What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ormerod said:
Well I sort of nodded off at points, so I woke up unaware of what happened!

Although that sounds unfair, I must stick to my judgements :p
The female assassain boosted my votes, it was such an unpredictable peak of the film!

PMSL! You nod off through a film with complex plot twists, then moan the film is confusing?

Go and join Taylor at the back of the class! :p

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
You have to understand that it was late at night and I was overwhelmed after watching 3 films previously that day!

:p

Year One

A terrible American comedy which fails at getting any laughs from me. There is so much that could be humoured from such a historic angle, but typically it's ignored and replaced with childish slapstick.

3.0/10

Aww no, I wanted to see that, I hope it's not really that bad!

Philadelphia

Great cutting-edge film which stars Tom Hanks as an AIDS victim who pursues justice after being unfairly sacked from his job as an eternee. Film based upon discrimination, and Hanks works well alongside Denzel Washington. There are a few random scenes in this film where you think ''wtf?'' but aside from that, it's great!

7.8/10

I love that movie, I haven't watched it in a while though. It's definitely a tear jerker!

Homer

Hyper Poster
Year One

Where to begin? I wannabe Monty Python's Life of Brian, but totally try too hard at humor and make an obligatory penis/buttsex/doin' it joke every 2 seconds or so. I didn't expect from this movie, but I expected it to be... I dunno... actually funny.

4/10

Ben

CF Legend
I watched The Departed today, great film with some amazing performances, BUT...

1. I think they could have cut it down a TAD. 2 and a half hours is LONG for the story, 15 minutes or so could have been shaved IMO.

2. The ending. UGH. The last 60 seconds well upset and annoyed me.

So, 8/10. My butt was numb at the end, but, it was awesome.

I also watched Forrest Gump (first time ever!), which I loved. I've not cried so many times in a single movie in my lifetime! Dragged a bit in the middle (I sound like Tay!), but, overall, magical. Big Fish is better though for that similar "idea". 8/10.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Quite possibly the worst thing about "Year One" is that the duo who made it, are the ones lined up to make ghostbusters 3.

I also watched Forrest Gump (first time ever!), which I loved. I've not cried so many times in a single movie in my lifetime! Dragged a bit in the middle (I sound like Tay!), but, overall, magical. Big Fish is better though for that similar "idea". 8/10.

I thought Forrest Gump was suppose to be a comedy?! Oh well, I'll have to give it a watch someday soon since I have it.

Ben

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:

I thought Forrest Gump was suppose to be a comedy?! Oh well, I'll have to give it a watch someday soon since I have it.

It is, partially. Comedies can be sad too!

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
I am disappointed that you didn't like Eternal Sunshine, Ben. Though, I would say that, it's one of my favourite films. Words don't describe the sense of wellbeing and happiness that I had after watching it. It's just one of those things that clicked so completely that I could do nothing but fall in love with it.

The Adventures of Baron Muchausen is on this Sunday on channel 5, everyone! Don't miss it!

Ollie

CF Legend
The Witches:

Brings back memories when watching it when I was in school. Still a good film and fun to watch. The effects are still pretty good and the make-up on the grand high witch is fantastic.
The mouse scenes are also pretty well done.
Great to see this film hasn't aged that much and it still all looks fairly real.

6/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Push

I'm usually not into sci-fi, thriller stuff, but I watched Push as it was the only film I could find. It was really, really good (surprisingly). It's about 100 times better than Heroes, as it actually follows a sort of logical plot.

Though it is 2 hours long, you really get into it almost instantaneously, and the time just flies by.

I still have a few holes to fill, but overall, a very good film.

8.5/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Maltese Falcon

Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart in possibly his second most famous role) is the wild and clever detective hunting for the mysterious black bird - embroiled in murder and suspense.

One of the best 100 movies and all that - it's a great film. You can never quite pin down the plot, Spade or the Falcon. It's a fantastic ethereal story where you're never sure who is what, or what they feel is true.

In terms of time frame, for 1941, this is easily 30+ years ahead of its game. It's a hard film to watch today, as it's slightly irreverent, but it's beautiful in execution and performance.

Absolutely one for the movie buffs out there, and maybe worth a try if you're fed up with CGI and cardboard sets :p

4/5

Sean_Rohan

Mega Poster
The Hangover

I didn't get what was so 'lol' funny about it? Sure the jokes were there and did make me grin a few times (I think I let out a yelp somewhere) but... it WASN'T as funny as everyone else in the theatre found it.

