What's new

New Mack Prototype

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Looking at the footage, do we think the spins were programmed, or just more “dampened” by the reduction gears to not spin as freely as the earlier blue fire spinning test?

Satanspropaganda

Mega Poster
They say in the description that it's restricted by magnets to control speed, but nothing about it being actually controlled. Just that it's different for every group of riders

So I think its free spinning with speed controls to make it less intense/sickening

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Isn't that exactly the same as the Xtreme Spinners, then?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It is exactly the same. Just this option can retrofitted or included in future sit down train Mack coasters to make hybrid trains as it fits within the same clearance envelope.
Ah okay, that makes a little more sense.

I will admit that I had just assumed the Xtreme Spinner trains could also be retrofitted as they sort of already did that with a bluefire train. I suppose I didn't really consider there could be clearance envelope issues.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Oh wow, is it just me or was this a pretty terrible display of the new prototype carriage. The spinning, as already mentioned, looks very tame in comparison to the earlier test on Blue Fire with the Time Traveller train. With such little movement from the carriage it really does make it seem like a pretty pointless addition. This footage just makes it look awkward and kinda juddery (in the sense that it rotates a little, stops, rotates a little more, stops). I hope this is just either bad footage or a mere issue with the prototype, because in it's current state I wouldn't want to see it added to any Mack multi-launch (especially on the back row).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It looks terrible. Aren’t most Mack Launch coasters blue fire clones anyway? And with the exception of BPB and Liserberg’s unique location issues, would it really be that hard to adapt the envelope for other existing launch coasters?

How sure are we that the sole reason for this prototype is to get around envelope issues for conversion projects? Because it seems like a really poor solution to an unnecessary problem. Seriously which park would go for a conversion like this? Reducing capacity, at the same time is requiring a second (probably longer) queue. And if it’s for new builds, just increase the envelope and use extreme spinners cars, surely. ?

I think we’re (or I’m) missing something here.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It looks terrible. Aren’t most Mack Launch coasters blue fire clones anyway? And with the exception of BPB and Liserberg’s unique location issues, would it really be that hard to adapt the envelope for other existing launch coasters?

How sure are we that the sole reason for this prototype is to get around envelope issues for conversion projects? Because it seems like a really poor solution to an unnecessary problem. Seriously which park would go for a conversion like this? Reducing capacity, at the same time is requiring a second (probably longer) queue. And if it’s for new builds, just increase the envelope and use extreme spinners cars, surely. ?

I think we’re (or I’m) missing something here.
Exactly. :p

My guess (with absolutely no evidence at all) is that this could be Mack looking at something like Guardians. Something like this would allow really nice set-pieces followed by decently intense coaster sections.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The gondola is equipped with a motor to align the seats in the station and for dark ride scenes. Otherwise it is free spinning but with the rotations limited just like the Xtreme Spinners. Rather than Guardians which is pre-programmed and controlled the entire time.
In the comments of the video Mack did reply to a question explaining Xtreme Spinners have a different profile and track gauge - therefore to fit a spinning row onto a normal sit down Mack train (Launch, Mega or Hyper Coasters) this is the only option.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I think if any part of the plan is to offer a retrofit to existing Mack launch coasters then they should just stick to the standard backwards seats à la DC Rivals. The best part of the video was the guy losing his mind on the backwards launch.

Using this like their inverted powered coaster for a dark ride/thrill ride combo does sound like an interesting option for future projects though.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The gondola is equipped with a motor to align the seats in the station and for dark ride scenes. Otherwise it is free spinning but with the rotations limited just like the Xtreme Spinners. Rather than Guardians which is pre-programmed and controlled the entire time.
In the comments of the video Mack did reply to a question explaining Xtreme Spinners have a different profile and track gauge - therefore to fit a spinning row onto a normal sit down Mack train (Launch, Mega or Hyper Coasters) this is the only option.
You see now that makes more sense, and opens up a world of possibilities like dark ride / thrill coaster crossovers... And the possibility to work more with big players like Disney and Universal on those crossovers

I still think they could have done better, the lower capacity isn’t attractive to the bigger parks that could afford this kind of technology... Although, dark scenes could mean more blocks.

Your post also muddies the water even more, so it’s fitted with a motor, for dark ride scenes... So that implies ‘new build’ rather than conversions, despite Mack’s reply. So why not base it on the extreme spinner with 4 seats per car?

If they think parks are going to convert and include dark scenes, surely that means converting the whole train... Halving capacity.

tl;dr If it’s for new build hybrid dark ride / thrill coasters, great concept, but with potential capacity issues, due to designing it on the launch coaster platform, which seems unnecessary to me. If it’s for conversions... it’s pants, and just... Why?

IntaminFan20

Roller Poster
WHY?
They literally have the Xtreme Spinning Coaster for this, so why cant they just take the back car of previous trains and replace with the Xtreme Spinner car, but i think the only reason they have made this is to appeal to parks that want to retrofit their current trains on already built rides. This is also a cheaper way for a park to invest in spinning coaster because they already might have a MACK coaster that they want to bring new life into. I would like to see this on Alpina Blitz at Nigloland, Blue Fire at Europa Park, Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and also DC Rivals Hypercoaster at Warner Bros. Movie World. This design could also potentially work on Helix at Liseberg, this could already be confirmed because MACK used a green colour scheme on this prototype.
So all in all, this could end up as a good small investment to parks as they can market this new design as a new ride and it would bring some more personality to the existing and maybe future coasters.

pajama sam

Roller Poster
WHY?
They literally have the Xtreme Spinning Coaster for this, so why cant they just take the back car of previous trains and replace with the Xtreme Spinner car, but i think the only reason they have made this is to appeal to parks that want to retrofit their current trains on already built rides. This is also a cheaper way for a park to invest in spinning coaster because they already might have a MACK coaster that they want to bring new life into. I would like to see this on Alpina Blitz at Nigloland, Blue Fire at Europa Park, Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and also DC Rivals Hypercoaster at Warner Bros. Movie World. This design could also potentially work on Helix at Liseberg, this could already be confirmed because MACK used a green colour scheme on this prototype.
So all in all, this could end up as a good small investment to parks as they can market this new design as a new ride and it would bring some more personality to the existing and maybe future coasters.
uhm you do realize that the padding in the seat is tan and the green on the lap bar is a much darker green when compared to helix's lap bar. i don't believe that any current mack launch coasters have that seat colour scheme AND it literaly says in the description of the YT video that the train is going on the new mack at dreamworld.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
WHY?
They can't bolt an extreme car on the back of existing as it is wider so would need to be clearance checked again I believe

UP87

Mega Poster
They can't bolt an extreme car on the back of existing as it is wider so would need to be clearance checked again I believe
Yes, I think they mentioned somewhere that the extreme spinner has a different track gauge, as well. Nevertheless before the extreme spinning coaster existed they actually tried the idea with a prototype cars strapped to the back of Blue Fire.
But this was not open to the public and I think they might have special regulations in place for that as you see all riders with a firm grip on the restraints.