What's new

More China: Fantawild Ningbo - Part 2: Glorious Orient

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Since I’ve now finished with that Florida nonsense, I can now get back to what really matters: reporting on cloned coasters in terribly-operated Chinese parks that nobody gives a f**k about!

I’d been up to Ningbo before, as part of a longer trip around that area, but they annoyingly opened a Fantawild park (Oriental Heritage) quite soon after. Since then, they’ve added a second park right next door (Glorious Orient), so it’s been on the cards for ages. I finally decided to do it as a “birthday weekend” thing so that I could drag the semi-willing BF with me.

We got a Friday evening flight up to Ningbo, but the parks aren’t really in the city at all. Instead, they’re up in an area called Cixi, which took about an hour and 15 minutes in a taxi. We stayed in a hotel up near the parks since that obviously made the most sense, getting in quite late. It was very cold; this will be important.

I’d decided on the older park first, Oriental Heritage, thinking that the newer park would be more of a step up for the second day. Apologies in advance for dome really piss-poor indoor photos. It was a combination of me just trying to snap things quickly and the camera just not playing ball at all. Honestly, my phone camera takes better "dark" photos, which I really should remember in future.

Oriental Heritage

For the uninitiated, the Oriental Heritage parks are based around Chinese myths and legends and are designed with an “ancient China” aesthetic.

We’d been looking at the park’s website the night before, and saw that the outdoor coasters would only operate if it reached a certain temperature: 7°C for the woodie and 8°C for the Vekoma Boomerang. This wasn’t ideal, but the temperature was due to hit 8°C at around midday and rise up to 9 or 10 for the rest of the afternoon. Signs outside the park had the exact same information.

It’s China though, innit? At the ticket window, they assured us of the temperature thing, but then, at the gate, they said that the coasters wouldn’t open at all. It was a case of “well, we’re here so whatever.”

2lwUs0oh.jpg

GhO5nMFh.jpg

zXXVC2Bh.jpg

l9IPcvJh.jpg

7z6vsM4h.jpg

The park was dead, more dead than I’ve ever seen a Fantawild park, which are always dead. I put it down to the cold weather and the fact that it was right after the Chinese New Year holidays, so anyone thinking of going would’ve gone then.

There was a big show here, Lady Mengjiang, which I’d seen before elsewhere and thought was excellent, but it was the only thing that day which was down for “maintenance”. It’s far more likely due to costs since it was a huge show with lots of performers. Disappointing, but actually understandable and not a priority.

There was also this, though, which was something completely different and had ben removed from the maps completely. No idea what it used to be.

otaLH7Bh.jpg

Sgx03Ykh.jpg

A lot of things were running to a schedule, which is normal and expected at Fantawild since some of the rides have huge capacities. First up was Romance Across the Stars, which is one of Fantawild’s quite old-school attractions with a rotating auditorium that move up into a huge dome screen. I think this film was new to me though; I’m not sure. I’ve definitely done one of these with a Monkey King theme, but this wasn’t that.

LiZ0UZ1h.jpg

wNpTQaQh.jpg

Next up was Pear Garden Tour, which I’ve really done too many times and am a bit sick of, but it had been a while. It uses huge vehicles which are very similar to the old Epcot Universe of Energy ride and is based on Chinese opera. You go through different Chinese towns (mostly very good sets), with the different styles of opera (which all sound basically the same) being performed by people in the buildings (screens within the sets), and ending with a huge rotating platform and 360 screen. It’s equal parts impressive and incredibly boring. The sound was f**ked in a few sections as well.

Soeg77zh.jpg

HRZIEK9h.jpg

072QS3vh.jpg

kzZ49EPh.jpg

This is just a big 3D theatre with a “history of China” film which is more than slightly nationalistic.

t9u8J2gh.jpg

The pagodas in the middle of most (all) Oriental Heritage parks looks like very impressive theming, but actually contain a drop tower. I’ve found them to be a very mixed bag, moving between meh and terrible, with this one being by far the absolute worst.

1fDxVqBh.jpg

dtbXFYrh.jpg

It was very clearly f**ked, with none of the effects working. The windows at the top, for example, are supposed to open before the main (forceless) drop, but I’ve only seen that actually work on 2 of these rides. This one also, inexplicably, finished its ride cycle at the top of the tower and then took literally 4 minutes to crawl back down. Absolutely awful.

