What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It still won't really help though. It may increase the mood, but you really want people to feel the paranoia of being stalked. It just doesn't accomplish it, not just because of a lack of front end story, but because of the rush. There's not enough time spent building tension.

Mark

Strata Poster
furie said:
It still won't really help though. It may increase the mood, but you really want people to feel the paranoia of being stalked. It just doesn't accomplish it, not just because of a lack of front end story, but because of the rush. There's not enough time spent building tension.

Indeed, its not extra special effects that they need. They need more conduits for storytelling and building the tension ahead of getting on the main ride.

Also, Marc makes a bloody good point about Alien Encounter. Essentially it was sitting in a room with a few effects designed to make you jump and scare you and my god did it. I was 15 and genuinely unnerved and scared, my mum was terrified to the point of tears. So what made it so effective? The story and preshows did all the work. Getting the audience into the exact state of mind required to do its thing. Anyone who was lucky enough to do it... Imagine putting the whole experience on fast forward and that is basically what Sub-Terra feels like.

Martyn B

CF Legend
And surely enclosing the preloading area, ala Hex, would help build some tension?

I ain't saying it will cure its problems, but would certainly be a step in the right direction?

Mark

Strata Poster
It might Martyn but that is IF it ever happens. Past experiences dictate that we shouldn't hold our breath.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
At best, I think maybe you'd be looking at TV's in the lift waiting area explaining things rather than the staff shouting at you. Too many staff there just to "increase story" that they'll ditch as too expensive as soon as ride popularity drops (next week :p ). The monitors could explain a bit of story and how to go into the lifts. Really not holding my breath though and just can't see it adding enough, the entire thing is so hard to believe in.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
In the event of AT adding some story explanation, I hope they get the bloke who narrates Hex.

I love the way he elongates vowels. Listen to the way he says "DIE" and "EARL", it's amazing and a ride highlight for me....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLVLENGrW50[/youtube]

I'm going to smoke more cigarettes so my voice sounds that rasp and classy.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I think it would depend on how they want to explain what's going on. If they wanted a narrator he'd be perfect. If they wanted some military briefing-type then they could use Oblivion man (and cause some strange continuity. Would X-Sector be Phalanx in the future?) or use announcer lady.
If they choose the wrong presentation then they could make the atmosphere worse. Being read a horror story might be out of place in a military base. Would fit for the Roller Coaster but not the Dark Ride.

Mark

Strata Poster
Well since Tom Baker did the original Nemesis story I think he should be in there somewhere :p

scw55

Hyper Poster
I think it's down to the twat who is getting into it the wrong way. If I was in the batch of guests I'd be ready to shank him as we ran out.

Ben

CF Legend
That doesn't look as bad as I was expecting.

If the ride itself did more I'd quite like it...

Lofty

CF Legend
scw55 said:
I think it's down to the twat who is getting into it the wrong way. If I was in the batch of guests I'd be ready to shank him as we ran out.
Innit Brav.

Anyway. To be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to riding it to make my mind fully up on what I think of it. Either way, it's still just a filler ride to do when you're bored.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I've been told that two things have been changed...

Firstly, new TVs in the batching room before the first lifts to do some form of extra briefing, about a minute long...

Secondly, the ride cycle has been extended, but no idea as to what it does...

marc

CF Legend
Must have changed it since Sunday then.

There were tvs in the queue line but they did not really explain much.

Problem is I dont want to re ride it to find out.