What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Cinema times happened yesterday.

First up was Old dogs.

It stars John Travolta, Robin Williams and Seth Green. Now, I accidentally missed a bit off the beginning (bloody trains) and I think that ruined it a tad for me. However the film as a whole is very predictable and boring with the odd moment of amusement. John Travolta felt awkward at times too, like he didn't quite fit into the film. I'm sure it'll keep kids entertained but nothing more.

Rating: 1/5

Then I finally watched Shutter Island.

It was ok, not sure if I actually liked it. Sometimes I found the music to be distracting and more elaborate than it needed to be. I thought the cast were good though but sometimes I found the direction weird. I did like the twist near the end.

Rating: 3/5

Final 'film' of the day was Not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

It was a recording of the only performance of a opera/musical version of 'Life of Brian' at the Royal Albert Hall. It was hilarious and the sex scene made me cry from laughing so much. At the showing I went to loads of members from the choir were there and they brought with them the props used in the show. So when they all have their fake candles waving in the air on screen we had loads of fake candles in the audience at the cinema, was epic. The opera singers were amazing though and helped make the show just spectacular. The cameos were also hilarious, Palin <3

Rating: 5/5

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Kick-Ass

Oh my. Bow down to your new iconic cult classic, made in Britain!

So much of this film is absolutely bloody fantastic. Nic Cage is so good I was doubled-up in glee, the entire cast are excellent, but in Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl a star is born.

Matthew Vaughan has done an astonishing job, both in raising the finance independently (with the help of one Brad Pitt) and seeing through what is a hard-core graphic novel vision with style (and I do mean graphic).

It's not perfect, the script loses its way a little in the middle, the tone gets mishandled for about 10 minutes, and the plot is a bit too incestuous (not literally, it's not THAT hard core!). But the final 20 minutes are a thing of beauty.

If I was 15 my brain would have exploded like a gremlin in a microwave. It almost did anyway :p.

9/10

peep

CF Legend
Oh, me again? :p

Went to a preview screening of Kick-Ass tonight.

I've really been looking forward to this film and I'm glad to say it matched my very high expectations. It was hilarious and the cast were awesome. I thought the music choice was epic too. Just a great, fun film.

Rating: 4.5/5

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
I was at Kick Ass with Slayed, and have nothing much more to say other than:

For the love of the FSM, GO WATCH THIS BLOODY FILM RIGHT NOW.

The whole cinema was charged with this immense sense of enjoyment - there didn't appear to be an unhappy face in the house. I'm still on a complete high from it, and will definitely be watching it again.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I watched Quantum of Solace last night.

Storyline was awful to be honest, takes way way too long for you to actually realise what is going on, and the only thing that kept me watching was the action scenes, as for a bond movie they were awesome as always, but the storyline is poor.

Problem with Bond movies lately is to keep a sense of realism into it they're going way too political with their storylines which is something Pierre dislikes....

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus last night. What a very unusual, very querky yet magical film. Ok, the CGI was a bit "meh", and the characters were hard to get a good grip on, but it had it's charm which made me feel quite happy afterwards. It's not great, nor is it bad, but it's a nice little film.

7/10

VERY much looking forward to Kick-Ass on Wednesday.

Ollie

CF Legend
I really want to see Kick-Ass. :)

Anyway on Saturday I watched The Fourth Kind.
I remembered seeing trailers for it last year and not thinking it looked very good.

It's quite a slow film and it takes a while before decent things start to happen. I like how they insert that 'real' footage to make it more believable. Also liked how they did all the split screens when you had different things to look at during the different events that occur although it did get a bit annoying sometimes.

The acting is alright, some of the characters are annoying and ugly and you don't really care for them. I also like how at the end it asks you to make up your own mind. It presents you with an unbiased view on alien abduction and leaves it up to you to make the conclusion (because the film doesn't have one).

It's quite a good watch if you can find the time to dedicate to it. The 'real' footage is actually quite believable (although it's also fake) and seems like you're piecing things together yourself. I actually thought the 'real' footage was real until crazy stuff started happening like the possessions as I thought if they had footage like that then people wouldn't need to question the existence of alien life forms.

Anyway it's not an amazing film but is quite interesting to watch if you ever get to see it.
6/10

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
had the morning off, went to see Kick-Ass

Awesome film, Brilliant Soundtrack. If you've been following this film through production and things, you won't be disappointed. Not going to say anything else as I don't wanna spoil such a little gem of a film.

9/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Went to see Kick Ass, a film I've been rather excited about since reading about it in Empire about 4 months back. And seeing it get a massive 8.8 on IMDB and nothing but positive reviews, I was looking forward to it even more.

Now, I despise comic-book and superhero films. This was the only exception. Yes - it was funny, but only for about 20 mins with a few odd laughs scattered throughout. The humour was just the same, and quite frankly, after seeing trailers and such, I knew what to expect throughout. Lots of violence, which was at times amusing, but for the most part, I felt like the only one not laughing. The plot seemed to dip half way through, a chance for a piss, but gradually got better. Lots of cliché's which I hated, well directed, but nothing spectacular.

It's one of those films I probably don't need to see again. A tad disappointing, but worth seeing.

8/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Just got back from seeing Kick Ass. OMG it's so amazing. Never expected it to be that good.
I'll write a review about it tomorrow probably. :)
Easily a 9 (or even 10) out out 10. :D

Ollie

CF Legend
^Nah I won't post spoilers. Although everyone will be like "you gave away the film was called Kick Ass and it involves people getting their asses kicked, you've spoilt it".
It gets annoying as other members do it and noone has a go at them.

