What's new

Mitch Hawker 2013 Steel Poll

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Really shows the power of the ballot - there was a one vote split in between Expedition/NTG and NTG/Intimidator 305. Skyrush and Maverick were also only divided by two votes.

Overall this is an intriguing list of results. A lot of Intamins are trending upwards (not to mention NTG poised for a #1 spot), while longtime winner Bizarro has begun to slide. Good to see Nemesis back in the top 10 as well.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Looking through the completed ballots, somehow mine isn't present. Well that's annoying.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I love how Millennium Force isn't even top 10 anymore <3
but kinda bummed about Bizarro, although I place most of the blame on the park itself for adding those terrible trains and even modifying those (for the worse!) I also love that favorite WOOD would have placed #1 overall <3 <3 <3 and Apollo's Chariot being 40th makes me wanna cry (my co-#1)

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Seems like a pretty decent representation.

Although personally i thought Rattler was just OK and had i ridden it before I voted would have placed it pretty far down my list.

njn63

Mega Poster
roomraider said:
Seems like a pretty decent representation.

Although personally i thought Rattler was just OK and had i ridden it before I voted would have placed it pretty far down my list.
I was surprised by Rattler being that high as well.

Gatekeeper at 108? I understand it's not a top 10 coaster but didn't expect it that far down.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Strange enough, I actually have Iron Rattler ahead of NTG, 9 and 10 respectively.

B&M Hypers do appear to have taken a beating though - Diamondback and Goliath SFoG have also taken a tumble.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Casio said:
Results!
And what about Space Fantasy at USJ? I hadn't even heard of it 10 minutes ago and it's come in at 52! Not suggesting that I have to have heard of a ride for it to be good...

Yeah, I went to USJ expecting absolutely NOTHING from Space Fantasy and was absolutely blown away with what a good presentation the whole ride has, not to mention that it's lots of fun. As more people ride it, I wouldn't be surprised to see it move up into the top 20-25.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think it's about time to put the mega-lites together. 3 identical coasters are in the top 20. All four of them would have been had the one in Chengdu had enough riders (riding it tomorrow; just saying).

I didn't bother voting this year, so I'm not going to comment in detail. I'm glad to see EGF over Bizzaro though, and at a total loss as to why I305 is placed so highly.

marc

CF Legend
^im not shocked about i305 a certain group leader raves about it.

I did not vote this year, I rode a totally of 4 coasters last year and not many the year before either.

It's great to see Nemesis still there.

andrus

Giga Poster
I305 is awesome :--D I'm glad it's all the way up at #3! And that Skyrush has climbed the charts and comes in at #5 this year! These two coasters are something different, way above the rest of the ~200 other creds I've ridden to date.. Here's hoping to that parks actually look at this list and buys a first class I305/Skyrush style coaster!!

I'm also glad to see Juvelen up at #49! Ok, I wish it would have placed even higher, it really deserve some credit! It's rather strange to see the mega lites up in the top ten since I very much prefered Juvelen to Piraten (although Piraten is still a good ride).

Darren B

Giga Poster
Glad to EGF at number 1, I obviously have fantastic taste in coasters :wink:

But The Smiler at 38? are you **** joking? I don't get that for a minute. and I will elaborate...

-It's dull, it does nothing but continuously invert. YAWN.
-It's already uncomfortable. It's BRAND NEW! why does it ride like a 20 year old Vekoma?
-How is it the second best coaster in the UK? It doesn't even come close to NI, Stealth, Oblivion. And IMO it doesn't hold a torch to Swarm, Shockwave or PMBO either. It's the 3rd best coaster at AT at best.

I have to conclude by looking at the full results that the 2013 MH voters were a mixture of well travelled enthusiasts and TowersStreet forum members. There is no other explanation.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Darren B said:

But The Smiler at 38? are you **** joking? I don't get that for a minute. and I will elaborate...

-It's already uncomfortable. It's BRAND NEW! why does it ride like a 20 year old Vekoma?
-How is it the second best coaster in the UK? It doesn't even come close to NI, Stealth, Oblivion. And IMO it doesn't hold a torch to Swarm, Shockwave or PMBO either. It's the 3rd best coaster at AT at best.

I have to conclude by looking at the full results that the 2013 MH voters were a mixture of well travelled enthusiasts and TowersStreet forum members. There is no other explanation.

In YOUR opinion.

Pretty much answers your questions.

Quite surprising to see how far down the list even within the UK PMBO is, expected it to be up there. Nemesis Inferno too was far lower than expected.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Smithy said:
Darren B said:

In YOUR opinion.

Pretty much answers your questions.

Quite surprising to see how far down the list even within the UK PMBO is, expected it to be up there. Nemesis Inferno too was far lower than expected.

The thing is though, Smithy, it's not just my opinion, it's shared by many others too. A roller coaster that is given such hit and miss reviews isn't expected to make number 38 in the overall polls and number 2 in the Uk polls. And c'mon, is it really the second best coaster in the UK? It's really not.

I'm not saying that my views are correct but I share the opinion of many other enthusiasts that rate The Smiler as 'meh' at best.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Well no offence Darren but you are just ignoring the facts. It finished #38 pure and simple, meaning a fair few people obviously like it regardless of enthusiasts that think substandard. Many people do think its meh. Many obviously don't.

I usually find its the people who dislike a ride who vocalise more than the people who like it, which gives a negative lean on forums.

I've not ridden it so can't really comment on my own opinion. But as someone who's top 10 is almost exclusively big looping rides I imagine I'd quite like it.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^Im still insisting it was an elaborate ploy by AT fanboys to get it so high ;)

But, whatever. I'm not going to waste my evening arguing that the Smiler is ****. It clearly shouldn't be at 38 and Stealth shouldn't be at 121. End of discussion.

BBH

Giga Poster
Wow, surprised to see X-Flight so low, 112 from last year's 58. By comparison, Raging Bull (the park's far inferior B&M hyper) is 76, down from 57 last year. Didn't expect the fall to be nearly as big.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Darren you're basically telling us that the poll filled in by rollercoaster enthusiasts is wrong because you know rollercoaster enthusiasts who think differently.

Its obviously benefitting from being a new ride, but I'd rank it above Stealth, Saw, Shockwave and most of the other rides you listed easily.

Fwiw Stealth was near the bottom of my list iirc. Smiler clearly isn't a **** ride, on the whole, though I do think it'll drop below 75 next year.