What's new

Manta- B&M Flyer for SWO opening May 22

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I hope its not like Air, because i can just go 30 mins for that. However this ride is looking really good, and by that ad it looks even better!

Unfortunatly, it opens a month after i go

Funky Monk

Roller Poster
It really does look incredible. Hopefully I'll be back over there sometime in the next few years, it all depends on how much money my family has. It certainly looks better that HRRR. Obviously they're two totally different rides, but just looking at them I'd chose to ride this.

robbalvey

Roller Poster
Hey everyone!

We have some exciting photos to share with all of you! Today we were allowed to get backstage and up close with Manta to check out the progress on the rides theming, station, and get some new angles that haven't been seen before.

I'm sure by now you all know that Manta is Sea World Orlando's new B&M flying coaster that is scheduled to open at the end of May, 2009. Got it? Good! Check out the photos...

manta_021309_53.jpg

For today's Manta construction tour we would be considered "Authorized personnel!"

manta_021309_01.jpg

Here we are looking up at the first drop. This is an important part of the ride therefore it comes first.

manta_021309_02.jpg

Today we bring you some never before seen angles of Manta.

manta_021309_03.jpg

Here's a good shot of the "pretzel loop" which is guaranteed to make you hungry for some German yum-yums.

manta_021309_04.jpg

Zero-Gees...through the trees!

manta_021309_05.jpg

The mid course brake has a giant "A" for "Alvey."

manta_021309_06.jpg

This is the "Wing Dip" part of the ride where the train will close to the water and a simulated splash will be created towards the crowd.

manta_021309_07.jpg

This little guys simulates the "reach envelope" the riders and the train has before smacking into something. As you can see there is plenty of room!

manta_021309_08.jpg

Another look at this because...well, just because!

manta_021309_09.jpg

There has been a ton of work on the theming and the station this past week.

manta_021309_10.jpg

This lone island of palm trees kind of looks like something out of Seuss Landing for the moment!

manta_021309_11.jpg

Behold the mighty "Pretzel Loop!"

manta_021309_12.jpg

No, these are not alien artifacts they will eventually grow into rocks that will be part of the rides theming!

manta_021309_13.jpg

Once again more reach envelope testing to make sure your pretty arms and legs will be nice and safe!

manta_021309_15.jpg

Aha! Something every ride needs...that's right...a LADDER!!!

manta_021309_14.jpg

No, silly! It needs an entrance sign!

manta_021309_16.jpg

Robb: "Why do I have a flag growing out of my helmet?"<br>
Bryan: "Do I look like an arm rest?"<br>
Reed: "I don't know these two people."

manta_021309_17.jpg

The front section of the ride still has a long ways to go but it's looking GREAT! I'm assuming most of what you're looking at will be filled in with water.

manta_021309_18.jpg

More work being done on the rides entrance area.

manta_021309_19.jpg

Manta is really going to change the front of the park and it should be spectacular to see when you walk in!

manta_021309_20.jpg

Someday guys, you will be underwater!

manta_021309_21.jpg

Now just imagine this...but the ride is open!

manta_021309_22.jpg

Wow! This is going to be quite the impressive station.

manta_021309_23.jpg

I'm assuming this will be the exit area with the onride photo and other Manta-like goodies to buy.

manta_021309_24.jpg

Close up station shot!!!

manta_021309_26.jpg

Lots of criss-cross is good!

manta_021309_25.jpg

Looks like some speakers being installed on the lift...maybe for the rides theming?

manta_021309_27.jpg

Lots of blue track everywhere!

manta_021309_28.jpg

Rocks and other like substances are being added.

manta_021309_29.jpg

Check out our sexy hard hat crew...wait, what is going on here?

manta_021309_30.jpg

Robb! DO NOT EAT BRYAN! YOU ARE NOT A ZOMBIE!!!

manta_021309_31.jpg

Once again, Mr. First Drop makes an appearance.

manta_021309_32.jpg

And the pretzel loop is looking very pretzely!

manta_021309_33.jpg

More track closeups!

manta_021309_35.jpg

Wow! Thems are some sexy curves!

manta_021309_37.jpg

Mega super happy Zero Gee's!

manta_021309_40.jpg

For you weld enthusiasts...here you go!

