What's new

NoLimits 2!

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
After several years of posting on different threads about how I hoped NL 2.0 would have this or that, I’ve tried to remember everything I mentioned at one time or another and make a list. Can somebody who already has 2.0 say if it has these or not? You can copy/quote the list with “yes/no” answers or whatever.

Box-section “roar” on B & M coasters

Ability for splashdown at end of ride, also common to B & M

I know it has the B & M vertical dive coaster; what about the “wing” coaster, like Wild Eagle, Gatekeeper, etc.?

I’ve seen screenshots with lift lights. Can you also have tracer/chaser lights most commonly seen on woodies, like this?
40970082_9af5566c04_z.jpg

I’ve also seen screenshots of coasters with other rides, buildings, walkways, signs, etc. Does that come with 2.0 (park editor or something) or do you still have to make 3DS objects?

Most comps state “no tools,” which I assume means you can’t use anything that didn’t come with NL when you bought it. Does 2.0 have any types of smoothers, de-pumpers, auto-heartliners, etc., that would have come from a separate software in the past?

Past versions of NL have indistinct chatter in the station, but I’ve often hoped in the future you’d hear riders’ screams on the coaster itself, or other words they often might be yelling! Any of that with 2.0?

Any better way to have underground tunnels now, other than having the coaster “crash” through the ground? That would be nice for those wanting to make something along the lines of Disney’s mountain style coasters.

Speaking of which, does 2.0 have cars similar to either Disney’s Matterhorn cars , their original Space Mountain cars, or even something like the Arrow “Whizzer” cars? Any of them would be great!

For dueling /racing coasters, do you still have to make a moebious layout, or can a track file have more than one ride?

If “yes” to above, can you have more than one type of coaster in a file? (Maybe I’m going too much in the direction of RCT3!)

The last time I tried to make a snowy mountain terrain, it looked like grey sludge instead! Is it any better now? Maybe that was a Terraformer issue.

Speaking of the Terraformer, is that included in the NL software with 2.0, or is it still something you have to use separately? If it is, I wonder if there’s a newer version of that now as well.

Thanks to anybody who can shed light on these questions! I hope I can get 2.0 myself soon. I understand there’s a standard version for around $45 and an even more advanced one for around $99, but so far I’ve only seen the download link to the $45 one on the site.

Hope everybody’s New Year is going well so far!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Ability for splashdown at end of ride, also common to B & M

Yes.

I know it has the B & M vertical dive coaster; what about the “wing” coaster, like Wild Eagle, Gatekeeper, etc.?

Dive Coaster, yes, Wing Rider no. Though that will be included in a future update. You can however clone the 4D coaster layout, make it invisible and place a B&M track over the top and run the 4D trains backwards to create wing rider.

I’ve seen screenshots with lift lights. Can you also have tracer/chaser lights most commonly seen on woodies, like this?

With scripting, yes.

I’ve also seen screenshots of coasters with other rides, buildings, walkways, signs, etc. Does that come with 2.0 (park editor or something) or do you still have to make 3DS objects?

Still have to make 3Ds, yes. You can also animate these with scripting.

Most comps state “no tools,” which I assume means you can’t use anything that didn’t come with NL when you bought it. Does 2.0 have any types of smoothers, de-pumpers, auto-heartliners, etc., that would have come from a separate software in the past?

The new editor makes handbuilding VERY powerful but it still has built in smoothing tools.

Past versions of NL have indistinct chatter in the station, but I’ve often hoped in the future you’d hear riders’ screams on the coaster itself, or other words they often might be yelling! Any of that with 2.0?

You still have the chatter. A lot of the technical sounds have been updated, but a lot of recycled from NL1.

Any better way to have underground tunnels now, other than having the coaster “crash” through the ground? That would be nice for those wanting to make something along the lines of Disney’s mountain style coasters.

The new tunnel system is much better and you don't crash into the ground.

For dueling /racing coasters, do you still have to make a moebious layout, or can a track file have more than one ride?

You can have as many tracks in one park file as your Computer can handle.

The last time I tried to make a snowy mountain terrain, it looked like grey sludge instead! Is it any better now? Maybe that was a Terraformer issue.

The terraformer is much more advanced. It is included within the editor and simulator. (which is now together in one program).

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
Thanks, Uncle Arly! Sounds like I got most of my "wish list!" I take it still no box-section roar. Come to think of it, B & M have been trying to get rid of that themselves, filling the box sections with sand pretty much on everything they've done since 2000 so there's no noise, or at least not as much. SFOG's Georgia Scorcher, along with whatever other ones they did in 1999, was probably the last to have the full intensity of the sound!

Intricks

Strata Poster
They also have an option on where to put the heartline on your coaster:

The Tracks Spine
Riders Natural Heartline
3rd option I cant recall

This makes the track flow VASTLY different between the two.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Here's my comments and tips from what I've noticed so far:

- The sound engine has improved, along with everything else. While rides still sound the same for the most part, there are a lot more noises than just the roar of the coaster train.

- The track shape, track type, and banking are all separated. This aspect allows you to have much more control over your track than before.

