What's new

Marineland of Canada (may) be closing/sold

cookie

Giga Poster
Marineland of Canada, known for the Dragon Mountain Arrow looping coaster and the park's long history of animal mistreatment and abuse, may be looking to either be sold or shut down completely, it appears. The park's lawyers have registered to lobby the Ontario government with the goal of selling the property. The park's been rumored to be on the chopping block for years, but this year it might finally happen.

In a section describing lobbying goals, Burns wrote “sale of Marineland of Canada Inc.”

“Potential zoning changes to the property to permit development,” Burns wrote. “Potential financial support and tax relief for park development of its operations. Potential requests for relief from taxation in connection with economic development of the tourism development proposal.”

Fiender

Roller Poster
So, BEFORE this announcement, Amusement Insiders (gasp :p) had suggested the owners of 100 Kellog Lane, some non-amusment park entertainment complex, were the favored buyers of Marineland. Recently, he's claimed another, much bigger buyer has stepped into the fray. AI suggested Hard Rock, or even Hershey might be interested. Some crazy suggestions, sure, but these claims were made before this sale went public.

All of the rezoning/development being requested by Marineland gives some credence to the buyer being a "big player", as building an amusement park isn't cheap and the existing Marineland attractions are very spread out. These concessions from Ontario might be a prerequisite from this buyer before they actually scoop up the park. Much less incentive to buy Marineland if they can't possibly sell some of it off, and develop the rest as they see fit.

Now, how Marineland's sordid past will factor into this is hard to say. I think it depends on the perception of Ontario's elected officials. Is "The Current Owner" at fault, or is "Marineland" at fault. If they feel the latter, they might not want the park to exist in any form, even if the buyers would completely rebrand it and not have any animal shows. And if Ontario doesn't grant at least some of these concessions, I could see the park going to the 100 Kellog Lane people instead.

As an enthusiast who lives, like, an hour away from Marineland, I sincerely hope it gets developed into something big, new, and fancy, but as an animal lover, I also hope any wrong doings from the previous owner are punished, and that the remaining animals are treated as well as possible during any such transition.

If I don't end up getting Dragon Mountain after having been to Niagara Falls a dozen times in my life, that would be very spiteful but totally my own fault. It has potential and a lot of land I believe, so I hope they can make it into something nicer. Canada could use more parks, but it's close to Wonderland and Darien Lake so I'm not sure how successful it would be based on geographics.

Fiender

Roller Poster
If I don't end up getting Dragon Mountain after having been to Niagara Falls a dozen times in my life, that would be very spiteful but totally my own fault. It has potential and a lot of land I believe, so I hope they can make it into something nicer. Canada could use more parks, but it's close to Wonderland and Darien Lake so I'm not sure how successful it would be based on geographics.
I honestly don't feel like Darien lake is a concern. They're close but they're on opposite sites of a border, and Marineland is smack dab in the middle of a huge tourist region. It wouldn't be too difficult to out-compete Darien anyway, considering Six Flags's troubles and the fact they don't even own the park, so why would they invest heavily into it?

As for CW, I went twice this year and the crows were very substantial. I overheard locals complaining about how busy the place gets. They might be primed for another nearby park. Not to contradict my earlier point, but during a Darien Lake visit, my group and I chatted up some other park goers who said they were from Canada and wanted to visit a less-busy park.

And I'm no industry expert but if the Virginia area can support both BGW and KD, I feel like the Ontario region could support a mid-sized competitor to Wonderland. Potential big oofs to Niagara Amusement Park, though.

Christian

Hyper Poster
The park probably has some of the necessary utilities installed. It might be cheaper to just buy it and develop something new there rather than starting from scratch. If marineland gets sold I highly doubt it will be the same as today.

I honestly don't feel like Darien lake is a concern. They're close but they're on opposite sites of a border, and Marineland is smack dab in the middle of a huge tourist region. It wouldn't be too difficult to out-compete Darien anyway, considering Six Flags's troubles and the fact they don't even own the park, so why would they invest heavily into it?

As for CW, I went twice this year and the crows were very substantial. I overheard locals complaining about how busy the place gets. They might be primed for another nearby park. Not to contradict my earlier point, but during a Darien Lake visit, my group and I chatted up some other park goers who said they were from Canada and wanted to visit a less-busy park.

And I'm no industry expert but if the Virginia area can support both BGW and KD, I feel like the Ontario region could support a mid-sized competitor to Wonderland. Potential big oofs to Niagara Amusement Park, though.

Wonderland is incredibly crowded pretty much always, and though it would be great to have a less busy park in Ontario, it would only be an hour and a half from Wonderland and unless they were ready to invest in it heaps, what could they realistically build there within a fairly quick time frame to compete with a Cedar Fair park and water park?

I feel like they'll just scrap it and build something completely different.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
It's would shame to see two of Canada's coolest coasters shutting down. Dragon Mountain seems like one of the most unique coaster out there. With how much I love Arrows I would definitely be bummed to see it close.

emoo

Hyper Poster
It's a shame those same coasters were left stagnating in parks few people could prioritise a visit with better options all around. And a lot of the uniqueness or main talking point on this one is it's decades long unfinished state. Along with poor planning and execution from the start.