manta_021309_39.jpg

This area here I'm pretty sure will be filled in with water...and get ready for your onride photo!

manta_021309_43.jpg

Hmm...do you notice anything on those rocks?

manta_021309_42.jpg

HIDDEN MANTA RAY!!!

manta_021309_41.jpg

Another cool shot of the pretzel loop.

manta_021309_44.jpg

It's like looking at the Los Angeles freeway system!

manta_021309_45.jpg

Here again is a good look at the station. It's going to be massive!

manta_021309_46.jpg

When you're at the top you'll be looking 14 stories straight down!

manta_021309_47.jpg

Hey sexy rebar rock...wanna spend the night in a cheap motel?

manta_021309_48.jpg

Let's have another look at this wing dip area. The train is going to fly through this part and it will look like the Manta Ray is scooping up water towards the crowd.

manta_021309_49.jpg

EXTREME BANKING!!!

manta_021309_50.jpg

Here you can see some of the infrastructure. Soon this will all be hidden away!

manta_021309_51.jpg

Another look at the reach envelope testing for the wing dip.

manta_021309_52.jpg

These guys are laying the pipes for what I am assuming will pump water into this area and create the huge splash!

manta_021309_54.jpg

Just in case you needed another view of the pretzel loop...

manta_021309_55.jpg

This S-curve/zero g combo should be fantastic!

manta_021309_56.jpg

Seriously, can you ever have too many pretzel loop photos?

manta_021309_57.jpg

Here you can see the entrance into the mid-course brake.

manta_021309_58.jpg

"Original Pig Sock"....I just thought this thing was awesome!

manta_021309_59.jpg

There should be NO QUESTION as to what kind of food you'll get here! =)

manta_021309_61.jpg

From the Sky Tower, you can see the entire layout of Manta!

manta_021309_60.jpg

Birds eye view of the pretzel loop.

manta_021309_62.jpg

Overview of the wing dip.

manta_021309_67.jpg

"...yes we wore our hard hats on the Sky Tower to be extra safe!"

Thank you to Sea World for allowing us to get backstage and share these photos with the world! See you in May 2009 for Manta's opening!

--Robb

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Great photos & report Robb. I can't wait to get down to Orlando to ride this baby. It'll be awesome to have a flyer break into my Top 10!

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Whoa, giant update.
Great pictures.. really enjoyed going through them. I think I've been following this one extra closely since I'll be working around it this summer, but it just looks like a fantastic ride in general. I wasn't too thrilled about the layout initially, but I think the theming will really turn it into something spectacular. Can't wait to ride it...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I love the update Robb. It really shows how much they've been working on the station and queue. It definitely looks a lot different! Hopefully I can get down there next year and ride this.

I'm having trouble seeing how the wing dip will work. Is the wing going to go into that little cement canyon or is there going to be more water above that?

robbalvey

Roller Poster
rollerdude said:
I'm having trouble seeing how the wing dip will work. Is the wing going to go into that little cement canyon or is there going to be more water above that?
I'm pretty sure that little cement canyon is where the "Simulated Splash" is going to be. So when the train comes around that curve a giant splash will be created towards the guests.

It's not like SheiKra where the train actually dips into the water.

--Robb

Snoo

The Legend
That explains a lot.

I was thinking it wouldn't actually dip into the water.. as it just doesn't seem set up to pull that off.

Ali

Mega Poster
Great photo update Robb. I'm loving the look of the pretzel loop. Hopefully get to ride this in 2010!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The aquarium is huge & the station is just a (smaller) portion of the building.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I just found out I'll be going on a special tour of Seaworld (an ECO Tour, I think) in June, thanks to a thing I am doing called SLU. I should be able to go on Manta with no line whatsoever besides the other people in the tour. :--D

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
B&M has been very intricate with their zero cars this past year. Those are gorgeous.

Pretty soon, water dummies are going to have individual faces on them...

Lofty

CF Legend
The station and queue looks amazing, I cannot wait till its totally finished and the waterfalls and everything else is working!

jokerman

Giga Poster
Stunning. That is going to be absolutely beautiful. The zero car will look fantastic once it starts flying through the air. And the tanks look good to, the queueline will be great in itself.