What's new

"Now Showing"

Snoo

The Legend
I think you missed the point of Ben's comment Taylor. ;)

I'm going to see Inception tonight tho.. see what all these kids are talking about.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Toy Story 3

I bloody loved it! I felt like I was 4 again! I vaguely remember going to see the first one when I was four. Although it’s been 15 years since then, it still felt as fresh and as new as it did back in 1995.

I won’t say too much about the film, I don’t want to spoil it for people, but definitely go see it if you haven’t!

Also, it looks lovely in 3D.

10/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Toy Story loves Ben...but Ben does not love it :(

It seems like I post in here everyday now with at least 1 film, usually 2. Today is no different:

Watched Heathers today in Film Studies as a "treat". We were told it was a black high school comedy, but it was a bit more sinister than that. Reminded me of Mean Girls, but just meaner. It was a bit dated and the idea I have seen many times before, which was disappointing. But, it was worth a watch and had some quite comical and entertaining moments.

6.5/10

Just got back from seeing Inception. Bearing in mind, if you'd asked me yesterday after I'd seen Toy Story 3, I would have said that it was my favourite film of '10, Inception just takes best film to a whole new level.

It was simply awesome, amazing and yes - I understood more or less EVERYTHING and therefore was able to "predict" the ending, so to speak, half way through or so. The story is quite complex in all it's details, but I picked up on all of them and applied them throughout the film which only heightened the film as I was able to work out consequences of actions before they happen.

I actually was the only person in the screening who was so excited moments after the ending that they jumped out their seat, jumped a bit and shouted "That was amazing!" - Judging by the expressions on most people's faces and the conversations after the film, they didn't understand a lot of the film.

I don't think I'll see a better film this year, and I think that is most definitely one of the best films I have ever seen.

One major, major word of advice: Pay attention throughout. Even if you miss a little bit, don't sit there trying to work something out as you will miss something else important. The film is not for people who just want to watch an easy-going film.

If I called Toy Story "Amazing" yesterday, this was "Unimaginably epic in all ways, shapes and forms".

10/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Toy Story 3:
In short it was great and worth the wait.

The short film at the start about the Night and Day was good really artistic but not Pixars best. Still keep forgetting about Disney/Pixar films always putting shorts at the start though.
The film was really enjoyable though and everyone seemed to love it. It was funny and witty and they had clearly researched into a lot of prison break movies to get ideas and inspiration.
I’m not sure if I’m the only one that noticed this but the film had a totally different feel to it from the last two. I liked all the references back to the previous two films and how it’s been the same number of years in the film that it has been since the second one.

The pacing was super fast. The film shot along so quickly and when one scene got going it soon finished which was a bit weird. It just kinda dragged you along rather than letting you absorb the story at a slightly slower pace. It wasn’t really a bad thing though and it meant that the environments and locations were constantly changing.

It’s just scenes like...
the escape seemed too quick. Woody came back and they got out and escaped from the place that’s meant to be impossible to escape from first go.

The film is also quite predictable at times and it was easy to guess what would happen next. The prime example being...
when all the toys were going to die in the furnace. You knew the aliens would save them as they were the only toys not there and anyone with half a brain would know that they wouldn’t kill off all the toys.
It gets away with it though as it is a kids movie after all and they needed to fit it all in. But even then the scene seemed to once again end really quickly.

The ending was nice and wrapped things up nicely and the clips during the closing credits were a nice way to end as well. Possible sequel maybe?…..

Overall it’s a perfect sequel and is enjoyable for both children and adults. The 3D also helped involve you in the film more and wasn’t in your face at all so you forgot it was 3D after a while. But it worked though. :)
Going to give it a solid 8/10

peep

CF Legend
Ollie's review of Toy Story 3 is silly :p It's not too fast, if it was slower you would complain that it dragged and at times you got bored. It's just such a great film and I'll probably see it again at the weekend :D

Last night I saw Inception.

I love everything Christopher Nolan does, he is just one amazing writer/director. This film, just like Memento, is just a total head f*ck and is just pure brilliance. I found that I was able to follow what was going on but for slight moments here and there I would get a tad baffled. However saying that, the ending really confused me, it's clearly a cliffhanger to make everyone decide for themselves what has happened but at the time it was just so confusing. The reaction from the audience at that moment was epic too, it was a mix of "I'm confused"/clapping/cheering/"how can you leave it there?" - amusing when there are 2000 peeps in the screening :p

Overall it is an excellent film which is well written and directed.

Rating: 4.5/5

I still think Toy Story 3 is better :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, let's join the Inception sheep.

I'd heard nothing of this until word of Twitter reached me earlier this week :)

So, it's been a nice surprise, and means that I'm not expecting a great deal from it... Especially considering I find Dark Knight over-rated (well, too long to be fair) and though I loved Batman Begins the first two times I saw it at the cinema, don't find it's great to re-watch.

I am a big fan of Momento though and enjoyed Insomnia (even though it's a head ****).

So, I know very little, which is always good.

First of all, I'll give my final rating. It's a great film - 9/10.

