What's new

"Now Showing"

ryan462

Hyper Poster
Saw 'Dammed United' last week. Pretty good film for someone that likes football and it has a few funny moments. I enjoyed it and so did the people that went with me :)
Rating = 7/10

Snoo

The Legend
Gran Torino

Much better then I thought it would be. The acting made it suffer a bit, the story was class imo.

9/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben, I think that FAFDM and TGTBATU both really rest on the final scenes. I love the last twenty to thirty minutes of both.

I did say about TGTBATU though didn't I, they needed to chop out at least thirty minutes of extraneous story in the middle somewhere. It adds nothing to the characters or plot - just an excuse to blow **** up. However, overall it's a better bit of film making. It's frustrating that you just want to fast forward that mid section of the film.

peep

CF Legend
Watched Fun with Dick and Jane on TV last night.

Umm, was ok I suppose. Wouldn't exactly say it was fun as the title suggests apart from the scene with the voice changers but even that went on too long and became unfunny. I liked the end joke about Enron.

Rating: 3/5

Error

Strata Poster
My mom and I decided to watch Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan

Would like to advancely warn that Star Trek is what I grew up on. I've seen them all so many times, but it's still a good movie to me.

And this was no different. The storyline is pretty good, basing it on an episode of the original series. It always has occurred to me that they had very good storytelling elements, with foreshadowing and references to famous literature (in this case, Moby Dick). Being an 80s movie, the effects weren't too realistic (besides the modeling), and if you've seen the first movie, you see several recycled shots from the first one.

Overall, it's still a good movie. Yes, it's Star Trek. Yes, I'm a nerd for this crap. But I do like how it tells the story very well. If you don't like Sci-Fi, it's still good for one time.

9/10

AeRo

Hyper Poster
spicy said:
Watched The Godfather 2 for the first time yesterday just in time for when the game releases.

Absolutely loved it and one of my favourite films ever and can't believe I haven't seen it before now as I loved The Godfather 1.

10/10

All three are awesome. They are my favourite movies of all time, but have to be watched as a trilogy ... in one day cool)

Coppola restoration on Blu Ray is absolutely amazing.

peep

CF Legend
Just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

What a legend of a film. I love this film it has so many funny moments. The Knights who say ni are probably my favourite but the black knight ("It is but a scratch") comes a close second :p

Rating: 5/5

Nic

Strata Poster
^ seconded! Might have to dig the DVD out tonight. Gotta be a few months since I last watched it :)

Ben

CF Legend
I watched that yesterday!

The "bring me a... SHRUBBERY" part is blatantly the best bit though.

"... bring me... another shrubbery! But, place it a little higher than the other one to create a nice two level effect with a nice little path running between the two" "a path! a path!"

peep

CF Legend
^It has to be one of the best comedy scenes ever made.

Just watched 0SS 117: Cairo, Nest of spies on DVD.

I still think this is a great film and it's so much better than any UK/American spy spoof. It actually has a decent plot and a great plot twist at the end.

Rating: 4.5/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Just watched Sweeny Todd on DVD as I wanted to see it in the cinema when it first came out, and was disappointed to see that it was an 18.

I almost turned it off after 30 mins as I was so confused, the plot wasn't very developed, and worst of all IT WAS A MUSICAL!!! Grrr! I hate musicals, and nobody bothered to tell me that this was.

I carried on watching only so that I could do this review. About 40 mins in, I finally got into it a bit, though I still had no idea why it was rated an 18, only two swear words and no blood, violence or gore. It felt like a 12.

Then there was another swear word and inappropriately demonstrated throat slashing, now I could see it at a 15.

Overall, I was very much put off by the constant singing, which I didn't listen to as I hated it, and this explained most of the storyline. Luckily, I know the story of Sweeny Todd...or so I thought. The ending was completely different and very disappointing for a Tim Burton film, who is probably my favourite director.

Overall, I found it the second worst Burton film I have seen, with the worst being the dreadful Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

5/10

Ben

CF Legend
If you didn't know Sweeney Todd was a musical, and claim Burton as your favourite director, you deserve to have the discomfort resulting from your idiotic mistake placed upon you.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Firstly, I said he was probably my favourite director, and I didn't read any reviews beforehand as I really wanted to see it for myself. Therefore, I had no idea it was a musical.