What's new

"Now Showing"

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
loefet said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
And for whoever it talking about the Japanese anime crap, well, it's crap.
Riight...

And the stuff that Hollywood produce is top notch then...

You clearly have missed out on a lot to say the least. For instance, anything by Hayao Miyazaki pawns all movies that Disney have produced in recent years. There is just so many quality shows/movies that are to be discovered over there.
So the problem is that all the good stuff is still in Japan.

Thankfully, John Lasseter attatched himself to Disney's Bolt, which has seen some pretty good reviews so far. It seems Disney might well be on the comeback now that he's helping.

nadroJ said:
And whoever said they want to see Bolt needs a smack in the head or something, seriously, a film with Miley Cyrus AND John Travolta is bound to be epic EPIC fail.

What does it matter? I don't care who they are, just that they make a good job of portraying the characters.

Anime, like all forms of entertainment, has good and bad things about it. I have little experience with it, I've only watched FMA and Wolf's Rain, which were both superb in their style, story and setting. The music was pretty superb too.

I'm not entirely sure where the whole "Oh ma gawd, Anime sucks" stigma came from, but it's bloody annoying. Give something a go?

Le sigh.

Bad Santa

Haha, this was on T.V. and my stepdad told me to watch it, so I did, and I was surprised at how funny it was! I thought it was a cute Christmas movie / comedy, with likeable characters that would definitely be worth watching again.

8/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
^Yeah.

So I'll talk about The Thing. It was on television the other night so I watched it for the first time.

I liked. I thought the effects were good... but the whole brash "HERE'S THE MONSTER. BE SCARED" approach doesn't work for me as well as the subtler "you can't see the thing that just killed him" of Alien.

Still, it was good at paranoia, and all this, which was good. Oh, and the whole defibrillator thing made me jump a mile and a half.

8/10

Ben=Win! :)

I loved The Thing when I was it on TV when I was 12 or 13. Back then, it was really something else - utterly terrifying. However, it's aged quite badly (John Carpenter so it's bound to) and really lost it's affect over the years.

Still, it's a fun film, and the defibrillator scene still remains one of those stand out cinematic moments for me :)

Don't watch the original!!! :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
Pulp Fiction:
Good movie.
Opened well and closed well but I felt the scenes in the middle were boring. I enjoyed it up till the overdose bit then after that it lost pace and seemed to drag on until the guy gets shot in the back of the car.
I got lost at some points and found it hard to work out what some of the characters were talking about. Also the way the scenes weren't in order was weird as characters that were dead or had been killed suddenly appear again later in the film. I like the way the first and last scene are tied together though.
I do think the whole film should of been about the two guys (can't remember their names) as I felt that the character who was the boxer didn't fit in and his scenes were just placed in there to fill the rest of the film.
It was a good film though and was well scripted and can see why when people saw it when it first came out thought it was amazing. But it's aged badly and only really appeals to people who have already seen it.
Worth viewing at least once.
7/10

kimahri

CF Legend
You suck ollie :p

Anyhoo. I just finished watching Requiem for a Dream. Missed the first quarter or something but that doesn't matter. It was brilliant, Harsh gritty and stuff. It made me feel really sad in some parts as well. Pulp fiction made me not want to do drugs, RfaD sealed that.

9/10

Now I just have to Record American History X on Sky+ and watch Jacob's Ladder.

Snoo

The Legend
The Final Season

Movie about this baseball team in mid-America playing, obviously, its last go around. Based on from a High School dyanasty.

Well.. the acting wasn't incredible, but I liked the story.. which is an actually true one.

8/10

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
http://www.laboratory101.com/?p=233

For film buffs and intruiged onlookers alike, I give you a compendium of famous tracking shots.

Read this and thought of Furie :)

Some of them are superbly orchestrated feats of cinematography. I absolutely LOVED the Strange Days shot; shame about the film, really. Mark kinda popped my want to watch that :p

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Anchorman was on TV, so I decided to watch it so friends would quit complaining at me to see it. It was ok, but not the hilarity everyone made it out to me. Too much random, not enough good humor moments. At least now I know where half of the lines people use come from... 6/10, probably.

peep

CF Legend
Saw Twilight today at the cinema.

