What's new

Nerves?

coasterholic14

Roller Poster
I used to get very nervous before big rides, but having been on so many different rides, I only get nervous for 2 types of rides, and that's on ride nerves, not queue nerves: inverting ships and drop tower. For inverting ships, I really HATE being suspended upside down like they do, but I have no problems going on them if I'm with a friend who wants to go because those nerves do provide some excitement. For drop towers, it's just the anticipation of "when are we going to drop? now? no....now? no....nooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW"

Brookes

Giga Poster
Obviously before I got into coasters I was nervous on quite a few rides, but it was mostly excitement which was weird as I thought I would be really nervous. Now I still get it a little bit but only on really high coasters and drop towers.

Snoo

The Legend
No more nerves for coasters, as I'm just excited to be on something new and exciting.

Certain thrill rides might get me a smidge nervous though.. like the rides on top of the Stratosphere.. drop towers.. ect ect.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I mostly just get excited more than nervous. Though the first time on Apocalypse; waiting at the top, stood up (which was a first) I was a little nervous, but I really enjoyed it. Same happened with saw (first more than vertical) again only as I was waiting at the bottom of the main hill.

I suppose Oblivion bothered me first time too, but only when dangling, but I was about 12/13.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I'm not scared of heights generally but really tall coasters make me a little nervous... I won't deny the climb to the top of PMBO feels like an eternity for me, but the drop is so fun... I just hate that part at the top where you're casually cresting the lift hill.

Accelerators definitely, compared to the launched Vekomas and Gerstlauers their acceleration is insane, and nervousness creeps in, I think Desert Race did this the best with me due to the very heavy bassy beats played before launching.

So the two togethor, I would absolutely **** myself if I was to go on TTD/KK (probably more so TTD due to lapbars).

Also Oblivion does it for me, again its just the heavy bassline soundtrack in the station along with the slow climb and the holding drop... perfect build up.

I remember Martyn saying to me in the Oblivion queue he wishes he still got hat sort of feeling... I guess thats why he disappeared off the "live" radar! If truth be told, I'd do the same, I wouldn't get the near enough the same enjoyment if I didn't fear things a little, its part of the 'rush'.

andrus

Giga Poster
Drop towers scare the **** out of me! Other than that really big coasters are a bit scary. But I don't get scared at small ones like Nemesis and Rita.. And I totally agree with everyone that the scary feeling helps to build up the excitement and enhance the experience!

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Saw:The Ride actually got me feeling a bit tense the first time, because of the atmosphere and whatnot, rather than the actual coaster track, after my first time it just kinda dissapeared. The psychological aspect actually works, it would seem. And when I went on Top Thrill Dragster the first time I was ****ting chickens. But other than that, I don't really get nervous. Tower of Terror at florida scares me too, when you're moving into the shaft, bloody hell, freaky stuff. Hurrakan Kondor didn't bother me much, which I found quite strange.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
The first time I went on Oblivion I was nervous but loved it and now it's no problem.

Last year however I went on the Air Diver at the end of Brighton Pier for the first time and that made me nervous but once I'd been on it, I enjoyed it :)

Apart from those, I haven't had any problems - in fact I'll go on more or less anything :)

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
I don't get nervous on coasters anymore. I guess because I was introduced at such a young age they just don;t scare me anymore.

I do get a bit anxious when it comes to tea cups though. Cause I'm normally forced on 'em with some ****ty line like, "you go on all the big rides, but you won't go on this?!". I just know i'm gonna feel like crap afterwards!

A

Anonymous

^ I know how you feel, it's the same with me and Ferris wheels, just because they are EVIL :twisted:

But one coaster I felt pretty nervous about going on was Tranan, it was the first time since I started to really "ride" coasters...
I had no idea on how the ride would preform, and I have to say it was a bit scary at first. :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Do you think,hell yeah,bring it on.Or do you think,where's the exit

I can get nervous on proper drop towers, like Apocalypse on the first go of the day etc, but there is no ride in exsistance (I think) where I would queue up, but then leave the queue for being too nervous.

Ejector Seats & Sky Coasters used to get me ****ting bricks when I was younger.

Mark

Strata Poster
Many moons ago before I realised that the "illness" I possess in the form of an obsession with rides/fairs/theme parks and everything was actually more common then I realised and there were other enthusiasts out there just like me I was extremely nervous every single time I tried out something new.