I’d almost forgotten that there was at least an indoor cred here, Night Rescue. It’s Jinma’s direct clone of a Vekoma Mine Train, but in the dark, and is actually pretty decent and at least I managed a +1.

MGgK9MVh.jpg

TUs89EKh.jpg

cfOSFzch.jpg

The insides of the buildings were just as cold as outside – colder, actually, in the afternoon – but those rides had no problem operating, just the coasters outside. I guess it could’ve been down to ride type, but it’s probably more down to Fantawild’s bulls**t.

Jinshan Temple Showdown! One of my favourite Fantawild rides. Following an epic queue line, it’s a massive boat ride which ends with an effects show, all based on the White Snake legend. It’s such a great attraction.

1XW9vRGh.jpg

A888VIqh.jpg

9y7kD3dh.jpg

DZw9RyTh.jpg

Legend/Story of Nuwa is also an excellent attraction, a 4D motion-based dark ride.

XdOAulQh.jpg

Atq1so2h.jpg

Only this time, there didn’t seem to be much motion. It’s been a while, so maybe I’m misremembering, but I’m sure it used to move a lot more. This felt much more like being moved from screen to screen without much else.

This “Butterfly Lovers” show is also a staple and is quite impressive, using live actors in a glass box with some very impressive projections/illusions. I didn’t try to take pictures of the show, so here’s the building.

0Gu6rp6h.jpg

l5jH8s6h.jpg

OIf2D2rh.jpg

Devil’s Peak is a ride which I admire in its scope of ambition but despise for what a pain in the arse it is to ride. It’s Fantawild’s take on the “Forbidden Journey” ride system, and is surprisingly good for the most part. The dome screen sections fail slightly in that they’re not deep enough, so you can totally see all the edges without even trying, but It’s otherwise quite impressive.

N1OoUPph.jpg

WPdCmL0h.jpg

It falls down massively in its operations though. This had a queue – a very small queue of about 30 people, but a queue nonetheless - which from previous experience I knew would take at least half an hour, probably more. Imagine Forbidden Journey. Now imagine Forbidden Journey with one ride vehicle. Now imagine Forbidden Journey with one ride vehicle and having to wait for the occupants of that vehicle to leave the station before a ride op comes into a holding room to let 4 more people in. This time at least, there was a 3-minute preshow video being played on a loop and which I hadn't seen before, so that wasn’t annoying as f**k.

I timed it, it was 5 minutes between each group of four being let into the station (maybe they were two vehicles in that case?), giving a capacity of 48 people per hour. Forbidden Journey probably does that per minute. Yeah, it’s unfair to compare them, and I know that the park was dead, but it’s still horrendously bad.

Have some pictures of theming to break up the text.

wkM5blMh.jpg

USB0nl2h.jpg

2xOoT11h.jpg

I3VnPg3h.jpg

By this point, it was well into the afternoon, with the temperature at a steady, tropical 9°C, but, as promised at the gate - though not on the website, sign boards or at the ticket office - the two outdoor coasters remained closed.

faLFagCh.jpg

6ZTZW6rh.jpg

qVKLeGKh.jpg

Ftiq20Xh.jpg

There was one outdoor coaster that was running, however, and it was one that was not listed on RCDB!

Bonus cred! Only not because look at it:

29XcCN2h.jpg

he3A7DPh.jpg

wQqsoAth.jpg

It had been a very long time since I’d done a “Boonie Bear Theatre” thing, this one called Storytime Theatre. It’s quite an impressive, though overly-complicated attraction in which the whole theatre rotates to look at different 3D screens.

WoLP8exh.jpg

qL4z7Gph.jpg

aJyE37Mh.jpg

gQ2MDA5h.jpg

And then we finished off with Colourful Tour, a “Small World” ride which focuses purely on different parts of China. I’ve tried in the past to put my finger on why this ride is extra creepy/crappy, and I figured out it’s because every single animatronic has the same face, just the same hard, shiny, plastic, unmoving face on every single one. This version had the added bonus of about 75% of the animatronics being on strike.

QlV41u5h.jpg

ndiC5KVh.jpg

bKnqmIkh.jpg

Despite what it seems, it wasn’t an awful day. I’ve perhaps been overly-critical as I’ve been writing this since we got quite a lot done, including all of the dark rides, and, really, that’s what it’s all about when you come to Fantawild. There was nothing I hadn’t done before, but it had been a few years, and the BF had never been to a Fantawild park, so it was interesting to get another perspective (and some translation/commentary). It's disappointing to see a lack of care though with regards to things clearly needing a bit of maintenance and not getting it. This also seems to be the norm for Fantawild though: build a new park and then ignore the old one.

