What's new

Loudon Castle to close for good

Martyn B

CF Legend
Thing is, that Gold Rush cred had a major refurb before they installed it in 2010, so the condition must have been decent back then.

Each of them 3 major rides would easily compliment the likes of Lightwater, Pleasurewood Hills and Pleasure Island.

gunmonkey

Roller Poster
Jake said:
Actually, didn't this THING come from Lightwater in the first place? Or was it FL?

P1130661.jpg

I too remember this from Dreamland, it originally had space ships that would rotate and rise up ( like Windy Castle at Paultons) Picture courtesy of savedreamland.co.uk

im1.jpg

LG95

Roller Poster
Oooh I love a bit of reminiscing. :p

The ride was originally located at Slagharren in the Netherlands where it operated next to a clone which is still there to this day.

When Slagharen were done with it, it moved over to the Bemboms sister park Dreamland in Margate where it operated as both the orbiter, and later the heatwave (chairswing version)

Once Dreamland was finished in 1995, it was sent off to Lightwater for a few years.

Its final resting home being Loundon Castle as the plough.

The shot tower should actually be in fairly good condition seeing as I believe it was first installed at Pleasureland in the early 2000's. The 4 man bob should also be in good nick as like said, it received a major refurb before coming to Loundon. Used to be at Alton Towers in the 80s I believe.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Really surprised that they can't shift Twist n' Shout! I absolutely love Scorpion at BGT but I guess it's quite high maintenance for it's size. Really hope they'll be an update on this soon.

I also agree that it seems fishy that ride dealers wouldn't safely pack their rides up to keep them from the elements....maybe they're they're just reluctant to clear the park.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
marc said:
Twist and shout runs nothing like scorpion, I was so disappointed.

Really? Argh noo. :(

Is that because Scorpion has been very well cared-for in comparison? Or maybe climate? Shame though, apart from the slightly sharp brakes it's such a good little ride!

marc

CF Legend
I think it was down to the care and maintenance of it tbh.

Tbh 5 years ago scorpion was really good, 2 years ago it felt a lot slower.

Lofty

CF Legend
Scorpion was great this year. It was a real good surprise for Me & Maddie we both absolutely loved it.

marc

CF Legend
I love scorpion as well, think we rode it about 15 times as it was walk on whilst waiting for the Halloween event.

When we went to the Scotland live we also re rode twist and shout a lot as it was walk on.

LG95

Roller Poster
Am I right in thinking Scorpion has over shoulder restraints as apposed to Twist which has lapbars?
If so, could this possibly differ the experience?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^No worries! Its a great little coaster, if a little rough, with pint - sized thrills, and of course the fact it's a classic, and the only *consistently* operating example in the world.

Yeah, the loop with lap bars is awesome...but the roughness detracts from it.

I'm surprised that PL or another park hasn't snapped this one up! Such an awesome little coaster with a small footprint. RIP. I assume now it will never operate again, but the coaster truly has played a prominent part in British Theme Park History.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Does anyone know how much they were/are asking for it?

I think too many of us just assume that because a park is closed, some other park are going to somehow get a coaster for a cup of tea and a handshake. Surely if the owners can't get something resembling a decent price, which smaller parks probably can't afford, it would be more financially viable to sell it as scrap? There's a lot of metal in these things.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The ad is HERE but there's no price. The guys that own all them rides are traders, so they're not going to let them go for nothing.

Perhaps they're keeping them built up so any potential buyer can see them in action?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
sparky2u said:
I'll like to see this ride be returned to Dreamland in Margate:

6889398669_ce64ee943e_z.jpg

Yes! and Twist and Shout -although it was only there for two seasons, the very similar looping star model was present in Margate for quite some time! (1981-1994) They're not as old as the some of the other rides being preserved, but I still think both of these rides deserve to be in the line up!