Seriously, from the age of about 9 to 12 I was obsessed with rides et al, but every single time I tried something new, like a new ride type I would find my nerves really bad. I would still ride but sometimes it got close to blousing! The changing moment was actually in the queue for Rameses Revenge at the age of 11. I was with family and it was an hour long queue. By the time I got to the ride I had worked myself up so much that I said I didn't want to go on. Thankfully my uncle forced me on and as predicted, I loved it and wanted to go again. I learned the valuable lesson there and then. No matter how bad the nerves get, it is a ride; I will probably enjoy it loads and want to do it again.

Now, 15 years on and I can safely say that the nerves don't even present themselves. Except for drop towers. They still unnerve me beyond belief BUT I will still do it at least once. Those who rode Hurakan Condor at PA the other year can certainly vouch for how nervy they get me. Yet I still do them.

The only thing I really can't seem to quell my nerves with regard to is things like bungee jumps/skad towers. i managed to do a sky coaster but don't think I would do the bigger ones in the US.

In Denmark last year I had spent about an hour trying to decide whether to do the SCAD tower but came to the conclusion that if I had gotten that worked up, to the point just the thought of it was making my stomach flip, it was likely I wouldnt actually make it up to the top of the tower and onto the jump platform without hurling everywhere or worse. I really had to consider was it really worth putting myself through that sheer hell to ride and decided I didn't want to make myself ill.

Do I ever regret it. No. I simply wasn't ready to ride it. Will I ever do one? I hope that one day I will have gotten over those more intense nerves and I can and if I do, the first person I want there is Jerry (ECG) to film it!!!! :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^I was really excited doing the SCAD Tower. The only time I got nervous was when I was being winched over the drop.
Although it's one of the most amazing things I've ever done in my live and it's pure adrenaline that you feel for hours after. I was shaking when I came off but was buzzing for the rest of the day. :)

Peter

Hyper Poster
Exactly the same as you Ollie. I was fine on the ground, going up the lift end even walking around the top of the SCAD tower - no nerves in me at all. As soon as I stepped up and the guy connected the winch thing, I got the "oh ****" moment as I realised I was soon about to fall from there. :p

That, and halfway down the drop, where the only thought in my head was "Shouldn't I have hit the net by now?" :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yeah it seemed like you were falling forever as you couldn't see the net. It's a REALLY weird sensation falling like that without a harness. It's really hard to explain and is just something everyone has to experience.
With coasters I don't get nervous anymore but with that it was something completely new to me and takes you right out of your comfort zone as you're used to being tightly strapped in an enclosed car.
So it takes you from that and puts you at the top of a massive tower, pushes you off and you hope you land in the net as you fall. :lol:

Jerry was mad for doing it three times though. :p

Mark

Strata Poster
indeed 3 times.... Can you actually overdose on Adrenaline?

Thinking about it, on the very same trip I was somewhat dubious and nervous about that Vertigo thing in Tivoli Gardens. I know it probably doesnt compare to the SCAD but I was a little nervous that it would make me sick. I had an empty stomach and wasnt feeling too grand.

As usual I flipping well loved it. AMAZING. I was buzzing off that for quite some time too.

Which does make me think that I can do a Scad, I just need some real help getting me up there and to that platform first... any offers?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Don't pick me, I'll just push you. Wimp. :p

Mountain Madman

Mega Poster
Never on a roller coaster, ever. My friends either call me fearless or stupid. :p

Drop towers, on the other hand, can make me scream like I've just gazed into the depths of Hell!

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Actually, thinking about it, I was bricking it a bit before one of those bungee ball rocket things!!!

I remember, the first theme park I can recall was Universal Orlando. And I was ****ting myself about the Stage Make-up show thing. That pre-show video really scared the **** outta me lol!

CMonster

Giga Poster
I think that the only ride I ever walked out of was JTA when I was about 6. It was night, there was an empty queue, and I got to the boat, looked down the track, and saw a pitch-black hole.

Needless to say, I booked it out of there. :lol:

Sheikra gave me quite a few butterflies when I first rode it at 8 or 9 (I think), especially driving into the park and thinking, "I'm going to be on that."

The only other ride I can think of is Voodoo/Possessed, front row. I was pretty nervous getting on that.