What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Yesterday I watched Wanted on Blu-ray.

I love this film, great actors, cool plot, awesome director and one of the most memorable scenes in cinema last year (the train sequence). Timur *Russian* (the director) is ace and his first Hollywood film is just inspiring.

Earlier I watched Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray.

Its one of those films that everyone has seen at some point in their life, its a classic. I have to admit Disney have done a fantastic job remastering it, the colours are so vibrant and it just gives the film a whole new lease of life.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
I watched Cass on Saturday night.

For those who don't know, it's about Cass Pennant, a former football hooligan and one of the leaders of the Inter City Firm (West Ham's old firm) and it basically follows his life from his childhood full of racism through to an assassination plot to him in the late 90's.

It's very interesting, if you're a fan of the other films along these lines (i.e Football Factory, Green Street) then this is a recommended watch, it's a very gritty film and probably not for you if you're easily offended by racism.

Overall a 8.5/10

Saw 5 (I used 5 because I suck at roman numerals)

I was expecting it to be worse than the fourth, because I really disliked the fourth and expected the series to kinda dwindle in quality, but this seemed to be right back up there. I liked that it had a good mix of traps as well as twists and psychological things, so that balanced it out nicely, kinda like Saw 3. I also liked that it answered a lot of questions I'm sure many views have. I'd rank them like this:

1. Saw 1
2. Saw 2
3. Saw 3/5
4. Saw 4

I'd give it 7.5

I was still terribly confused at some points, so it lost a bit for that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
Earlier I watched Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray.

Its one of those films that everyone has seen at some point in their life, its a classic. I have to admit Disney have done a fantastic job remastering it, the colours are so vibrant and it just gives the film a whole new lease of life.

It's still absolute tosh though peep! Sleeping Beauty is THE worst Disney film. Low budget twoddle.

What've I watched? Robot Chicken: Star Wars tickled my funny bone - was good for a quick half hour watch :)

The Untouchables for Minor_Furie, he needs to see some classic films. It's lost it a little bit over the years, and I'd forgotten how irritating Kevin Costner is. The sounds track (while excellent) is blaring and very much "I AM EPIC FILM SOUNDTRACK". Love the baby in the station scene still too. However, it did just feel like a few set-pieces pulled together into a story, but in reality there's not a lot going on.

However, very well directed (some lovely, lovely shots) and (apart from Costner and Connery's death scene) the acting is top notch. So it's still a great film, just maybe showing it's age?

Ollie

CF Legend
Iron Man:

Watched this yesterday. Won't give it a proper review as during the first half hour or so everyone was talking and I couldn't hear what some of the characters were saying so I missed the reason why he had that disk implanted on him.
So I'll give it about a 7.5/10 but it may go up or down when I see it again.

peep

CF Legend
Just watched the Italian film Cinema Paradiso on DVD.

It's brilliant, I really didn't know what to expect but it was moving and at times, amusing. I recommend this film to everyone. Its basically the life story of someone called Toto. You discover his friendship between him, cinema and his local cinema's projectionist. It's also a great homage to cinema and early cinema (film is based from 30s (I think) to 80s) and also gives you a glimpse into life as a poor Italian in Sicily.

Rating: 5/5

@ Furie. What the hell do you mean Sleeping beauty is the worst Disney film? Have you not seen the complete waste that is the Black Cauldron or the trash that is Oliver & Co?

marc

CF Legend
I watched the Clone Wars. Well it was watchable but not great. As soon as it started and did not play the proper theme tune I though oh.

Anyway the story was pants really rescue the son of Jaba, it was always clear how it would end.

The affects could have been a lot better seeing its all computer generated.

5/10

Ollie

CF Legend
@ Furie. What the hell do you mean Sleeping beauty is the worst Disney film? Have you not seen the complete waste that is the Black Cauldron or the trash that is Oliver & Co?
I really like Oliver & Co not only because it includes the most awesome name in history but because it had some good songs and was amusing to watch when I was young. :p

Anyway I've just watched...

Click:

Really witty and clever comedy. I really liked the idea of a remote that controls everything. But it also shows that as amazing as it is, it can change your life for the worst in an instant.
It also had a really deep message about how you should enjoy every little bit of life and take it as slow as it comes.
There were quite a few moments where I laughed out loud as it reached it's emotional ending. Although they did take the easy way out when the story turns for worse "Highlight to read, but may spoil the ending if you haven't seen it" (It was all a dream).
Even though they did do that, they made it work and showed how the whole event made him take a look at his life and change it for the better.
Worth viewing and really enjoyable to watch.
8/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:

They're not Disney, Disney though. Even so, I still reckon that they're better. Sleeping Beauty is exceptionally poorly animated, badly scripted and badly executed.

Black Cauldron and Ollie & Co may be trash films, but in terms of effort that went into them, they are still light years ahead of Sleeping Beauty - they also don't pretend to be anything other than pap.