I didn't understand the two mixes of 'funny' comedy and 'just down right stupid 'why?'' comedy (Mr. Chow/Mike Tyson scenes)... was to it cater for the thick as **** audience?
That's the problem, The Hangover caters for one audience too many.

The premise of being a really witty natural comedy just slips away as the film progresses.
And the ending was daft. I can't stand the whole 'wrapped up in a nice little bow and kissed on the head' endings these films churn out from their happy high moral arseholes - I didn't give two shiatsu’s about the wedding.
It was like a tribute to the god awful Lord of the Rings ending... I wanted to scream; ''Just stop... There! It was just fine there!''

I think it tried too much to not end up like most US comedy films... and ended up like... most US comedy films. Well, just a little.
It's better than Year One (although Polio is funnier than Year One) - but it's just not as funny as I hoped it to be.

5/10

peep

CF Legend
^You fail miserably.

I went to see the Hangover for a second time on Friday night as I wanted to show everyone I was with how funny it is. They all concurred how funny it is, you sir have no sense of humour.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
peep said:
^You fail miserably.

I went to see the Hangover for a second time on Friday night as I wanted to show everyone I was with how funny it is. They all concurred how funny it is, you sir have no sense of humour.

Sorry, but this quoted for the truth. It was epically awesome =D

Sean_Rohan

Mega Poster
...Hmm,

I think the case is I just have better taste? huh :wink: ?
I don't care if your friends liked it - they hold no opinion that I care about. (they also have very poor taste :lol: ) There's thousands that have enjoyed this movie - doesn't mean i have to.

Apparently dogging is a fun thing to do also, but I don't like that either... See?

I could bitch back and list how many comedies I've seen, and what I think are in the realms of actually being funny but there's no point.

Look, I do understand people will start whinging when a film like this doesn't please a few (I will admit I'm in the VERY tiny minority here) but I just couldn't bring myself to like this film.
I won't go down the 'oh, but it's just my opinion' route, then there'll be no point of a discussion. But to be told I have no sense of humour due to one review... that's just a bit petty.

I'm very sorry I didn't like the film. I found it was just not THAT funny.

Generally I find it hard to enjoy silver screen comedies
I think I enjoy my telly programmes - US comedies really hit the nail on the head, it's just a shame the movie industry doesn't do it for me. Because there IS potential.

Dave

CF Legend
Sean_Rohan said:
...Hmm,

I think the case is I just have better taste? huh :wink: ?
I don't care if your friends liked it - they hold no opinion that I care about. (they also have very poor taste :lol: ) There's thousands that have enjoyed this movie - doesn't mean i have to.

So you don't care that they don't find it funny, while at the same time you say they have poor taste, riiight.....

Here comes the nail in your twat coffin

I think I enjoy my telly programmes - US comedies really hit the nail on the head

Probably 80% of US TV comedies are rubbish.

Ben

CF Legend
I liked The Hangover, but, it is VERY much "dumb" humour. There's nothing actually "great" about it, and it's never actually "clever". It's pure toilet humour, and some people don't like that - what's so wrong with that?

I did think it was hilarious, BUT, some parts were a little too OTT and made me just cringe, not laugh.

Plus, the guy with no tooth and the other non-fat, non-groom guy were cute.

Sean_Rohan

Mega Poster
Sorry Dave but listen to this sound...

''Whoooooooosssshhhh''

Tell what it is yet? It's the sound of you totally missing the point. It was sarcasm, I'm sorry that you didn't get it.
I don't know you, (and we both know we don't care for that) but honestly, try not to be so rude next time.

Probably? No. Look, there's a lot of mainstream comedies out there that are rubbish. I agree. But I doubt you've seen them ALL (neither have I) so, if you so kindly remove that nail out of my twat coffin please?

Go take some photographs of some rocks or something...

Error

Strata Poster
Just spend the past two hours sitting through Twilight to try and see what the big deal is.

Can't find a SINGLE decent thing in this movie.

Effects blew.
Story blew.
Plot blew.
Character development didn't exist.
Romance was more creepy-stalker then cute.
And the whole "I just moved her I'm popular in thirty seconds" thing isn't real.

There was a climax that lasted a whole 10 minutes (not even joking). It took Bella a freaking hour to figure out he was a vampire.
Oh yeah, VAMPIRES DON'T ****ING SPARKLE.

0/10
Nothing saved this. Not even the soundtrack. So, WHY IS IT DOING SO WELL?

Bloody fangirls...