Since I had someone who speaks fluent Mandarin with me, I thought I’d have a chat with guest services on the way out, not as a complaint necessarily since they really don’t care and nothing would be done, but more for my own curiosity and having no "lost in translation" issues The answers were basically, “Yeah, you should ignore the website. Yeah, you should ignore the signs on the board which are only about 50 meters away from this office. No, the big coaster at the other park probably won’t open tomorrow. If you want to ride the coasters, you should come back in April.”

The temperature the next day was predicted to be quite a lot higher at around 14°C, so the fact that they were seemingly already planning not to open anything really did piss me off. I was pretty much resigned to it at that point, figuring that at least the coasters at Fantawild are pretty much the secondary attractions and that it really was partly my own fault for not considering the weather too much, though, in my defence, that day had dropped to an unexpectedly low temperature. I was with the boyfriend and it was an early birthday thing as well, so it just became a case of making the most of it and not sulking.

Luckily, the Guest Services bint, whose job it should be to know about these very simple things, was talking from the deepest recesses of her arse. I’ll just end this day with some comical signs:

RC5U2SFh.jpg

d5Z6rdJh.jpg

jIXnJqUh.jpg

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Since I’ve now finished with that Florida nonsense, I can now get back to what really matters: reporting on cloned coasters in terribly-operated Chinese parks that nobody gives a f**k about!

Yesssss! This is more like it Gav. 😁

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
There's just something about that Ningbo park that doesn't want to be liked... Had the same temperature issues there many years ago but have comfortably ridden better things in other Fantawilds at 1 or 2°C.

Only this time, there didn’t seem to be much motion. It’s been a while, so maybe I’m misremembering, but I’m sure it used to move a lot more. This felt much more like being moved from screen to screen without much else.
Yeah that version of Nuwa was barely moving for me last time. New ones are still violent. They've either got better at making them, or they get worse over time with poor maintenance. Probably both.
Same with the drop tower.

The answers were basically, “Yeah, you should ignore the website. Yeah, you should ignore the signs on the board which are only about 50 meters away from this office. No,
Get the app is usually their standard response. People are far more likely to read their phone screens than a website or a sign, and operationally they've taken that to heart.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Onto the second park then. We had a flight back at around 7 (to Shenzhen rather than Hong Kong which added another layer of faff, but it was the only flight that would work), so needed to be out of the park by around 4. Not a problem since Fantawild usually closes at 5pm anyway.

Glorious Orient is one of Fantawild’s newer park brands/concepts, this time based around China’s illustrious military history and hatred of the Japanese. Fun! I’d only just done one of these parks a few months earlier, and I was expecting it to be pretty much identical, which it pretty much was.

xw2D1jkh.jpg

J21mYvvh.jpg

3fXLtINh.jpg

We’d already been told by the guest services bint the previous day that the main coaster here, Fighter Jet, wouldn’t be open, and the sign out front had it listed as “temporarily closed” which was different from the temperature-based signs from the previous day.

A staff member on the gate told us that one of the rides, some “space” thing, would only be open until 12pm (it was half ten when we got there), so we should go there first. Thinking it might be one of their big dark rides, we did just that.

b1XLrXxh.jpg

Oh.

Anyway, Fighter Jet was testing!

AkypU1Ph.jpg

s5WrdmHh.jpg

XvIKsBXh.jpg

We grabbed the kiddy coaster nearby first since we were right next to it anyway. I’ve since realised that it was my 500th Chinese cred.

4v9i2VNh.jpg

GemfUSih.jpg

And then Fighter Jet was open, so we got on the first train of the day. In a very confusing moment, which I doubt will ever happen again, the signage out front had been accurate and the closure had indeed been temporary.

oooXEaTh.jpg

nA6jWiIh.jpg

Z9tQPQHh.jpg

wn62Polh.jpg

PasaVlJh.jpg

I’d already just done a clone of it, but it’s a very good ride. The aircraft carrier theming is also pretty decent. I did a couple of “quick” rerides (as quick as you can with Fantawild anyway) since there was nobody there.

The final cred was yet another Vekoma family boomerang. Who remembers when these were a fun novelty rather than a tedious +1?