Talking of pap, I watched The Hive. A swarm of ants if infected by a mysterious meteorite and becomes intelligent and starts to aggressively attack the local population of an island... somewhere (it's never really made clear).

Great premise so far, flesh eating ants working together aggressively to eat everyone in their path.

The film makes it easy for you to work out the character depths and relationships. When the beautiful scientist is on screen, there's a loud and overbearing sweet tune played. We soon discover she's an old squeeze of the scientist fighting the ants. I wonder if they'll ever end up back together? Let's put it this way, there's lots of that music by the end.

The head scientist (it's explained subtly) helped out his old lecturer who was a drunk and a gambler five years ago. He paid off his debts and got him sober, but he spends the film descending into alcoholism... I wonder if the melancholy music which always surrounds him may turn to music of triumph, overcoming his inner demons and that of a hero by the end of the film?

So, we're two minutes into the film now, and we've learned this from the hard nosed fighter of the group. He's big, he's bald, he's black he's badass, he's going to die - but not before apologising for not trusting the above drunken lecturer I'm sure.

Lastly, there's the single blond clever techy woman. Could she be in peril at any point? Is there unreleased sexual tension between her and the head scientist? Could this film be any more ham fisted in execution?

All we need now is a Prime Minister who just wants to "nuke them", an enigmatic (read - doesn't speak English but got the part anyway) army captain and an orphan to rescue and we've got the makings of a great film!

To be fair, the film started dreadful, and rapidly descended in the ludicrous. It really has to be watched for you to understand just how piss-poor this film really is. It's just about well made enough to be watchable, and dreadfulness (and ever worsening plot) make it exceptional entertainment.

Truly, one of the worst films I've ever been able to sit through :lol:

10/1000

[quoet]It's still absolute tosh though peep! Sleeping Beauty is THE worst Disney film. Low budget twoddle. [/quote]

NO WAY! Aladdin, Pocahontas and 101 Dalmations were probably my three least favourite "classic" Disney films.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
NO WAY! Aladdin, Pocahontas and 101 Dalmations were probably my three least favourite "classic" Disney films.

YES WAY!

Though maybe I need to watch it again. I've only seen it the once because I thought it was so poor - but that was 20 years ago... I just really disliked the way it seemed rushed and badly made towards the end (the scene with Prince Charming hacking through the thorns) and the way that the main characters just seemed to be rehashed.

Maleficent is about the only real stand out thing for me.

peep

CF Legend
^^How dare you type such nonsense!? Aladdin is excellent, one of my favs as a child and Robin Williams as the genie is classic. Pocahontas I haven't seen in ages (have it on DVD though), I agree its not the best film Disney have made but its still watchable and entertaining. 101 Dalmations! How the hell can you say thats a bad film? Its all about Cruella, one of the best villains Disney have created.

I can slightly see your point Furie. You mean just the films made when Walt was around. I still enjoyed Sleeping Beauty though.

Furie, the Hive sound brilliant (well, terrible, but fun because its bad).

kimahri

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:

HERESY!

Aladdin is <3

And 101 Dalmatians is awesome. Live action is a bit nirgh but the cartoon is great.

Lets have a Disney spazzout!

Snoo

The Legend
As I said.. this is why you do NOT listen to ANYTHING Taylor ever has to say about movies.. because they are wrong.

Aladdin = 100% sex.

Movies, that I can remember, seeing over break:

Hancock

Went in a totally different direction then what I thought it was going to go, but it was ok in terms of action.. but the story sucked a large one.

6/10

The Hills Have Eyes 2

What a whole lot of suck.

4/10

Aladdin

Taylor, suck me.

10/10

The Lion King

I haven't enjoyed this fancy film in quite a few years and, of course, enjoyed the hell out of it.

10/10

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, Aladdin is actually amazing. I'd say it's the funniest 'normal' (ie, pre-Pixar) Disney film. Not the best, that would be Lion King. But, funniest.

And I like Pocahontas a lot because I think it has a good story, a nice message and an awesome score. Shame they didn't leave If I Never Knew You in though, that's an amazing love song, and completes it IMO. Still, Colors of the Wind is still one of my favourite Disney songs... ever.

I'm gonna watch Saw V soon-ish. Like, tomorrow? Yay...?

peep

CF Legend
Just finished watching Meet the Robinsons on Blu-ray.

I love this film, good animation, excellent story and a fantastic score by the legend that is Danny Elfman. It's also one of those films which makes you feel all good inside at the end, just enjoyable goodness.

Ollie

CF Legend
^That doesn't look too bad seeing the rating. 4.5 is quite a generous score on IMDB. :p

Anyway. Watched "Click" again tonight with my mum. I still really like it and think it's in my top 5 favourite films. :)