If a new park is built I'd ask for a complete reboot from as near to scratch as practical. Shed the former dire image. Rearrange any flats worthy of keeping, and arrange the whole park into a more condensed layout or one that's a fun discovery to go through.

Christian

Hyper Poster
what could they realistically build there within a fairly quick time frame to compete with a Cedar Fair park and water park?

I don't think we will see something on the scale of Wonderland there. But the area has plenty of potential for either a well themed family park that offers something Wonderland doesn't. Legoland, Sesame Street, Mattel, etc.

Or a smaller entertainment destination serving the local tourist market like ICON Park in Orlando or something similar to a Fun Spot.

I could see both of these options doing pretty well. The location has great tourist traction, Wonderland is pretty crowded and land locked and Toronto is one of the fastest growing cities in North America.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I definitely understand the argument regarding Canada's Wonderland, but there are tons of Americans that go to Niagara and never bother to take the jaunt up to Toronto. Niagara is the destination. The bigger challenge in my view is not so much competition from Canada's Wonderland, but simply the fact that the park is on the Canadian side of Niagara so Americans are less likely to go. However, with the right operator and promotion, I feel like this park could be pretty viable.

If the park is purchased by a park operator, the candidate that sticks out to me is Herschend. They are very good at operating parks in major tourist destinations, they have experience with animal care, and they already have a presence in Canada so it wouldn't be a terribly new venture. And considering their purchase of Kentucky Kingdom, they clearly aren't too afraid of nearby competition.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
A major factor for any investor, even ones with a history of dealing with animal care, will be the animals themselves. Marine animals, captive orcas and dolphins especially, are pretty controversial to be kept in captivity in modern days.

That, on top of the awful park layout and lack of anything decent worth having rides wise (no, a terrible rusty arrow coaster is not a good investment, even in good condition) mean that this park is covered in red flags for even the most cash rich investor.

Justin2000

Mega Poster
I definitely understand the argument regarding Canada's Wonderland, but there are tons of Americans that go to Niagara and never bother to take the jaunt up to Toronto. Niagara is the destination. The bigger challenge in my view is not so much competition from Canada's Wonderland, but simply the fact that the park is on the Canadian side of Niagara so Americans are less likely to go. However, with the right operator and promotion, I feel like this park could be pretty viable.

If the park is purchased by a park operator, the candidate that sticks out to me is Herschend. They are very good at operating parks in major tourist destinations, they have experience with animal care, and they already have a presence in Canada so it wouldn't be a terribly new venture. And considering their purchase of Kentucky Kingdom, they clearly aren't too afraid of nearby competition.

Herschend isn't good at parks apart from Silver Dollar City and Dollywood

Look at Wild Adventures pre them and post them.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Herschend isn't good at parks apart from Silver Dollar City and Dollywood

Look at Wild Adventures pre them and post them.
Well, I did specify that they are good at operating parks in tourist destinations, so Silver Dollar City and Dollywood are the parks that apply. Nevertheless, I've been to Wild Adventures pre and post-Herschend purchase and don't really see an issue. It's certainly not Silver Dollar City or Dollywood, but it never was nor does it need to be. It serves its purpose for the market it's in.

Regardless of opinions on Wild Adventures or Herschend, the three reasons I gave for believing Herschend might be interested in purchasing the park are still valid. They are likely to see an opportunity given the tourism of Niagara and the nature of the property is more in their wheelhouse than many other potential buyers.

Christian

Hyper Poster
A major factor for any investor, even ones with a history of dealing with animal care, will be the animals themselves. Marine animals, captive orcas and dolphins especially, are pretty controversial to be kept in captivity in modern days.

That, on top of the awful park layout and lack of anything decent worth having rides wise (no, a terrible rusty arrow coaster is not a good investment, even in good condition) mean that this park is covered in red flags for even the most cash rich investor.

The animals aren't an issue. I dont think anyone would buy the park and keep the animals. The whales would probably all be sold to China or some other place where keeping them isn't frowned upon. The sea lions and the other animals would probably just be moved to a zoo in North America, I dont think it will be a an issue to find homes to them. I could even see the deer going to a hunting ground or get slaughtered.

Peet

Giga Poster
There is the small matter of Kiska, the 44-year-old orca who may not survive transportation; any new owners would have little choice but to let her live out her days in her current location.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
The bellwether has rung for Mainland at long last it seems, as Kiska - known as "the world's loneliest orca" and the subject of decades worth of animal rights protests - has finally passed away. Rest in peace, you're in a better place now, Kiska.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-worlds-loneliest-orca-who-29425806

On the other hand, they've recently relocated their walrus Smooshi and her calf out to SeaWorld Abu Dhabi after also having been at the center of an animal rights storm; https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/...n-the-way-to-abu-dhabi-phil-demers-1.19314884