3br4dJwh.jpg

tUPjowkh.jpg

cBetzsZh.jpg

Then it was onto the dark rides. I didn’t actually take many pictures. The ride and show selection seemed identical to the Ganzhou park, but with a different layout. The Ganzhou park was bigger I think, with a whole “old Hong Kong” area, but didn’t have any more attractions as far as I remember. The big show was closed for “maintenance”, but I had no interest in watching it again really, and also skipped the other two shows for reasons which will become apparent later.

Z28gKw1h.jpg

6Sitye1h.jpg

There was a ride right next to the kiddy boomerang, Railroad Warriors, but a big tour group were heading into it. Knowing how operations are, I thought it would be best to move on from it for now. I think we counted about 12 different tour groups, all full of people who were clearly 60+. I’ve never seen that at a Fantawild park before. I’m going to guess that it’s sold as some kind of historical experience.

The annoying thing is that they were all staying in their big groups, following a guide from attraction to attraction. Tour groups are very much a thing in China, fine, but I don’t understand the mentality of sticking with a guide inside an amusement park, especially when it’s in your own country and everything is in your own language. They were old though I guess. Hong Kong Disneyland don’t allow it. You can take your group up to the front gate, but then they’re on their own.

I hadn’t done the flying theatre at the last park, which had been in a “space” area with a corresponding ride building. I think it’s safe to say it was the same ride though. I can take or leave them, but I hadn’t done this one elsewhere, and the bf has, surprisingly, never done one. It was whelming.

p6tlPTgh.jpg

hF1xRp7h.jpg

LOE52R7h.jpg

Still deciding to keep Railroad Warriors for later, we headed to Hangar Breakout, which is a 4D dark ride involving breaking into a hangar and killing lots of Japanese people. It’s very good, but out of the three big dark rides here is, for me, the weakest, so a good one to start with. There was quite a big queue because of the tour groups, who also are not big fans of personal space, so we ended up waiting about half an hour, which wasn’t too bad. The cars hold 16 people (I think? Or is it 12?) and they were loading two at a time.

The best part was a woman in the row behind us deciding to continue her queue-line picnic on the ride and then choking on a sweet potato from start to finish.

XvNOVt7h.jpg

5EEP2qXh.jpg

hPn0UWRh.jpg

I made an interesting (for me anyway) discovery while riding. It actually travels through the layout twice. There’s a section in the middle where you’re moving sideways with some screens in front of you, but when I looked off to the side, I saw that we were moving through the ride station. So, you go through the whole thing again, obviously with different stuff on the screens, with the ride vehicles facing different stuff as it moves between them, meaning you’ve got a very big dark ride in a much smaller space.

From here it was back to Railroad Warriors, which now had zero queue. The tour groups seemingly just did each ride once and then just hung around the park. I like this one, it’s a combination of screens and some very impressive sets, with the screen-based, simulator sections working very well. You’re accompanying/protecting a train and you get to kill lots of Japanese people. There are even guns on the front of the cars, which light up but don’t actually affect what’s happening on the screens as far as I could tell.

uQQmeNXh.jpg

They also had the same shooting dark ride as the other park, which I didn’t take any pictures of, but this was in a kiddy area and had a bright cartoon theme, so the kids aren’t shooting any Japanese people in this one. There was also a big 3D theatre which I’d missed at the last park, with the film being based on Chinese generals/leaders. There was also another of these spiteful little bastards:

rDv0xJih.jpg

The final major ride was Xiyuan, a huge boat ride using the Shanghai Disney Pirates of the Caribbean ride system. It’s seriously impressive stuff, using a mix of sets, huge screens and physical/lighting effects. It’s probably the best thing that Fantawild have produced. Well, technically at least. It’s still a bit heavy on the Chinese propaganda, though nowhere near as much as on Hangar Breakout, Railroad Warriors or any of the shows.

osAQ0F0h.jpg

UzuK4tKh.jpg

Now, at some point we had gone to guest services at the front of the park to ask about the coasters across at Oriental Heritage since it was a much warmer day. They said they “probably” would be open, but I got them to phone over to make sure. Sure enough, they were open. Such amazing advice to “come back in April” from guest services the previous day. Fantawild, along with the vast majority of Chinese parks, don’t allow reentry, so even though we had a two-day ticket, it was only good for one entry at each park. There would have been absolutely no point in arguing the case for letting us back in, so we didn’t.

