What's new

Marineland of Canada (may) be closing/sold

ricklap77

Roller Poster
I am sure some company will find a way to either keep them or send them to other parks. The potential for developing Marineland is huge.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
That is bad news if true. The park was supposed to be sold to a major park operator.
It was pretty clear no one wanted it.

This isn't a surprise, I've been saying for over a decade that I'm surprised every year it reopens, especially post pandemic. That said, losing Dragon Mountain hurts a great deal. Still probably the best Arrow Looper I've done.

ricklap77

Roller Poster
It was pretty clear no one wanted it.

This isn't a surprise, I've been saying for over a decade that I'm surprised every year it reopens, especially post pandemic. That said, losing Dragon Mountain hurts a great deal. Still probably the best Arrow Looper I've done.
Yes losing Dragon Mountain is a shame. It is impossible to relocate since it is one of the most terrain and custom coasters ever built.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
While obviously the world is better without a park that mistreats their animals, I’m pretty sad that Dragon Mountain is finally kicking the bucket, especially so soon after I rode it and loved it. I’m glad I rode it at all, but man. That thing was probably the funniest coaster to ever exist.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Park has pounced and denied the rumors… again; https://www.wellandtribune.ca/news/...cle_21c734c5-f0d6-542f-a3ce-d4f3a577b275.html

Since I've last posted in the thread, I went to dinner in June with reps from the real estate developer most interested in the land. This was following a visit in May in which I went to check the park out for the first time in a decade. Very nice evening and venue in St Catharines, was more or less a consultant.

Marineland is an extremely complex situation. Depending on where you hear it from the park is either near death or could run indefinitely; literally either could happen at any time. In a nutshell the actual family is no longer associated with the park's ownership and a shell management runs it under their name. The kids are distanced and indifferent about the park's operations and not really pushy about selling it right now, but the lawyer has other ideas. It's also in the grandmother's will that it remains an animal park, and nobody seems keen to contradict it right now. In other words, the park is very much in equilibrium and there's a lot of miscommunication between parties.

There is a lot of interest across the board and politicians in keeping a theme park and redeveloping the excess land, although there's been zero motion on either matter. Nobody's yet to make a sale, nobody is yet to organize a team. There's an emphasis on keeping as much of the natural environment as possible. I recommended bringing in another party to help redevelop and operate the park with some funding provided, but not necessarily own it. It's not a bid that any current North American theme park operators would be likely to accept, but it's the most viable option as the interested party has no theme park experience.

The "Marineland is closing" report and denial is literally an annual tradition nowadays, as was the case this weekend… another year, perhaps. For now, there remains zero movement.

Last edited:

Esther7

Roller Poster
Park has pounced and denied the rumors… again; https://www.wellandtribune.ca/news/...cle_21c734c5-f0d6-542f-a3ce-d4f3a577b275.html

Since I've last posted in the thread, I went to dinner in June with reps from the real estate developer most interested in the land. This was following a visit in May in which I went to check the park out for the first time in a decade. Very nice evening and venue in St Catharines, was more or less a consultant.

Marineland is an extremely complex situation. Depending on where you hear it from the park is either near death or could run indefinitely; literally either could happen at any time. In a nutshell the actual family is no longer associated with the park's ownership and a shell management runs it under their name. The kids are distanced and indifferent about the park's operations and not really pushy about selling it right now, but the lawyer has other ideas. It's also in the grandmother's will that it remains an animal park, and nobody seems keen to contradict it right now. In other words, the park is very much in equilibrium and there's a lot of miscommunication between parties.

There is a lot of interest across the board and politicians in keeping a theme park and redeveloping the excess land, although there's been zero motion on either matter. Nobody's yet to make a sale, nobody is yet to organize a team. There's an emphasis on keeping as much of the natural environment as possible. I recommended bringing in another party to help redevelop and operate the park with some funding provided, but not necessarily own it. It's not a bid that any current North American theme park operators would be likely to accept, but it's the most viable option as the interested party has no theme park experience.

The "Marineland is closing" report and denial is literally an annual tradition nowadays, as was the case this weekend… another year, perhaps. For now, there remains zero movement.
That's good news. I hope they finally open the park this summer, we had planned to visit it during our road trip, and I'd love to try Dragon Mountain.🤞🏼

InvertsAreMyJam

Roller Poster
I honestly don’t care how unique Dragon Mountain is. I’m an animal lover, first and foremost. And the very idea of supporting such an animal abusing park disgusts me. At least SeaWorld makes an effort to care for their animals. This park does not. Never in a million years would I go there.

ricklap77

Roller Poster
Their website has no 2024 schedule posted nor ticket sales so it makes one wonder if the park is in the middle of finilising its sale to a new operator since we know it's been put for sale a few months back.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Their website has no 2024 schedule posted nor ticket sales so it makes one wonder if the park is in the middle of finilising its sale to a new operator since we know it's been put for sale a few months back.
Marineland typically releases their schedule a lot later than other parks for whatever reason. Am sure I'll be echoing these comments this time next year 🤣

Fiender

Roller Poster
“Owners have not been revealed yet”
Thoroughly doubt this is actually what happened but i think it would be very interesting to see what would happen to this park one of the big chains acquired it. United Parks, Parques Reunidos, ect.
Not being an industry expert, it feels weird to me that the buyer hasn't been announced. Worrying, even.

And Parques would be better than the Holers of course but my hopes wouldn't be terribly high that the park would become a destination, or worthy competition to Wonderland.

Reactions: JMW

InvertsAreMyJam

Roller Poster
“Owners have not been revealed yet”
Thoroughly doubt this is actually what happened but i think it would be very interesting to see what would happen to this park one of the big chains acquired it. United Parks, Parques Reunidos, ect.
I don’t really care who buys it, as long as they can start treating the animals better and make it stop being a dump.