What's new

Mouse's RCT3 Competition | GRAND FINAL (poll open)

Who has been the BEST competitor?

• Collosus The Power of 10

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Reddude333

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Colossus

Giga Poster
Re: Mouse's RCT3 Competition | GRAND FINAL

Thanks mate, hey, no worries, as long as its ok with Mouse, take as long as you need.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Re: Mouse's RCT3 Competition | GRAND FINAL

Challenge #1

Sinister Twister is a relatively compact, exhilarating, head-over-heels Möbius coaster designed to have the thrill of a racing coaster while incorporating various near-miss elements. Topping at a mere 50mph, this coaster is not only an intense thrill ride but a piece of coaster artwork. Featuring a head-to-head blitz element (similar to the High-Five but with involving the trains traveling toward each other), crossing camelback hills, and dueling inclined loops and zero-g rolls, Sinister Twister is sure to put the white in your knuckles.

Head-to-head blitz element
SinisterTwister2.png

The four trains twist beautifully in time with each other
SinisterTwister1.png

Sinister Twister POV
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2EpIB92O9k[/youtube]

Challenge #2

Calamity Cavern is a family Vekoma mine train coaster featuring the signature duel lift hills (59 ft.) and all the twists and turns characteristic of this model. Naturally the coaster would be accompanied by mine theming if implanted into a given park. Sure to be a winner for peeps of all ages.

Duel lift hill
CalamityCavern2.png

Sweeping first drop
CalamityCavern1.png

Array of helices and hills
CalamityCavern3.png

Calamity Cavern POV
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6KJ7QSKiY[/youtube]

Challenge #3

The Arabian Knights themed area features four buildings (including the grand palace), a bazaar marketplace, and pool complete with water effects display. The palace is has various levels, one of which contains the royal bath.

ArabianVilliage.png

Challenge #4

The rocky mountain landscape embodies all that the great outdoors offer.

The sun rises glimmering off the lake resting at the base of the rocky crags
RockyMountain2.png

Miners often search the mountainous terrain for gold and other precious metals but must be wary of the bears that inhabit the area.
RockyMountain1.png

Looking out over the land from the top of the rocky cliffs
RockyMountain3.png

After the sun sets the area is illuminated only by moonlight.
RockyMountain4.png

Challenge #5

Here is the park entrance from the surface
AtlantisEntrance1.png

Underwater the scene is much different
AtlantisEntrance2.png

View from the submarine pathway
AtlantisEntrance3.png

Schools of fish are free to swim about in the surrounding waters
AtlantisEntrance4.png

Sorry, I just couldn't get enough of these underwater shots
AtlantisEntrance5.png

P.S.- I figured I would add a bit of color to my coasters after seeing that Colossus did so but feel free to judge them as if they were default colors. Also, I was not sure exactly what your policy was on coaster support CS so I just left it out except on the lifts for Calamity Cavern.

P.P.S.- I will be more than willing to divulge the secret behind the rocks once the competition is completely over :p

mouse

Giga Poster
Voting is now open, please vote for the BEST competitor, don't forget to consider their past entries as well as this one.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Nice work there reddude, awesome as always.
Yeah id appreciate to learn you`re secret after the tournament lol

mouse

Giga Poster
Heres my reviews then...

Park Entrance

CP10 - I liked the whole adventure theme of your entrance, but it lacked 'oomph'. I think you should've added a lot more theming to it to make it seem more exciting. Im sure it would be different with guests, but the path seemed a bit bare, it could do with more path scenery. The walkway looked absolutely brilliant with the fences and trees, and the walls fit in well. Overall the main entry was not that grand, needs more theming, and a more distinctive entrance path. (Although the flags and fire looked great!) :)

Reddude - It was a great themed area, but didn't look much like a park entrance. The bit above the water was, well, a bit naff to be honest. It just looked like you plonked a few bits of scenery on each side, it could do with some more terrain textures and walls etc. The underwater scene looked great, a complete change to the topside bit. The bits of theming and buildings looked brilliant, and were put together with the terrain and path really well. :)

25 x 25 Themed Area

CP10 - You've taken a brilliant shot there, it really shows the spot in a great light :). The theming would look brilliant in real life, a good authentic western street. To be honest, its not so good on rct3. It's quite easy to do, you just need to place some bits of theming next to each other. It needs some proper buildings, terrain, and more complexity.

Reddude - Wow, just brilliant :). I love the buildings you have made, really realistic and effective. The patios and walkways look amazing and work well with the buildings. The bazaar looks a tad out of place, but please post some more pictures, its great!

Mountain Area

CP10 - Absolutely wonderful! The waterfull is a great centre point to a realistic and effective area. The trees along the top look really realistic, and works well with the cliff face, which has been textured brilliantly. My favourite part is the bottom of the waterfull, it looks great with the rocks and foliage :). The dinosaurs are just the icing on the cake, very well done!

