What's new

Most famous rollercoaster?

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I have to agree pretty much 100% with what Furie has been saying; the perceived "fame" of a coaster is going to be almost universally decided by the demographic of the people you come into contact with.

The idea that practically everyone knows the names of the Florida coasters is, for example, absolutely ludicrous. I can appreciate that if you and your friends have grown up with holidays in Florida and weekend trips to DLP that it might be hard to fathom that - while that may be an "average" upbringing for you - there are huge swathes of the country that simply don't have those same experiences.

A-Kid said:
Generally everybody is aware of Thorpe/Alton/Blackpool/Chessie

One or two, absolutely. All of them? Not likely. Actually I think there's very much a North/South divide with this. People in the south may have more of an awareness of Blackpool and Alton Towers, even if they've never been, since those parks have a lot of history, have had plenty of media attention over the years and are widely regarded, rightly or wrongly, as two of the best parks in the country. Go to Alton Towers and you'll hear plenty of southern accents and see coaches parked up from all over the country for example.

People up in the north, while at least being aware of Alton and Blackpool - regardless of visiting or not - will have little to no clue about Thorpe Park or Chessington, though. That might be hard to fathom if you're living anywhere south of Birmingham, but it's true.

For example, for the last 3 years I've used a Thorpe Park map to teach classes on advertising and persuasive techniques (it's not a navigational tool after all!), and in all that time only one - ONE - person has ever actually been, with only another 3 or 4 having ever heard about it.

Think about that for a second - that's a total of between 160-180 fifteen/sixteen year olds (Thorpe's target audience) and only about 5 of those people have even heard of it. Most of the kids are shocked and excited when they find out it's a real place (not just pulled from some text book) and that's it's in this country.

So yeah, just to reiterate really that personal experience and experience of those immediately around you does not necessarily equate most generally "famous".

To answer the question, in the UK the most famous, generally, has to be The Big One. Regardless of visiting Blackpool or not, there will be more general awareness of that coaster than any other in the UK. Proximity to the park will have less effect on the "fame" of the coaster than, say, something at Thorpe since Blackpool is, for better or worse, an iconic British holiday destination. The media coverage for The Big One was country-wide and was enormous. Younger people won't remember that, but their parents will. There are still people - and not just a small handful either - who think it's the tallest roller coaster in the world.

marc

CF Legend
I think if you showed the public a picture of Space Mountain they would know the name, that goes for any of the Space Mountains tbh.

If you showed them a picture of PMBO they might know where it is but I don't think half would actually know the name of it.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Sorry, but I disagree completely with Space Mountain. Unless they've been to a Disney Park, most people would not have a clue that it was even a roller coaster based on a picture of the building.

People might not know the "Pepsi Max" name, but you're absolutely right about recognising it as being in Blackpool - and a lot would know the "Big One" part of the name. To me, even knowing where it is makes it far more "famous" than the vast majority of coasters.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, I just asked madame_furie to name a coaster in America.

She said "Kingdom Khan or something like that. Or from Disney' they may have one of those ones in the dark I didn't like, or the railroad one"

She's been to dlrp three times...

Most people really just don't care enough to bother remembering names.

marc

CF Legend
If you were to say to people Space Mountain they would say Disney.

Say to people pmbo they would not know.

Shall try at work tomorrow :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
See, for the American public, there are a WIDE range of rides that I could consider famous. We have had a multitude of TV shows around Roller Coasters (Ride Wars or whatever that more recent show is called, Top 10 [insert something], Bert the Conquerer) on Travel Channel and to an extent Discovery (How its Made showcased Griffon and I believe they had a show that involved the accident on Demon where riders got stuck in the loop).

To just pick one from a list that I think is around 150 is kinda tough considering how much spotlight attractions have had...and those are all non Disney coasters too.

So, all of coasters that have been on Travel Channel could be considered Famous since a large amount of people have seen them either by flipping through the channels or just a general interest on the subject.

I must try to pick out one, so I will go with Nemesis, as it really stuck out to me as an interesting ride when I was younger. PMBO was also on the same show, but Nemesis has been on 3 of them (to my knowledge).

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Marc said:
If you were to say to people Space Mountain they would say Disney.

Say to people pmbo they would not know.

Shall try at work tomorrow

If you say "pmbo" then clearly nobody will know. Say "The Big One" and the response would be very different.

But, again, it's down to the people you know. The fact that you're talking about asking people at work means that you're asking people in a steady job, with a steady income who, regardless of coaster knowledge, are more likely than many others to have been to a Disney park. Plus, you seem to talk to these "people at work" an awful lot about parks, which means they're more likely to know something than your average bloke on the street.