But yeah. Kick Ass is amazing and you should all go see it. :)

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Went to see Kick Ass, a film I've been rather excited about since reading about it in Empire about 4 months back. And seeing it get a massive 8.8 on IMDB and nothing but positive reviews, I was looking forward to it even more.

Now, I despise comic-book and superhero films. This was the only exception. Yes - it was funny, but only for about 20 mins with a few odd laughs scattered throughout. The humour was just the same, and quite frankly, after seeing trailers and such, I knew what to expect throughout. Lots of violence, which was at times amusing, but for the most part, I felt like the only one not laughing. The plot seemed to dip half way through, a chance for a piss, but gradually got better. Lots of cliché's which I hated, well directed, but nothing spectacular.

It's one of those films I probably don't need to see again. A tad disappointing, but worth seeing.

8/10

That's the problem really, something I've noticed is if you do follow closely the production of a film closely, know everything about it. You're bound to be dissapointed. It's happened to me a number of times and I've learnt just to enjoy it for what it is, instead of my crazy worked-up excited view of what it should be. I'm not saying don't follow the production of a film, just don't expect everything to be how you wanted.

I knew nothing of Kick-Ass and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Ollie

CF Legend
Right. Review time.

The only thing that annoyed me wasn't the film but the cinema. Out local one is amazing and has great visual and audio quality and it's just a better experience. For some reason the cinema nearest us wasn't showing Kick Ass at all which I was surprised at as it's quite a popular film.
So instead I had to walk round to Becky's (my friend) house and then walk to the bus, take the bus to a ferry, catch the ferry over to Portsmouth and walk round to the Cinema by the Spinnaker tower.
We were going to see it with two of my other friends Sam and Chris but they were crap at planning and decided to get on the bus which spends 45 minutes going round back routes. We were planning to get the 9:10 showing (it was 8:00 by this point) to give them time to arrive. We got in the huge queue and were just about to get our tickets when they rang saying they had just got off the ferry and to get tickets for the 8:20 showing. So we did. We used Orange Wednesdays (which are awesome) to get our tickets and went into the screen.
Needless to say they didn't turn up as they got up to find a huge queue so they had to see the later show. I didn't really mind as it meant me and Becky were alone, got good seats (as there were two in the middle of the cinema) and cinemas aren't really social anyway as everyone is watching the film.
Anyway I had three bags of foamy bananas with me which are amazing and the trailers began. I was so excited seeing the Trailer for Rec 2. It's about time it came out over here. :p

Anyway onto the film...

Kick Ass:
I hadn't hyped up this film at all. When I first heard about it I thought it was going to be some crap, cheesy teenage comedy but then I heard nothing but excellent reviews about it and I started to get excited.
I simply cannot flaw it. The only thing that I noticed that was wrong was that the marshmallows hadn't melted on the hot chocolates when they got back (which I only noticed because the guy next to me said it).
The style it's shot in is superb. It grabs you from the word go with a great opening. The introduction to each of the characters are amazing. It's so funny and the audience was laughing the whole time. The best character is easily Hit Girl who makes a superb entrance into the film.
I wont say anything that happens in the film but it's full of laughs all the way through and so many quotes that don't seem out of place at all. The pacing is great and the soundtrack sounded weird when I saw the track-list on iTunes but is AMAZING and fits into the film perfectly and maintains it's comic feel and that it's not taking itself to seriously.
At least three times I thought the film was going to end when it didn't. I'm not complaining but it just had so many amazing scenes in it.
The cast are great in their roles and none of them feel out of place. There's jokes and laughs coming thick and fast from all directions, and there's lots of references in it that will please comic book fans.
I'm surprised the film actually got a 15 rating. There's so much gore and swearing that I'm surprised it wasn't an 18. I'm not complaining though as I think film ratings need to relax a bit.

It's hard to put how amazing this film was into words. It's easily one of the best films I've ever seen and I recommend all of you to go and see it. As soon as I came out the cinema both myself and Becky wanted to see it again straight away but we'd spend out money and it was getting late.
I really want to see it again though which is something I don't usually want to do with films in the cinema. I would definitely see it again though but can't afford to travel all the way over to Portsmouth again and the tickets are really expensive without Orange Wednesdays. Still have no clue why the Apollo near me don't show it though. :?

Anyway... Kick Ass is an AMAZING film and I recommend it highly to everyone. I for one will definitely be getting the DVD (or Blu-Ray) the day it comes out.
9.5/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Watched Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel last night. It was rather good, and reminded me of Back to the Future and Shaun of the Dead, but without the zombies. The story could have been very complex, and at times it was, yet I spotted no plot holes and in the end, I had managed to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Not too long, nor too short. A nice Brit film.

7/10

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm kinda getting obsessed with Kick Ass. I've watched loads of videos online (trailers, clips etc) whereas prior to the film I had only seen the trailer where the guy jumps of the building.
I've got the graphic novel/comic and I never usually read comics and I've been reading reviews from loads of places who have all loved it.

Also I didn't know there was a red band trailer. Gives you a much better look at what to expect, but even then it doesn't show the best bits so it's still great.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQwAvfb_Xfs[/youtube]

I LOVE how we got a film before America for once. Now they know what it's like to wait when everyone else is watching it. Came out 26 March here in England but Americans have to wait till 16 April. :p

I also laughed at the warning before the film about the strobes as usually in films you can barely notice it but here it's like proper seizure inducing. :lol:

But yeah, I loved it loads and should be seeing it again next week in London. Hopefully we wont get the same sort of ****s in the same screening that I did when I last went there to see Bolt.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Fanboy :p

Just watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, another movie from my list. It was rather good, was consistent and had quite a few laughs in. The chemistry between Michael Cera's character and the other girl was well done, and you could see it build up over time. The film was very well presented and nicely told.

A very good movie.

8.5/10