What's new

"Now Showing"

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
^ Firstly, I said he was probably my favourite director, and I didn't read any reviews beforehand as I really wanted to see it for myself. Therefore, I had no idea it was a musical.

I don't know how you couldn't realise it was a musical. It confuses me.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ I didn't want to hear anything before I saw it, so I had no idea it was a musical. It says nowhere on the case that it is a musical either...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Nope, mine says nothing, Just says in a big strip 'Blockbuster Video' :lol:

I only have the front cover, which says nothing of it being a musical.

Ben

CF Legend
Well, of course not, it wouldn't.

Most people would have the back as well, or have enough general knowledge to know it's a musical... But... I guess not everyone...

mrclam

Giga Poster
The boy who cried Werewolf
Nikleodean pictures

This isnt out yet. But they're filming this outside my appartment at the moment and the %$^ers blocked my car in this morning so i had to catch a bus to work and was late.

so

0/10 for this movie out of principle

(negative scores if im blocked in again tomorrow too)

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^LOL!

^^LOL!

Ciall, it's a FAMOUS MUSICAL!! Your only saving grace is that it's been made as a non-musical quite a few times too.

And I still maintain Helena Bonham-Carter can't sing.

Round-up:

The Damned United
Interesting one this. A story about football legend Brian Clough that's part real and part fiction - bit like Frost/Nixon then, funnily enough by the same writer ^_^.

It's an enjoyable film, well shot on a low budget, and it was great to see how football was run before all the money flooded in. Some great acting too, although I thought Michael Sheen didn't really nail his character this time.

I'm not sure how well it will work for non-football watchers - the drama is there, but it may well come across as one-dimensional and forced, which to an extent it is.

6.5/10, I enjoyed it.

Southland Tales
I've been wanting to see this for ages - creator of Donnie Darko's next film, sounded interesting.

**** me! When it got laughed out of Cannes I thought it was just the critics having fun, but this is quite possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I'd go into the plot (what there is of it), but it's not worth wasting your time. Shockingly bad ideas and writing, the poor actors don't stand a chance. Only positives are that it's well shot, and there's a good fantasy dance sequence with Justin Timberlake. Yep, it's that bad.

0/10, a load of self-obsessed ****.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets
I liked the first one, it was nonsense but fun. This is even more nonsense and a bit less fun, but diverting enough - it does contain the most ridiculous plot though! More so than usual for this kind of fluff. It also has a flat ending, just like the first one.

4/10, watchable if you turn your brain off.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Kolya

My friend who is obsessed with Russian sent me this film just because there is a kid in it who speaks Russian. It's a Czech film and I had the option of watching it in Czech, French, Spanish or German all with English subtitles, so I chose the original language.

I don't normally watch subtitled films but it was a kinda cute film which didn't feel like it was trying to ram a message down your throat. The kid, Kolya, is so cute and the film does have its funny moments. It's about this guy who gets married to a woman just so she can get Czech residency but she runs away to Germany, leaving her five year old boy with him. It is a tad predictable but still a good watch.

3.5/5

Overall, I found it the second worst Burton film I have seen, with the worst being the dreadful Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

5/10

Yah right, Sweeney is absolutely amazing! The songs, the cast, the atmosphere... Everything about it is fabulous!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Nobody seems to understand that everyone has a different opinion on things. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on anything they want, and people need to respect that. I feel I'm being targeted as I don't like the musical aspect of Sweeney Todd.

Lain

Giga Poster
No, you're being targeted because you have stupid reasons for disliking it.

"I didn't like it because I didn't know it was a musical."

Come on. A film you said yourself you were excited about when it was out at the cinema, 15 months on and you don't know the premise of the film?

It's ridiculous.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You're being targeted because you somehow managed to miss the fact it was a musical before you watched it :lol:

I can't believe you heard of the film without knowing what it was. Every review, every clip, eveyr mention of it was about how it's a musical.

For months on here, every mention of Sweeny Todd was about how it was a musical. Even avoiding reading, you'll still skim read the words and it will register.

It juts beggars belief :lol:

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I didn't read any reviews whatsoever as I didn't want anything to spoil it. When it came out at the cinema, the TV advert had nothing about it being a musical, the rental case had nothing about it being a musical, it's an 18, which is hardly and appropriate category for a musical.

Perhaps I should have looked into the film before I saw it :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
^All the adverts and trailers had bloody singing in it. Even Taylor knew it was a musical so I haven no idea how you didn't. It's just a fail on a massive level.

Ben

CF Legend
Slayed said:
And I still maintain Helena Bonham-Carter can't sing.

Ahhhh, but she doesn't HAVE to! It's not an operatic, beautiful role. It's a lot more about emotion and performance that role in terms of voice. Which Helena has coming out of her ears. If she had been cast in Phantom, yeah, that wouldn't work. But, in Sweeney, I think having someone that misses notes actually WORKS. I mean, just look at the people that play her on stage, wonderful actresses with great voices (well, minus Pattie LuPone who is crap), but, even they "sabotage" their voices, for want of a better term.

But, I do love her to pieces <3

Anyway, I have watched...

Die Hard 4 - Alright I guess. A bit too silly at times (aiming a car at a helicopter and the whole freeway and fighter plane fight...?), but, good fun. 6/10. Nothing I'll buy and watch again, but, did what it says on the tin.

Hannibal - I surprisingly liked this. Don't get me wrong, it isn't as good as Silence, but, Moore was a pleasant surprise, Hopkins was... um... Hopkins and the atmosphere was quite good. I felt a little bit more cannibalism would have been nice (he eats a grand total of zero people... huh? What a rubbish cannibal he is), but, a solid sequel, and better than Red Dragon. 7/10

Batman Returns - I had forgotten how AWESOME this film is! It's Burton through and through, with some amazing performances and a real ability to keep you watching. I think it's probably my second favourite Batman film that has been made (so, better than Begins, but Dark Knight still wins). 9/10

OH, and

it's an 18, which is hardly and appropriate category for a musical.

*FACEPALM*

You are aware of how much sex, violence and other debauchery actually oozes out of a lot of musicals (stage more so than screen), right?