Wasn't expecting much despite the mass hype surrounding it. The film started off quite badly imo. It started to get better though then it got really good. The actors were good and quite believable. I found the direction quite poor at times too, massive swaying in the camera at inappropriate moments, it actually annoyed me in one scene.

Rating: 3/5

Ok, nothing amazing, vampires are cool.

A

Anonymous

Saw Plan 9 from outer space the other day, and I really have to say that it's one of the worst films I have ever seen. The crappy effect's couldn't even cheer me up. This movie surely belongs on the worst movie list.

Also managed to see Ghost in the shell 2.0 yesterday.
It's a reedit of one of the best anime movies ever, they have basically made a "Star Wars" update on it with updated sound, cleaned up image and then throw in a bunch of CG scenes. I was really bummed out since I had gotten the impression that they had completely redone the movie in CG, but there was just a few scenes here and there :( , even though it was one of the best CG I have ever seen, I still wish that they had redone the whole thing.
Still a nice movie to see, but not as good as the original.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
loefet said:
Saw Plan 9 from outer space the other day, and I really have to say that it's one of the worst films I have ever seen. The crappy effect's couldn't even cheer me up. This movie surely belongs on the worst movie list.

I love Plan 9. After you've seen it, everything starts to make sense... ;)

Seriously, seriously **** film. However, it's entertaining. I've seen lots of bad films which fail to entertain in their badness, so Plan 9 wins. I've seen it dozens of times, and I just adore how exceptionally piss poor it is.

Poor Bella Lugosi, what a way to end your career.

I've watched lots.

V: For Vendetta
Missed it on release and stuff. Caught it on TV the other night. Good film, but not outstanding. Well worth watching though - made me smile a fair amount.

Top Gun
Keeping up with Minor_Furie's education *cough*, he needed to see one of the films which defined the 80's. It's rubbish, but fab. He had the same mixed feelings too :lol:

Bugsy Malone
LOL! After Ian mentioning it a couple of weeks back, it was on TV. Minor_Furie remembered it, and wanted to watch it. Such a silly film, Allan Parker did the best he could with the cast too. Enjoyed it once more :)

A

Anonymous

^ This was the second time I tried to watch Plan 9. Last time (years ago) I got bored halfway through and didn't really bother with it. This time I more or less forced myself to finish it. But it still didn't "do" anything for me. :(

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've seen a fair few films since I last posted so here we go:

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. I absolutely loved this even if it did have a totally unbelievable plot line. In RL the geeky kind of awkward wannabe girl NEVER gets the popular guy, it's just not how things work. Despite this, it was a really relaxed feel-good girly movie which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Ruins. What a load of crap. Why put a picture of a zombie looking king of creature on the back of the DVD case if your film features so such creatures? It really confused me and the whole story of the film was really gappy and didn't make a whole lot of sense. If you've seen Paradise Lost it's a lot like it only MUCH worse. Seriously, do not watch.

Black Christmas
. I think it's something of a remake, but if you're like me and were getting bored of lovey dovey sweety pie Christmas films this was a real breath of fresh air. Of course, it's delightfully rubbish and overtly gory, with an underlying sense of incestuousness, but was an easy watch especially if you like slasher movies. Extremely typical.

Finding Neverland. I'd wanted to see this film for a long time and luckily for me it was on this afternoon so yay, wish fulfilled. Wasn't Depps best film obviously but had a very light hearted storyline which is a great accomplishment considering there is a rather sad death in the course of the film. Brilliantly imaginative and exciting, childish yet mature. Watching this film is also very hard if your Dad is in the background saying 'this is crap'. Still entertaining though.

Snoo

The Legend
The Bucket List

I enjoyed it quite a bit actually. I heard it was a decent film but it really did give you a perspective on your life and what you would do with what you had left. I did spot quite a few goofs though.. which is something that should have been checked.

7.5/10

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. I absolutely loved this even if it did have a totally unbelievable plot line. In RL the geeky kind of awkward wannabe girl NEVER gets the popular guy, it's just not how things work. Despite this, it was a really relaxed feel-good girly movie which I thoroughly enjoyed.

OH MY GOD, I can't wait until that comes out here, like, honestly, I've read like, all the books and they're fantastic! Have you read them? I've never laughed out loud so much until I started reading the whole Georgia Nicholson series, and I'm not even much of a reader, but I can usually finish those in a day or two.

