What's new

Music Recommendations

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
Johnny cash's version of hurt is growing on me.

I never actually realised that the same lyrics could mean so many different things.

Yeah I love that cover. Have you heard the original by Trent Reznor? (Nine Inch Nails)

I got a couple of CD's the other day

Muse - Showbiz
Panic @ The Disco - Pretty Odd
Kill Hannah - Until There Is Nothing Left Of Us (Buy it now. It is like a massage for the ears)
Avenged Sevenfold - A7X (I used to hate them but after hearing Gunslinger I checked out the new album and I really like them now)

robbeal

Hyper Poster
^Got Panic's new album a couple of weeks ago myself. I've not really got into it properly yet, but it sounds pretty cool, and more like the Beatles than ANYTHING i've ever heard since the Beatles!

kir

Hyper Poster
kendolloh1.jpg

And yes, his first single "Flawless" is as bad as you'd expect it to be. This is a recommendation if you want a laugh. Hahaha.

Jer

Strata Poster
Iwresltedabearonce - Iwrestledabearonce

possibly the best Grindcore band of this time. Hailing form louisiana the follow the simple song structure of brutal screamin, followed by soft melodys. What makes them stand out if the female vocailst who trumphs over all male grindcore vocalists. The music it self is okay at best, but how brutal this chick is relaly knocks it up a notch.

All Low and Behold, their smash hit, Tastes Like Kevin Bacon:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrFTR9fucr8[/youtube]

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
robbeal said:
^Got Panic's new album a couple of weeks ago myself. I've not really got into it properly yet, but it sounds pretty cool, and more like the Beatles than ANYTHING i've ever heard since the Beatles!

I know. I think they are trying to be the Beatles too. They use similar guitar tones. The lyrics are really trippy as well and the whole feel. I love it though. Northern Downpour and Do You Know What I'm Seeing? are the best songs in my opinion.

Bitter

Mega Poster
ciallkennett said:
I good quirky song is 'Frontier Psychiatrist' by The Avalanches. Funny music video aswell!

That is an absolutely amazing song.

It's purely psychosomatic!

Got the new Raconteurs album. Have only listened to it once, seems quite all over the place, but may get better after a few more listens. First impressions aren't great though, certainly not up to the excellent standard of their first album.

Loving Led Zepellin at the moment too. Used to hate them, so if you've yet to discover them, please please please do.

As for Panic being like the Beatles, presumably you mean in sound only, not quality.

A

Anonymous

Had an amazing session with a class mate and the French assistant yesterday.

It was somewhat emotional!

She recommended me this:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=XDDkmjj4HL4
[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
danielfitzgerald99 said:
Of course. Nobody can even touch The Beatles.

If you try though, it may cost an arm and a leg... Well, if you have them ;) :p

Personally, I think the Beatles are a little... I don't like the term over-rated... but certainly given more time than they deserve.

The were something fantastic at the time, and they deserve the credit they get for being so influential, but I doubt they'd be quite so big if they suddenly arrived on the scene today. I don't know, coming from near Liverpool skews things as it's always being shoved at you about how great they are...

I think maybe I'm just a realist. I love Led Zep and Pink Floyd, but don't think that everything they've done is superb, and I can understand why people don't think they're as great as I do :D

Bitter

Mega Poster
Not everything the Beatles did was great either, and anyone that tells you otherwise deserves a slap in the face. It's hard to say if they'd be as popular nowadays as they were back then because the world is just such a different place, and it depends how you mean. If you mean the same sound, with another band like the Beatles already having come before, i.e., just the The Beatles 2, then they probably wouldn't be no as it's not what's "in" right now, and it's been done before. If you mean another act as "revolutionary" as the Beatles, and with as much appeal as they had back then for todays market, maybe they would be, maybe they wouldn't be.

There's so much more music around nowadays, and it's so easy to get, back then it was something much more special, which is probably why people went nuts for it. I agree that maybe they are a little "overrated" in the way that there have been bands just as good, if not better, since they've been around who have been just as influential, but they just did so much in such a short space, and were just so huge that they will always sort of over shadow the bands that came afterwards.

Led Zep and Floyd for the win.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Yes The Beatles did produce a load of crap but that was all necessary because they were trying new things. They did such a broad range of things and all the songs are pre-programmed in your head at birth. That's common knowledge. I started playing guitar because of John Lennon and thats what got me into music.

Anyway I recommend Down. They are a band Phil Anselmo made when Pantera split.

vermilionguy

Roller Poster
Last two albums I illegally downloaded and have listened to quite a bit are Vampire Weekend and Kings of Leon Aha Shake. Vampire Weekend is kind of a poppy ska band from Columbia U and Kings of Leon have been around awhile but I've just caught wind with their newest single "On Call"

Bitter

Mega Poster
Actually, On Call was the first single of their latest album, the latest single was Charmer, out a little while ago itself. Kings are a great band, and have produced 3 top quality, and varied albums, not just the same album over again. If you haven't listened to them yet... do!

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Bitter said:
danielfitzgerald99 said:
I started playing guitar because of John Lennon and thats what got me into music.

Then where did it all go wrong? :roll:

If you mean where did I get into heavier stuff? I heard Linkin Park on the radio when I was 9 and gradually got sucked into Rock. Started hanging out with like minded people and went from their. Also started reading Kerrang and Metal Hammer.

Ollie

CF Legend
Dropkick Murphys - Johnny I hardly knew ya

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg_rf2d894k[/youtube]