What's new

Marmite; love it or hate it?

Marmite; love it or hate it?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. As you might know, I love a good poll! And today, I thought to myself; what better poll to do than a poll on Marmite, arguably the king of polarising things? Even the makers of Marmite themselves have previously referenced this split in opinion in their previous marketing campaigns, and from what I’ve noticed, the vast majority of people seem to have an opinion of Marmite that is either on the starkly positive end of the spectrum or the starkly negative end of the spectrum!

For those of you that don’t know, Marmite is “a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, salty, powerful flavour” (pulled from Wikipedia). I’m not sure if it’s made outside of the UK, but it’s certainly very prominent and well-known here in Britain!

As for my personal opinion; I’m afraid I fall firmly into the hate it camp. I’ve tried it numerous times, and it’s just too sharp and savoury for me to like it, personally.

But what are your thoughts? Are you a love it person or a hate it person, or are you somewhere in between?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Why it's the 'growing up spread you never grow out of', of course.
Love it, had some this morning.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I like it, but the texture is way too runny (It's like honey)
Vegemite tastes very similar but the texture is more like margarine, so it stays on your knife and spreads well.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Anyone else into using bovril as a spread rather than a drink? It's great on toast and also mixed into pasta. I can take or leave marmite but bovril tastes gorgeous, slightly less sharp.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Did you know that if you slap a blob repeatedly with a knife, it slowly turns white.
True.
Probably.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
I like it, but the texture is way too runny (It's like honey)
Vegemite tastes very similar but the texture is more like margarine, so it stays on your knife and spreads well.
I presume you're talking about the New Zealand version of Marmite? The original British stuff is a significantly different beast. Thicker than honey, and sharper and more in-your-face than Vegemite.
Why it's the 'growing up spread you never grow out of', of course.
I suspect there may be something in that old slogan! I've been eating Marmite since I was a toddler which probably helps explain why I still love it so much. I spread it on like it's Nutella. Which given the amount of salt in it is, I'm guessing, a tad unhealthy!

Peet

Giga Poster
I used to proudly tell people that I thought it was all right, disproving the old slogan. But as time's gone on I liked it more and more and I now have to reluctantly admit that I love it.

If you've never tried honey and marmite on toast, do it!