- Depump vertices command: Necessary for all rides. It gives you a butter smooth, life like feel to your track.

- No lateral G's command: While I've noticed that it is a little bit finicky on some more complex maneuvers, the tool is very useful for efficiently banking your ride.

- Duel/double loading stations: not only can you now do duel loading stations, but double loading stations as well (like Maverick). It's best to just mess around with the fork and merge tracks until you figure it out. The hardest part is getting the track straight. Transfer tracks also take some finicking as well.

- Formulas: I have not written my own formulas and I probably won't for a while, as they're complicated, but I've checked out some of the formulas that come with the sim and they're quite nice. They're essentially the insert element function from the last software, except these are a lot more customizable. For example, the loop formula allows you to input the 'radius', entrance/exit spacing, and a few other variables to give you a more or less custom shape.

- Scripts: I haven't screwed around with scripts yet but if you haven't seen it yet, I encourage you to check out Script Park. Scripts will allow users to do cool things with rides, like make them launch backwards out of a switch track.

- Supports are much more complex, but that does not necessarily mean that your supports will take you longer to complete. The Define Support command allows you to copy and paste entire support structures for reuse on another part of a ride. Also, beam nodes allow for beams to be perfectly centered on each other and flanging is an absolute cinch.

- Prefab supports are no longer a copout. If you are going to create a coaster using a model that has available prefabs, it's actually more advantageous to use them. Their real strength comes from the Atomize Prefab command. This command allows you to place prefab supports, and essentially turn them into custom supports. The command gives the prefab supports nodes and beams for quick, easy customization and modification.

- Having terrain integrated is a very nice feature. It isn't too much different than the old one, except you can paint multiple textures onto a scenario, including pavement. They now have 3D trees available which look fantastic once the ride is rendered. They also have more regular foliage and grass, which adds a very realistic touch to your rides.

If I think of anything else or mess around with any other features, I'll be sure to post. I recommend checking out my first coaster made with the sim in my development topic. It's pretty much an experiment with most of the new features of the sim.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I'm completely new to No Limits and I am struggling with NoLimits 2.

I can build a section for the station. I can build a lift-hill section and even a straight drop.
If I try anything interesting (like curved banked drops) or something after the drop I start wrestingly with camera controls or warp things.

I'm annoyed that I am not even at a state to start a thread with hilariously awful coasters, because I haven't even got a coaster to share :p

I'm constantly practising it, so I will get used to it eventually.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: NoLimits 2!

Over the weekend I am going to make some "how to" guides to try and help those struggling. I'm going to start with transfer track, splitting track, duel stations first as they took me the longest to figure out. If anyone has a request, let me know. I won't be doing anything with scripting until I figure that out, which may be in next few days.

scw55

Hyper Poster
(funny. Page 4 makes my college internet think it's tasteless).

I've completed my first NoLimits (2) coaster. After about 5 attempts at making one.
It has awful issues. I need to change the coaster type (Wooden isn't working for the layout) and stop the lifthill from having an amount of banking to it. Once I've done these I'll ponder if I actually get enjoyment from the programme and if the abomination is even worth sharing.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Use a CRAP ton of Roll vertices. Place one directly after any lift or brake and make sure you select Strict for it. Should keep it nice and even.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Roll nodes only need to be placed where necessary to prevent the track from banking.

Antinos, you forgot to mention the track connector and support styles. Now you have full control over how big your support it by using custom sizes. There are pre-set sizes as well, but the customization sizes extend to cables and looping box spines as well, giving you basically 100% control over how the track looks when supported. Custom structures like that on Leviathan are now entirely possible without the requirement for .3ds.

The Atomize Prefab feature is amazing. It literally took me an hour to fully support a full size B&M Hyper, whereas before it would have taken several hours straight, possibly even a few days. Other features like beam nodes, a selection of footer types, as well as flange nodes all add in great realism and are relatively easy to implement. A lot has been thought out.

Updating is also simple and easy. All you have to do is turn on Auto Update and have an internet connection, and it will automatically update whenever one is available.

Treeis

Mega Poster
I just found a cool trick I can do on Nolimits2, so I thought I would share. You guys may already know this but it cant hurt to share...

Something thats always bugged me is when I am halfway through making a coaster and I want to ride it just to test the waters and see how it feels, the program wont let me. Obviously the track is not a complete circuit yada yada. I could make the coaster a shuttle until Im done but there are some small complications with that as well.

With Nolimits2, you can get circuit coasters to operate even when the circuit is complete, but its still annoying because you need to always have a block at the end of the track otherwise the train stops on the lift hill.

...unless!

The deceleration on the lift hill is 0. Then you can test the ride as many times as you like on full circuit mode! Just remember to change it back again before you're done.

ashtonrick

Roller Poster
Nice trick Treeis - in both NL1 & NL2 the other way to test them is simply click the complete button to link both ends of the track and make that last (wonky) section of track a brake. You can then ride the coaster up to that point to test it out :)

BBH

Giga Poster
^I usually add a type separator at the very end of the track rather than completing the track entirely.

Posted while reading your mind.

bmac

Giga Poster
Having too much fun farting around with the new features to actually try and build something serious.