Reddude - It looks great from the side view, although it seems a bit flat. The rocks look brilliant next to the water, and the terrain texturing is well done. The shots from above look a bit unrealistic. The rocks stick out awkwardly, and the mining and bear stuff looks out of place. The trees look quite nice, but it needed more of them. :)

Family Coaster

CP10 - Naughty, I said custom supports on the lift hill only :p. Never mind, the supports looked awful anyway. Great little coaster, some really fun drops and helices. Not much else to say, other than the pacing could be improved.

Reddude - I can imagine it would like nice around a mountain, but as it is the layout was a bit naff. Fun looking helices, although I didn't like the one after the first drop.

Thrill Coaster (Sorry, not much to say on this)

CP10 - Great coaster, with some good elements :). I thought it was going a bit to fast.

Reddude - Well put together, dueled really well. I loved the first drop and inclined loop, and the fact that its mobius, which is a tad harder to make. :)

Overall, my vote went to Reddude333, but well done to both of you. :)

Voting closes tomorrow (saturday 21st Jan)

mouse

Giga Poster
Voting is now closed.

And the winner is...

[super] :!: Reddude333 :!:[/super]

I will PM your prize ASAP. :--D
Comments and reviews on entries will still be appreciated. :)

Josh73

Giga Poster
Yay! Congrats reddude, and great effort by CP10, you guys were very well matched, and you both deserved to make it to this round!

reddude333

Giga Poster
Thank you for all who voted for my designs (in every round), thank you to Mouse for hosting this extensive and fun competition, and of course thank you to all of the other contestants that helped make this comp so much more exciting. Colossus, you did fantastic that last round and I honestly thought it was almost a toss-up. Both of us had distinctly unique ideas and that made it all the more tough to call (in my opinion).

If you don't mind, I would like to offer up a short review of your entry for this final round and some defense of things that Mouse pointed out.

Colossus: Large coaster - Your coaster was (as always with you) very aesthetically pleasing. Most of the elements seemed nice and fluid although some were a bit awkward such as the second dive loop sort of inversion; I am not sure why you chose not to have it go 90 degrees to set it up better for an overbank turn. True it may have conflicted with the entrance to the inversion but I think there was a way to work it out. Nice coaster overall though. Family coaster - Great family coaster in my mind. Really not much more to say besides that I think the supports made it look a bit like a traveling coaster. Idk why all the custom supports though. Rocky mountain area - I have never really liked the look of stretched steep inclines with the RCT3 terrain. The texture just looks all grainy. Anyway, would have been better if you found flat/close to flat land for the dinos to stand on. Really like the look of the waterfall and rocks and foliage too. I love how tall the waterfall is. Themed area - Looks great and good shot angle, only main con is that (as Mouse stated) Wild West theme is very cut and dry in RCT3. Park entrance - Looked nice and very realistic. Only thing that would have made it better is having people in it...which I didn't do either :p

Defense/Self-critique: The whole idea of my underwater Atlantis entrance was that I was trying to emphasize the epicness underwater (to explain the somewhat blandness above water) but I will admit it was not generic in any sense. The bazaar, yeah, it is a bit out there but I really wanted to have a marketplace sort of thing which would have been a lot better looking with a little CS but I did what I could with what I had. I like my mountain area...don't really think I have much to say in defense. It wasn't flat (as you claimed), rocks stick out at weird angles in real life, and the shots from the top seemed fine with me. Personally my favorite part of this round to create. My family coaster was not stellar mainly because it couldn't be themed but I thought it was pretty good as a Vekoma-based mine train design. As for my large coaster, I had a ton of different designs (that I made) that I was choosing from from giga to bobsled to hyper twister and I just picked the one that seemed most unique.

And as requested, I will provide a few more pictures of my Arabian Knights themed area. I took the liberties of making the surrounding area sandy for these extra pics.

A shot that better shows the building you couldn't see in my shot for the contest
ArabianVilliage2.png

From the balcony of the grand palace
ArabianVilliage3.png

Front-on shot of the entire themed area with the fountain show running
ArabianVilliage4.png

And if, for any strange reason, someone wants the park file I will upload it to a filesharing website and post a link on this thread.

And now to reveal the secret behind my blended/overlapping rocks. I am taking this from part of a PM I sent our good friend Josh73 after the tiebreaker for the semifinal round:

Alright, so first off I will just clarify that the rocks themselves are the 5 rocks that come in the Wild! expansion pack and are in the scenery section under the category of prehistoric. This is a trick I have been using recently for various projects. The process is actually fairly simple. What you do is you start by making a single station piece for any tracked ride type (you can also create an entire coaster but it's not necessary). Then you place the scenery around the station wherever you please. Next, save the scenery with the track file using the brown fence icon in the details tab of the coaster's menu. Then you just import that track file into your project and place the ride wherever you want the scenery to go. Finally, delete the single station piece and you will be left with the scenery from the ride with no collision issues. This means you can place scenery so that it overlaps with other scenery as well as rides and terrain for whatever means necessary. It is a very handy trick that can make no-CS comp entries looks 10x better than they would with traditional scenery placement. Note: This also works for other scenery item for example trees. I have found a few that don't work (I think roofing is one). This is also a great trick for when you have issues with walls that overlap and therefore won't allow you to place them or when you want to repeat a pattern over and over and don't want to place every single piece. Here are a couple examples of where I have used the technique:

The rocks making up the canyon
NewPark24.png

The scaffolding for the slides
NewPark34.png

Colossus

Giga Poster
I have 1 question quickly first, how did I automatically make the final? I was never notified of a playoff and that I was in the final? lol

Firstly allow me to congratulate our worthy winner reddude333. Your entries have been consistently good, not only throughout this competition, but in all competitions in which you have submitted an entry that I have seen. Your RCT skills are of a highest level, you should be proud of you`re victory mate. :)
Now I shall do similar to what reddude has done and give you a review of our winning entry and a"making of my entry" guide.
So Reddude`s set.
Main Coaster - I love the originality and thought process behind this, I don`t know if there is even such thing as a Mobius steel coaster? If not then well done on a worlds first, whether you men`t it or not? Ha. The only criticism of this coaster is lack of custom supports, as we we`re allowed to use this feature. I would really like to see this coaster completely dressed with supports, station and theming. I think it would look truly awesome.
Small Coaster - pretty much the same as the first coaster, the ride itself is good, nice turns and I really like the post at the top of the lift hill, small I know, but areal nice touch. Again supports would have been nice, I cant stand the general wooden supports on RCT and you have highlighted this by painting them red, but that`s more my pet hate on the game then your coaster and I appreciate that placing wooden supports is a huge ballache.
Rock Area - Knowing that you had your trick (Thank you for divulging that by the way) I was really expecting this to be absolutely mind blowing, I was expecting something like the picture you entered in the play-off minus the coaster. Thats not to say your entry was bad, it was infact very good, I like the peacefulness of it, especially the night shot. I think I just anticipated a bit to much. But that`s a good thing, right?
Themed area - Absolutely nothing to say here other then really fantastic work.
Entrance - Sorry but I didnt really buy into this, I gotta give you good credit for the idea and it was executed well, the underwater scenery was fab, but the whole thing lacked realness I thought.

My Set
Main Coaster - I really really wanted to get away from the B&M`s I had been making throughout the rest of the comp, but I just couldn't do it, I toyed with the idea of the Intamin Hyper coaster, But I did one last round. Also the Stormrunner, but the track just is not flexible enough to make anything other then a Stealth like coaster. So I went with this coaster and Idea I had for a while and made this, this took forever because once I had finished the supports I decided I did not like them, They were originally green. Yes that point you mentioned is a bit dodgy but, that`s just what happens sometimes.
Small Coaster - Firstly sorry for breaking the rules mouse, I completely misread the rules, I just matter anyway because the supports are c**p anyway, Yes I looks cheap and a bit like a travelling coaster, but its meant to be. The only thing I like about this is the layout, I hate everything else, it was rushed and the supports I used weren't the best.
Rock Area - I too hate the stretched terrain, but I know what I wanted to do with the idea so it was something I just had to bite the bullet on, my main point was the waterfall, I was planning to add a second one, but I think it worked out best with the one, the trees at the top were put there to add to realism and to hide the fact that this is a heavily themed hole in the ground with a naked top area.
Themed area - Yeah I quite simply took the easy route on this, It took me ages to decide what to do with this without CS and although I nearly went with a suburbia n theme, I weren't sure how that would pan out so I took the easy route as I was running out of time and had wasted loads of time changing the colours of my supports on the main coaster. I would of liked to have been able to post more then 1 picture of this area as its hard to get a 25x25 area in 1 shot, from some areas though my main coaster can bee seen towering over it lol so probably best it was just one.
Entrance - This was the first part I made, nothing too special it is quite grey I must admit, I did the best with what I had. Nobody noticed I entered a toilet in there with a water feature outside which I think was a nice touch lol.

Anyway thanks for the nice comments and pointers guys, thanks to mouse for a really well run, diverse competition, hope to see another one soon. Thank you also to addy, The Kingin64 and Josh73 for being great contestants and congratulations once again to our victor, reddude333.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Thank you Colossus. I definitely want to commend you on all your entries throughout the contest. It has been fun competing against you and you are probably one of the main reasons I have gotten into using more CS to make my projects look polished and realistic. A truly formidable adversary. Thank you as well for the evaluations. Good stuff!

As for how you made it into the final round...Mouse just liked your entry the most so he decided to make the tiebreaker just between me and Josh73

reddude333

Giga Poster
Sounds like it's time for another competition...perhaps I could host (if there isn't already one going right now)

Josh73

Giga Poster
Yeah reddude your great at giving reviews, you should give it a go.
And mouse, you are great at setting up restaurants. Thanks for setting this up.

By the way guys, you can just call me Josh.

EDIT: What the?! Restaurants?! I don't even know what I was thinking! :p So yeah, I meant competition.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Haha! I was definitely questioning your sanity there...either that or you realized a talent of Mouse that I didn't know about. Perhaps I will write up a thread for a comp soon. I need to make it through this week first.