The bf didn’t want to ride the coasters at the other park – he’d been put off woodies by the one in Vietnam – so I just headed across by myself to quickly grab the creds and then head out. He could’ve watched a couple of the shows in the meantime, but he’d had enough of the Chinese propaganda, so just sat in Starbucks watching Taylor Swift videos.

The staff at the ticket office were extremely confused about somebody wanting a ticket at 3pm, with three different people being brought over to tell me the park was closing at 5pm. My “That’s fine, I know, It’s not a problem” message on Google translate wasn’t doing it for them, so a fourth person, a manager who spoke some English, was brought over and my somewhat exasperated “I know it closes soon, will you just sell me a ticket!” finally resulted in me getting one.

It was straight over to Jungle Trailblazer. The park seemed even more dead than the day before, and I had an awful feeling that the coaster wouldn’t actually be open. It was though.

JaeTN2Xh.jpg

se66Ttjh.jpg

I9qA4Vjh.jpg

tp0dinWh.jpg

I think it’s a clone of the one in Jinan, or at least very close to it, which I’d really enjoyed, but that had been a very long time ago. This one was absolutely awful though, and clearly hasn’t been maintained very well. I did a back row ride and the first drop was good, but then the section between that and the corkscrew was horrendous. Everyone was just yelling in pain and then silent for the rest of the ride, which is rough and boring, before clearly complaining to each other as they were getting off.

I stupidly did a reride, this time in the middle of the train, and if anything, it was actually worse there. Total piece of s**t.

t7ddpxph.jpg

BeWXTZph.jpg

R2IpNvzh.jpg

rlyqzNWh.jpg

1ThsjrMh.jpg

4aEfjyIh.jpg

From Jungle Trailblazer’s station, I could see that the boomerang was running. I do enjoy that Fantawild have the name of Stress Express for all their boomerangs. This one was fine actually, and no doubt also helped by the vest restraints which eliminated any headbanging, not that I think this one would’ve had much of that anyway.

3f2uhoch.jpg

2cEOnwPh.jpg

jh7rkYhh.jpg

qsHoEjfh.jpg

5JeMv2Yh.jpg

That was it. We just collected our bags from some lockers outside Glorious Orient and got a taxi back down to the airport.

Those coasters opening on the second day, even though two of them were pretty crap, definitely made a difference to my overall thoughts of the weekend. We had a decent enough time honestly, and would have even without the creds.

I’m really glad that the coasters opened on that second day though since I honestly couldn’t have seen myself heading back here since it’s such a pain in the arse, being kind of close to three major cities (Ningbo, Hangzhou and Shanghai) without actually being close enough to any of them to make it convenient.

Cixi is very clearly supposed to be one of those “new town/city” areas, and is therefore full of huge, empty apartment complexes, a couple of empty hotels who took a gamble on the area taking off, and f**k all else. It’s also very close to the Hangzhou Bay Bridge, so I’m guessing that they were expecting people working in Shanghai to flood over for cheaper housing. This clearly hasn’t happened. To be fair, it was just after the New Year holidays, so it would’ve been especially quiet when we were there. Apparently, the parks do quite quite a few guests during certain periods, heading across the bridge from Shanghai.

They’re already about to open a 3rd gate, just a kiddy park, so I don’t know if that’s an indication of current guest numbers.

Anyway, I’ll stop waffling. That’s me done with the current backlog of trip reports.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Some good last minute redemption with the creds there, but yeah that woodie is cooked!
I'd be reluctant to revisit any of my faves now as I worry for the state of the rest of them and we're less than a decade in.
That all your trailblazers now?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Unfortunately not. The one in Wuhu was closed because of rain when I was there, but that's the only one to go now I think.

The "going back" thing is definite issue. I'd really liked the Dreamland park in Xiamen, but when I went back a few years later when they opened Oriental Heritage, it was clear the 1st park was had been left behind.

Last edited:

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Great report again: Have you been or planning to go to Xiyou Word of Adventure? the journey to the west theme park with the monkey king attractions - saw some stuff on it and it looks pretty impressive and unique.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Great report again: Have you been or planning to go to Xiyou Word of Adventure? the journey to the west theme park with the monkey king attractions - saw some stuff on it and it looks pretty impressive and unique.

At some point yeah. I'm holding off a bit to see what happens with the new Fantawild park in Huai'an, so I can look at tieing that in as well.