What's new

Music Recommendations

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Not a recommendation per se, just expressing my love \m/,

My musical tastes have definitely been inspired by video games. The most obvious example was the epic Hell March from Red Alert, which is so badass and popular it actually made its way onto an episode Top Gear.

Somehow through my random browsings I’ve stumbled upon a bunch of old Sonic music that I had previously forgotten. As soon as I heard this track, I was like “OOoOoOooOoOo ****!” - I’d totally forgotten about it and somehow I’d never credited it as being an inspiration towards guitar based music…. But I have no doubt that it’s been a huge influence on me (considering this came out in 1998 before I bought my first guitar). For the cynical, I’ll give a warning for ‘heart on sleeve’ courage / inspirational lyrics, but I don’t care I absolutely love it. Man, the guitar riffing is soooo ****ing bad ass, reminds me of the band Extreme.

I also found the instrumental version, fully showing off the guitar which is tempting me to dust off my kit - again… I ****ing LOVE that riffing!!! 😍😍😍

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
Finally one of my all time favourite albums has been re-issued on vinyl. I've stopped collecting, but I just had to pick it up. I think People=S*** might be my favourite song period.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster

New album by Gospel is ez aoty, 17 years wait since debut and they smashed it. Who knew mixing post hardcore, prog and psychedelic rock could work so well 😍

Indy

Hyper Poster
Apparently, some psychopath at Portugal. The Man thought it was a good idea to cover "Steal My Sunshine" by Len and I absolutely love them for it. It's different enough to be unique, but not so far off that it's an abomination. I'm addicted.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Couple of artists I've really gotten into this summer... Who also happen to be polar opposites of each other 🤣

Fontaines DC

And Holly Humberstone

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's not exactly terribly new and the British members might roll their eyes, but I haven't been able to shake this song since it was released last summer. I still can't get enough of it, especially the live versions. I am a sucker for coming-of-age tales though. I wish Sam Fender would announce a North America tour.

That song is incredible, he is incredible, he absolutely smashed it live. I don't care how 'mainstream' he is... listen to the lyrics, that song is f***ing deep!

I will go an see him again first opportunity.

Watch until the end, had the crowd eating out of his hands, not the easiest crowd to please either, a lot of old schoolers who 'go to see proper bands, not pop acts'

Indy

Hyper Poster
That song is incredible, he is incredible, he absolutely smashed it live. I don't care how 'mainstream' he is... listen to the lyrics, that song is f***ing deep!

I am incredibly jealous! He's still fairly unknown in the US. I'm hoping for a proper North American tour before long. He's been playing a few festivals and small gigs over here lately and is supporting Florence + The Machine at a handful of stops, but nothing even remotely near me.

But yeah, his lyrics feel so raw and real, especially in "Seventeen Going Under."

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Been abit obsessed with this track, if you like abit of a 90s throw back pop tune

Also this new one from Tove Lo, I felt the popcorn remix should make it annoying but I'm addicted to it.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Time for a bit of a curve ball recommendation. For those that like something with a bit of depth or a story to chew on, I’m going to suggest…

zlswjNh.jpg

Yes, really. I used to think it was a ‘celebration / love letter’, but it’s actually that and a scathing criticism at the same time. Basic plot of the musical / concept album:

- young woman dates a musician, realises she wants to be a ‘something’.
- heads to the City, career gathers momentum as she’s very charismatic, sleeps her way up through society.
- starts dating a dodge as **** general who becomes president.
- becomes a ‘Diana-esque’ figure, loved by many but is actually doing very little.
- starts ego tripping out, possibly knowingly involved with money laundering and skimming money from charities.
- becomes very ill, retires from public life. Dies.
- the whole thing is narrated by a critical Argentine peasant.

It’s just so tragic / sad!! Was she brilliant or just an ego head that never really helped anyone? It’s left open to interpretation. She remains a divisive figure in Argentina to this day.

Obviously it’s rammed full of pop tracks that you’ll be humming forever, with Patti LuPone smashing out the vocals.

If you’ve ever liked The Wall by Pink Floyd then I’d say give it a go, with an open mind (it’s entirely musical theatre like ‘The Trial’ is) and a willingness to enjoy 🇦🇷🍷

^ needs to be that recording though, which is the best one (and on Apple Music at least).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Watch until the end, had the crowd eating out of his hands, not the easiest crowd to please either, a lot of old schoolers who 'go to see proper bands, not pop acts'

Managed to get glasto tickets again the Sunday before last... 🎉🎉🎉

Anyway, not why I'm here... Can't stop listening to this... So thought I'd drop it here, as I'm sure there's others who'll appreciate it... If you know, you know.

I know @Will especially loves this track :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Got talking to another goon about music earlier, and we got onto our mutual love for Fred Again... (@pvnks little bro actually)

Then I remembered I haven't posted in here for a little while... So here is one of my latest vibes... Fred Again

(Caution, dance music ahead, if you don't like dance, then just don't even bother... haha.)

Ries

Mega Poster
I listen to a very wide variety of music genres. But I 'recently' discovered a new band in the Genre Metal.
The band's name is psychonaut and in one of their songs, they let the singer/ drummer of my favorite Belgium band (Brutus) sing. And one from another brilliant Belgium band 'Amenra'. This makes it 8+ minutes pure gold.