I do that first so you understand I really enjoyed it, I did. I just don't think it was "clever" or "deep". It was just a superbly directed, well written action flick.

Actually, it was clever. I loved the way that the world was introduced without any kind of build up explaining the way the world is, or how the technology worked.

The premise was simply in place and the viewer was forced to accept it by the clever way Nolan just glanced off any probing into details by some more cool direction, or action.

It's also clever, because by never defining the technology or rules - Nolan could just make the story up as he's goes along. As long as it makes the set pieces make sense, or moves the story along - Nolan just "sticks it in there". The viewer accepts it, because it doesn't break any rules, because we don't have any rules :)

In terms of depth, it was a bit wishy washy and obvious (I'm with Ciall here, the film was very obvious from early on). So the story isn't really clever, and the film isn't really deep. The end was also completely unshockworthy.

However, it was an absolute joy to watch. The hotel scenes on the second level were utterly, utterly brilliant. The pacing was just about spot on and the camera work and direction was just lovely, lovely, lovely.

Acting again was all top notch.

For me, the film was like a wet tee-shirt competition. The plot/story was essentially the tee-shirt. It's see though and doesn't really add much to the film. You're not going to a wet tee-shirt competition for the tee-shirt though, sometimes you want it to be flimsy and see-through, because you're really there for the meat underneath ;)

I did tell Minor_Furie last night: "In five year's time when you're at uni, pretty much every student you're with will have this film on their Blu-Ray shelf". Anyone (other than Taylor) disagree?

Ollie

CF Legend
Don't know how many saw this on my Facebook page but I found it rather interesting.
It's a list of all the easter eggs that Disney/Pixar put in the film. Not only does it have screenshots but it also goes into detail about why they were placed there and what the meaning of it was.
It also has a section about all the characters for future Disney/Pixar films being put into the older films. For example Boo in Monsters in Having a Nemo teddy that she showed to Sully.

It's a rather interesting read and if I see the film again will be looking out for them. :)
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/18/toy ... ster-eggs/

I never noticed Sid was the garbage man either. But when I was told he was in the film after I guessed he'd be something like that when he was older. :p

kimahri

CF Legend
zz786244f5.jpg

TOTORO <3<3<3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Forgot, watched Dead Snow with Minor_Furie the other night.

It's the bastard love child of Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead, The Thing and Saving Private Ryan.

Snow+zombies+Nazis=awesome!

Snoo

The Legend
Inception

Basically what everyone has been saying.. minus Taylor and her dumb opinions.. :lol:

9.5/10

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
[Rec]2.

I finally got around to watching it, and it is a very good sequel. Not as many shocks or jumpy moments as the 1st, but it does centre more on the virus, how and what it is.

I won’t go into details in case I spoil it for anyone. But make sure you watch if you enjoyed the first one.

9/10.

Ben

CF Legend
^Ewww, Rec 2 was awful.

I'd SAY if you liked the first one watch it because it's more of the same, but, if you liked the first you'd realise it ended well and didn't need a sequel. This just adds more where it's not needed. And it was about as scary as Santa Claus.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Saw Wall-E last night and I thought it was excellent!

I found it amazing that you could create a 90 min film with such a little amount of speach. Being able to set the narrative, location, emotions, posibally hidden meanings totaly by robotic sounds and camera techniques.

9/10 I think for the way its put together.

Edit: #44 on Furie's film list for me ;)

Snoo

The Legend
American Pie: The Book of Love

Follows the trend of the rest of the AP's.. but I liked this one.

7/10

Our Family Wedding

Oo.. my family.

7/10

The Informant!

What complete and utter ****.

2/10

Invictus

I knew the ending.. but it was nice to hear the rest. Plus, rugby is cool. If it was about soccer.. **** that.

7/10

Cop Out

Laughs.

7/10

We rented one more.. but I forget what it was. Quite average/above average movies.. but nothing truly memorable.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
furie said:
It's also clever, because by never defining the technology or rules - Nolan could just make the story up as he's goes along. As long as it makes the set pieces make sense, or moves the story along - Nolan just "sticks it in there". The viewer accepts it, because it doesn't break any rules, because we don't have any rules :)

I believe that to be entirely deliberate, for reasons that resonate from the last shot backwards through the film - inconsistencies in the props, dialogue, characters and cutting.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Inception

The biggest mind f*ck since The Departed.

I'm 90% sure he's still in a dream at the end of the movie. His kids had the same clothes on. It doesn't really matter anyways because he's sane and will wake up eventually. As long as it's reality to him who gives a crap.
BTW, when they were in the warehouse, the "top" fell. Right?

That movie so complex, I loved it.

9/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ploddish said:
furie said:

I believe that to be entirely deliberate, for reasons that resonate from the last shot backwards through the film - inconsistencies in the props, dialogue, characters and cutting.

Absolutely agree. I did love the way that as the audience, you just "accepted" everything. It was very cleverly done, and for me, the cleverest part of the film; the way that Nolan used constant misdirection to stop you looking too closely.

I'll have to watch it again to pick up more, but it worked on a lot of levels ;)