What's new

Most famous rollercoaster?

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
caffeine_demon said:
Ian said:
The same principle could be applied here in the UK. I'd wager that non enthusiasts only really know about "the big red one at Blackpool" and possibly one Alton Towers coaster.

and I'd hazard a guess that a lot of people still think the corkscrew is there!!
They still think it's open even when they enter the park. When they see the two Corkscrews at the entrance I sometimes hear people say "where da queue, dat ting is sick blud"...ehh

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
In the u.k, I would have to say The Big One, but Saw:The Ride is extremely well known as well, mainly due to it's name, but pretty much everyone I know has heard of Saw:The Ride, they are just unsure of what park it's in.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
At least where I'm from I would have to go with something Disney. Either Space Mountain or the Rock n Roller Coaster. King da Ka is also well known here, but I also live only 3 hours from SFGAdv.

In terms of rides that people have seen on TV but don't know by name, I would probably say either Revolution at SFMM or Cyclone at Coney Island.

Brookes

Giga Poster
owenrita121 said:
In the u.k, I would have to say The Big One, but Saw:The Ride is extremely well known as well, mainly due to it's name, but pretty much everyone I know has heard of Saw:The Ride, they are just unsure of what park it's in.

Yes but as others have previously argued it's because of where you live. Hardly anyone I know will have heard of Saw: The Ride - only a couple of my friends who like coasters. It's definitely not extremely well known.

This whole topic reminds of the time I was trying to argue to a stubborn old classmate of mine that the picture on the wall was infact Nemesis not air...

As for the most famous roller coaster ever, I don't think anyone can really claim any of them with any real conviction. There'd have to be a pretty huge sample size covering a whole variety of demographics.

As far as the UK goes, I'd say one that hasn't been mentioned that much is Oblivion. I'd hazard a guess that it's more well known than Nemesis because of its vertical drop and it's one I certainly remember hearing about before I became an enthusiast.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
^^I live a lot closer to Alton Towers and Pleasure Beach than Thorpe Park, it's a name and age thing, teenagers like horror's, Saw, one of the most well known horror film's in the world. Teenagers like theme parks, so I ride baisd on a horror film is a perfect mix for people my age to know and remember it.

EthC

Mega Poster
I still need to loose my Nemesis virginity but I think that in my view is the most famous, it changed how the UK see rollercoasters and I thank it for that.

Smithy

Strata Poster
When Nemesis is featured on postcards, is used as one of the key landmarks of a national resort (Alton Towers Theme Park and Hotel and Waterpark and Restaurants and Other Things that make it almost a Resort doesn't count) and has as much mainstream exposure as PMBO, then maybe it can be seen as most famous.

CoasterGoddess

Roller Poster
Space Mountain - World's most famous coaster.
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom may not be the world's most thrilling park, but it's probably the World's most famous park. Space Mountain has been around forever and has a unique look like no other roller coaster in the world. It's still a fun ride for both adults and kids.

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
I would say Incredible Hulk, Kingda Ka, Millennium Force, Space Mountain, and Superman Ride of Steel (now Bizarro) which is the big one in New England. Millennium force is always on a Thrill ride show and the most popular at the world's most famous amusement park, incredible hulk is probably one of the biggest in Orlando, and Kingda Ka is always talked about just because of how high it is. Space mountain has just been around for so long all ages talk about it.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
CoburnJason54 said:
Incredible Hulk, Kingda Ka, Millennium Force, Space Mountain, and Superman Ride of Steel

Apart from perhaps Space Mountain, if I mentioned any of those coasters to my non-enthusiast friends, they'd have absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I've got friends in New York, ridiculously close to Great Adventure, who were shocked to find out that the world's tallest coaster is practically on their doorstep. Mention the Coney Island Cyclone though...

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
The Cyclone is an iconic coaster, the old tale is immigrants to America first saw the lights of the Cyclone before they saw the Statue of Liberty, and thats how they were welcomed.

I would say Cyclone and Space Mountain are probably 1A and 1B in terms of the general public, at least here in the states.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The issue with Space Mountain, is although a lot of people know of it as a ride at Disney, I suspect there are many who may not know of it as a roller coaster. I think there's a small demographic of people worldwide who think of Orlando as anything besides where Mickey Mouse lives, whereas Cyclone has spawned a hundred imitators around the globe, only enhancing the fame that ride already has.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
The most famous coaster here in the Netherlands is the Python in the Efteling, and after that probably Goliath.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
I think the most popular roller coaster is Space Mountain even if people don't know it is a coaster, it still is, and it is VERY famous, so yes rollermonkey, it's fine.