What's new

Medusa/Bizarro possibly leaving Great Adventure @ end of '12

bmac

Giga Poster
The rumor mill in New Jersey has been churning for quite a while with Great Adventure and what could possibly be happening for 2013. Besides that 450+ ft. tall drop tower on Kingda Ka rumor there have been quite a few more rumors churning in and out of the mill this year, with the one occurring most being the final removal of Bizarro at the end of the year for something new.

Now what will take its place I have no clue, but rumors have gone anywhere from a Wing Rider to a new entrance for the revamped Wild Safari akin to Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens Tampa. Well the Wing Rider has been blatantly denied by the park and pretty much everyone with an inside scoop, so all fingers are pointing at the new entrance for the safari.

What'll happen to Medusa / Bizarro is still unsure, but people are pointing at Six Flags over Texas or Six Flags St. Louis as the new home being as they've removed rides to make space for something new. Bizarro is still in excellent shape considering the fact that it's 13 years old. The special effects on the other hand, well they haven't been working 100% since 2010. The mechanics and the park just don't care about the special effects and prefer to keep the speakers off and save the flamethrowers and misters for the busiest of days, where it still opens at 12 noon. So pretty much the ride has become a neglected marvel by the park.

Snoo

The Legend
Re: Medusa/Bizarro possibly leaving Great Adventure @ end of

Tell you what, a 450ft drop tower would be legit.

bmac

Giga Poster

Snoo said:
Tell you what, a 450ft drop tower would be legit.

I understand that 100%, I mean the park has been looking into it and they are definitely stepping up in the "The park needs more flat rides desperately" campaign. They already have 80% of the queue done, and really the only thing needed is approval from Jackson Township (which they'd unanimously approve anyways). The thing is, there's a hell of a lot less to latch onto with Kingda Ka's structure than what there is for Superman, so Intamin will probably have to build custom in order to build it.

Another long standing rumor was a 70 mph launch coaster that played around with Golden Kingdom and Plaza Del Carnival, but that has been shelved along with the 5D ride and quite a few other rumors.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Where are these rumours coming from?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^No, it's the Dippin Dots guy. They sit in on the planning meetings. ;)

Lofty

CF Legend

This rumour is terrible. At the end of the day, they spent a lot of money on an upgrade for the ride a mere few years ago, I highly doubt them getting rid of it anytime soon.

STC

Mega Poster

Unless there's a really good reason, parks don't just swap relatively new and decent B&Ms around like they're trading cards.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster

They could do a drop tower at Kingda Ka and replace Bizarro with a wingrider in the same year, but it's not gonna happen. I'd rather they replace Bizarro first, then get the drop tower later.

Jake

Strata Poster

I dunno actually... a SF park with less creds would benefit a LOT if they got Medusa. At Great Adventure it's just... a filler. I imagine this is the case even more so now they've got the stand up. I doubt removing it would affect the park that much.

They can't have spent THAT much upgrading it anyway?

bmac

Giga Poster

It sits in a very awkward spot in Great Adventure, at the far corner of a circle where the nearest attractions are the Lone Star Stadium and the Conestoga Wagon (food). There isn't that much foot traffic in the area unless there's a concert or other event that takes place in the Stadium, so the ride often doesn't have enough activity near it to open with the rest of the park. Don't forget the fact that nearly ALL of the effects have gone to waste after 18 months. The mechanics don't give an honest **** about the speakers and the misters and flamethrowers often are only saved for the busiest of days. It doesn't look good for a park when they blatantly neglect one of their supposedly top attractions. Really the only naysay I've heard that has any merit is that it was recently refurbed, but if you take one visit to the ride you'll see just why I'm talking about neglect.

A101

Mega Poster

I do hope that Bizarro stays at Great Adventure, as many enthusiasts, (me included,) think if SFGAd as an unofficial B&M showcase, and even if the floorless was replaced with a wing coaster or dive coaster, it wouldn't feel right.

On the other hand, the old must make way for the new, and B&M hasn't built a new floorless in the US in a while, so maybe it would work out the move around Bizarro. (If they do, do you think they'll keep the theme or change it back to something more basic and universal like the original name Medusa?)

bmac

Giga Poster

A101 said:
On the other hand, the old must make way for the new, and B&M hasn't built a new floorless in the US in a while, so maybe it would work out the move around Bizarro. (If they do, do you think they'll keep the theme or change it back to something more basic and universal like the original name Medusa?)

It'll probably become more basic, Bizarro was used as a "pocket dimension" when you walked under the main sign which acted as the portal (the background to it is shown in small comic strips in the line). Wherever it may go they certainly cannot pull that stunt effectively.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

They better build something good if they ARE removing it. That's a solid ride, I really liked it...

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster

I can never see the drop tower on King Da Ka happening. It's just to far from the rest of the park.

bmac

Giga Poster

From Great Adventure's Facebook
Breaking News: Six Flags Wild Safari will discontinue allowing guests to drive their own vehicles through its gates on September 30, 2012. The animals will all remain on property and under the excellent care of our veterinary and animal husbandry staff. More to come when we release the details for our 2013 season on August 30, 2012.

Still doubting? How about this?

8510051.png

The only other point that gets to the safari from the park is by Kingda Ka. The current private tour bus approach goes through the parking lot and goes through the main entrance to the safari, so there will have to be a whole new pathway for the buses/trucks if they have the boarding point in the Golden Kingdom.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

I REALLY want this coaster to come to St. Louis. It's not happening though.

Astro

Roller Poster
I would support it coming to SFOT. It would make a natural companion to Krypton Coaster at Fiesta Texas.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Sure hope not!
It's a fun lil ride that doesn't seem to have long lines much anymore (who woulda thunk it years ago?)
Not a great ride but not worth removing at all.