If I asked the people at work - as in the other teachers - the same question, quite a few would know about Space Mountain. They're the sort of people with the time, money and parental give-a-s**t to take their families to Disney. If I asked the kids I work with, however, the number would be tiny.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah, Gavin and Furie are right.

In my survey, the majority of people who I KNEW had ridden Colossus couldn't identify it, or even if they could, called it "Corkscrew". People don't remember names, it's not important.

Marc, asking someone "What's Space Mountain?" is very different to asking "Name a roller coaster".

Anyone remember the Space Mountain advert ont he start of Disney VHS? I had no idea wtf that was for as a kid.

marc

CF Legend
I think it also depends where in the country you are.

If I say stealth everyone will know it lol.

I will ask some older people as well etc. will ask about 20 people various ages etc.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The Coney Island Cyclone.

No other roller coaster in the United States can touch the history of this classic wooden coaster, which still remains the crown jewel of Coney Island in New York City. This is in part why it was not only named a New York City landmark in 1988, but a National Historic Landmark in 1991. (as well as an ACE Coaster Classic)

The Santa Cruz Giant Dipper and Leap the Dips at Lakemont Park would also definitely be up there. The Giant Dipper would be best described as the Coney Island Cyclone of the west coast, a fellow ACE Coaster Classic and National Historic Landmark (And really the last "classic" coaster to be built on the west coast since the 1970s). Leap the Dips at Lakemont Park is the oldest operating coaster in the world, and is another National Historic Landmark.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
USA: Space Mountain, Kingda Ka, Cyclone, Incredible Hulk, Dragon Challenge

Canada: Leviathan, Behemoth, Goliath, Le Vampire, Vortex

UK: Saw The Ride, Big One, Colossos, Nemesis, Stealth

That's varied by each country most CFers live in.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^ Just because it's classic doesn't necessarily mean it's famous, though. While Cyclone is without a doubt one of the most famous American coasters, I'd be willing to bet that most people have never heard of Leap the Dips before, and that the Giant Dipper is mostly only well-known to people from California.

Cyclone has been well-publicized for 80+ years, has appeared in several films & many photographs, and has the advantage of being located in America's most famous city.

I'd hazard a guess that some of the rest of the US's most famous coasters would be TTD (I know more people that have heard of it than have heard of Kingda Ka, even), Millennium Force, Batman (kind of cheating since so many parks have one :p), the Incredible Hulk, and the Beast.

Mike

Giga Poster
For the US, I'm going to go for a bit of an odd choice and go with West Coaster at Santa Monica pier.

Not that anyone would know what it's called, but showing the beach shot with the pier and the coaster in the background would make it instantly recognisable as California to most Americans I reckon, with the coaster being an integral part of that recognition.

Any news to do with California/LA normally shows West Coaster, it has been in a ton of films, TV shows and books, and it is just such an iconic image.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Not sure if these have been mentioned, but haven't read it all the way through.

Coney Island Cyclone and Kennywood racers seem to be rather famous.

marc

CF Legend
I just remember as a kid, all I wanted to do was go to Disney so I'm sticking with their attractions :)

I can see where Mike is coming from, yet we went to LA and I totally forgot about that coaster, I did not even look it up, did not know it was close to LA.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Cyclone @ Coney Island

If there is a picture next to the term 'roller coaster' in a dictionary or encyclopedia, it's of Cyclone.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
After seeing this topic yesterday, I sent a text to my mum, dad and brother simply saying, "I'm doing a survey, can you name a rollercoaster?"

Dad - "Don't no its name but the 1 that goes down at alton towers" (Oblivion) Then 2mins later, "or that 1 we did in vegas in New Yorks" (Roller Coaster/Manhattan Express)
Brother - "Nemesis."
Mum - "Hi e the big red one in blackpool x" (The Big One)

In the Bell Family, the Alton Towers coasters are the most famous.

I'd like to think that Top Thrill Dragster is famous. Ok, so non-enthusiasts might not know it's name but how many of you have received an email with TTD photos titled "OMG"? or had people say to you or "I saw this big race car coaster on so & so channel last night, cor, that's big and fast".

Whenever somebody learns about my rollercoaster interest the words that follow are, "Have you been on that massive one in America that zooms up and down?"

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Has to be the Cyclone.

Many in the US, non ride fans included, know if it and what it is. Kind of a part of American lore itself, with Coney Island.
I'd wager it's the most famous in the world also. Not sure how non enthusiasts are in other countries but the ones I know, knew of the Cyclone.

Kingda Ka is the modern example for sure.