Speaking of girly movies, can't wait until Shopaholic comes out here, either! <3

The Pursuit of Happiness

I went on a little.. Spending spree today and I found some movies at HMV, and one of my purchases was a 2 for $30 thing, so I picked this up, and Schindler's List up, because I have heard both were good (saw bits and peices of Schindler, but that's it). I really enjoyed this movie, like, it wasn't the most fantastic thing ever but it was pretty touching and it really showed you how even when things are really ****ty, you can pick yourself back up again. Not to mention that the little kid was absolutely adorable!

I just liked it because it as realistic, and I guess it kinda just played on true human emotions instead of fantastic effects and over the top storylines.

7.9/10

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Umm.. I actually thought this was a horror movie, so when the movie actually started I was pretty baffled. Even though it was one of those stories to get you thinking about how we're ruining the Earth, it did a good job at getting the message across, unlike the Happening. It was a VERY over the top movie, but the characters were decent and I came out of the theatre feeling pretty happy with what I just watched.

7/10

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I've been watching far more movies then I ever do recently...

Today I saw Surviving Christmas, which was ok, I suppose. It had a nice ending, although for the most part, the movie was just strange and not particularly believable . An ok movie, but not one I'd be lining up to watch again, I guess. 6/10

I also saw Elf the other day, which was actually really good. It was a lot funnier then I expected... turned out to be one of the best movies I've seen recently. It's pretty much just a Christmas thing, but I'd watch it again, I think. 8/10

Snoo

The Legend
WarGames

Older movie which features Matthew Broderick.. nice story but kinda lax in the acting.. but I'm not really worrying about it. Nice movie overall.

8/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Few reviews.

Inkheart:
Was quite good actually. Although it's quite complicated for younger viewers and I kept hearing kids ask their parents what was going on as they didn't understand it.
The film seems to have come out at exactly the same time as Bedtime Stories which follows more or less the same idea of things coming out of books/stories.
It's enjoyable to watch. Although Brendan Fraiser still can't act. :p
8/10

Toy Story 2:
Was on when I got back home. Haven't seen it for years. And it's amazing to see how good it still looks visually. Even years after it's release the animation is still top and looks amazing. the jokes are still funny and the story is really enjoyable.
Stunning film and if you haven't seen Toy Story then you haven't lived.
9.9/10

Shrek the Halls:
Although not a feature length film I may as well review this as well. I think Shrek has had his time of fame (thought so after the second film). It was good and I laughed a few times. But overall It relies on people to already like it to enjoy it.
6/10

Since I got new movies for Christmas and such, I watched a few of them and here are my reviews!

Schindler's List- 9.5/10

Amazing Movie, and definitely one of my new favourites. Considering I've always been interested in the war, especially the holocaust, this movie really appealed to me, and to see what Schindler did really showed what a great person he was. The storyline was fantastic, and the acting was really good as well; it just shows that a movie doesn't need so much special effects to be great. Also, some of the scenes were chilling, like the shower scene and the scene where they were burning all the bodies in the pits, because all that stuff actually happened (well, the whole movie pretty much happened, but those scenes stuck out as being particularly horrifying). It's a long movie, but certainly worth a watch, and I regret not watching it sooner.

Blazing Saddles- 7/10

An oldd classic comedy with one of my favourite actors, Gene Wilder. Umm, the actual movie was really goofy and I was surprised at how much the word n*gger was said, but there were so many funny parts, so the movie served its purpose as a comedy. Not terribly long either, which made it extra good. The end was a bit weird with the movie sets and that, so that sort of confused me, but overall, a funny movie!

Edward Scissorhands- 9/10

Another movie on my new favourites list! I didn't even know what to really even expect from this movie, like, I didn't know what genre it fell under and such, so I was surprised to see a bright neighbourhood with overly giddy people, as I thought it would be a dark movie, more like Sweeney Todd. I really loved Johnny Depp's character, as he played him well and he was really sweet. At the end of course I felt bad for him and though it wasn't the happiest ending (I didn't like how he killed the boy and I was sad he never saw Kim again), I thought it rounded off the movie quite nicely, with no remaining questions or anything.