What's new

New ride for London Dungeons

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I went in just the other week (Extremis was closed) and there's clearly work going on inside. The whole Jack the Ripper scene with the prostitute explaining what's going on has changed (smaller space) and the next room was still bare plasterboard.

Ollie

CF Legend
I doubt they'll have an actor in there while the ride is in motion as that'll be dangerous. Maybe as the ride attendant like they usually do. The ride type includes animatronics anyway in the ride cycle so why would they need to add actors on top?

And I wouldn't say the Dungeons is aimed at children. There's quite a lot of adult material in there and if you're in a group of adults then they make it much better in scenes like the courtroom and Bedlam Asylum (which is mental when they go all out).
Some of the scenes can be pretty scary as well such as the scene in the bar.

And at the York Dungeons even I jumped a few times and I NEVER jump or get scared usually. :p
One fully grown man kept jumping at everything as well and got proper scared. What do you expect from a northerner though? Bunch of pussies. ;)

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
I doubt they'll have an actor in there while the ride is in motion as that'll be dangerous.

You'd know this because? I mean, they have actors in Templo Del Fuego in PA, and that has fire and lots of moving objects, so why not this where only a single fixed axis moves left and right?

I was told that this is what the whole 5th D part of 5D is.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Exactly, and thousands of voltes are passed through those tracks. Same system as Todies at Chessington. You step on the track, you're in for a nast surprise. This 5D thing is much safer.

Lofty

CF Legend
They're allowed to put actors near rides/ride tracks as long as they have a barrier. By barrier I literally mean, it could be a piece of cotton, something as small as a rope. They can get away with it.

The initial idea for "The House" involved actors too. I hope it does include actors, I know it's a 3D movie and all, but 'Real' actors would bring it down from being less fantastical slightly.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Also, would the power rail not be covered in some way. They'd have the contact strips in a kind of C-shaped groove, that way only the fin from the carriage can touch the live contacts. That would make the whole ride area much safer, not only for the actors, but also for the guests if an evacuation was needed.

I don't actually know, but it wouldn't seem like a difficult system to impliment and would really impove safety if needed.

Ollie

CF Legend
Like Mark said, in the UK you need a barrier between the actor and the ride. They have that on Duel Live and they don't walk around near the track.

And Erol Templo Del Fuego has a specially trained team and the effects are controlled by a tech team at the back of the room so none of the effects go off when there is a danger of the actor being caught by it. Plus health and safety in Europe is non-existent compared to here which is why we need barriers etc.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
Also, would the power rail not be covered in some way. They'd have the contact strips in a kind of C-shaped groove, that way only the fin from the carriage can touch the live contacts.

Nope, its as live as a train track. It uses contact brushes.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Screaming Coasters said:
Hixee said:
Also, would the power rail not be covered in some way. They'd have the contact strips in a kind of C-shaped groove, that way only the fin from the carriage can touch the live contacts.

Nope, its as live as a train track. It uses contact brushes.
I think that 'would' should've been a 'could'. It really wouldn't be diffiicult to make the power transfer much safer.

Not that I think it needs doing by the way, I think they're just fine as they are. If you're stupid enough to touch them, then well... hopefully the zap will do you some good...

Lofty

CF Legend
Wait, is this power talk about Duel or the new Dungeons ride? Just that if it's about the Dungeons ride, it's going to be EXTREMELY hard to get anywhere near the electric on this thing, it's a central mounted spinning ride, the worst that could happen is you'd get a limb crushed. :lol: - Not that it's funny..

Ollie

CF Legend
Some construction pics.

230102_219142928097365_127967697214889_968052_7405913_n.jpg

230254_219143094764015_127967697214889_968057_66967_n.jpg

229563_219143011430690_127967697214889_968055_723089_n.jpg

225442_219142951430696_127967697214889_968053_6459074_n.jpg

229299_219143064764018_127967697214889_968056_2624482_n.jpg

224163_219142884764036_127967697214889_968051_7501768_n.jpg

206418_215036961841295_127967697214889_928704_1127619_n.jpg

228299_219142974764027_127967697214889_968054_1862374_n.jpg

dominoes

Mega Poster
I doubt it will have actors. Think how bored the staff would get having to do exactly the same routine for hours on end, without a chance of a break. If they did let them have a break, they would have to close the ride for a bit so the other actors can get ready...

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Well, I don't think it will have actors... But not for that reason!

What about all the actors in the dungeons themselves? They seem to manage ok doing the same thing all day. Also, what about rides such as Jaws, Temple de Fugo, the Great Movie Ride or any other ride with scripted actors...

Lofty

CF Legend
dominoes said:
I doubt it will have actors. Think how bored the staff would get having to do exactly the same routine for hours on end, without a chance of a break. If they did let them have a break, they would have to close the ride for a bit so the other actors can get ready...

I'm sorry to say this, but, that is actually the most RIDICULOUS statement I have ever heard. I don't know if you know anything about the Scare Industry business OR about any attractions for that matter, but, they couldn't give two flying **** about whether or not the actors get bored in their scenes. They only matter if the money is rolling in and that they have a good quality show on their hands. If actors start to get bored & their performance starts to dim, they'll simply give them an incentive the next day or what not, by changing their character to they're playing something new, that's one main reason The Dungeons (all of them, not aiming this at JUST London) rotate their cast.

If there was any reason for them not having talent in this section of The Dungeons, will be something to do with one of the following reason;

A) Not being financially viable.

B) Not actually benefiting the actual show itself.

OR

C) It being dangerous/health hazard.

I don't feel like going through five pages, but did they remove the boat ride or any other part of the attraction for this? I'd like to try it because I liked the Dungeons and would be happy to go back to them, but I can't see myself like rushing into London to get the chance to do it again, although I will be there all summer so it's a possibility.