What's new

Lost Island Theme Park | Iowa | 2022 (Kanonen relocation)

ISUweatherman

Roller Poster
Took some updated photos this weekend!

Attachments

• Resized_20210313_143123_wm (3).jpg
    Resized_20210313_143123_wm (3).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_4299_wm (2).jpg
    IMG_4299_wm (2).jpg
    131 KB · Views: 151
  • Resized_20210313_141404_wm (1).jpg
    Resized_20210313_141404_wm (1).jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Resized_20210313_143027_wm (1).jpg
    Resized_20210313_143027_wm (1).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Resized_20210313_141011_wm (1).jpg
    Resized_20210313_141011_wm (1).jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Resized_20210313_140302(0)_wm (1).jpg
    Resized_20210313_140302(0)_wm (1).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Resized_20210313_141356_wm (1).jpg
    Resized_20210313_141356_wm (1).jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Resized_20210313_141740_wm (1).jpg
    Resized_20210313_141740_wm (1).jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Resized_20210313_141735_wm (1).jpg
    Resized_20210313_141735_wm (1).jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 165

Twisterfan1995

Roller Poster
Took some updated photos this weekend!
Thanks for the updates!

Looks like some of the Theming is now visible on the building architecture and other structures, including the buildings on the fourth photo resembling the vaguely Asian-architecture shown in the "Water"-themed area of the the park:

LITP - Water Area.jpg

Also, it looks like that that large brown structure/façade in the second photo is the volcano depicted in the concept art: LITP  - Volcano Area.jpg

If that's the case, then they very well might be staying at mostly true to the themes shown in the concept art and site plan. Which makes me even more excited to see this place deliver on it. Would love it if they actually pull it off!

Twisterfan1995

Roller Poster
The ride appears to be fully complete now, is that the case? I really like the look of it actually, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.
Looks pretty close to it. And I'm with you on the green-on-green look, it's growing on me. If that area of the park is in fact a temple-ruins themed area than it will really pop and make much more sense as well.

emertens

Roller Poster
Oh my heavens! This park really is progressing quickly! I'm positive that we'll start seeing ride testing by the end of summer!

Twisterfan1995

Roller Poster
New aerial photos of the park's construction were posted on the Des Moines Register's website (courtesy of Reddit): Source ( Full Article Link here)

Compared to the original site plan from the groundbreaking press conference, it looks like the log flume and Kanonen have switched site locations, might be to add the ability for the park path to go under the coaster track.

The full article also has more details about the park's background and theming:

• Owners seem to think the waterpark maxed out its growth potential and were looking for ways to drive more traffic to the area
  • Heavy emphasis on theming and lore within the park and continuing the waterpark's polynesian/island theming, with area/land names corresponding to the concept art and having element/tribe theme in each:
    • Mura Fire Clan (Volcano theme) - dark ride and disko, top spin-like, and pendulum rides)
    • Yuta Earth Tribe (Temple theme )- Kanonen coaster , log flume
    • Awa Water Nomads (Water/Boat theme) - swinging ship, Ferris wheel, carousel, flying carousel-type ride
    • Udara Air Kingdom (Air/wind theme) - Ratanga Junction SLC, drop tower, sky-fly type ride
    • Tamariki Kids Area (fantasy/garden theme) - kiddie rides, samba balloon type ride, kiddie ferris wheel, kiddie coaster, playground
  • Adventureland (2hrs away in Des Moines) is taking the "rising tide lifts all boats" take on the park's construction, but it appears both they and Lost Island's waterpark have been collegial in the past and Lost Island thinks its offering a different enough experience from Adventureland
  • Bertch family (Lost Island owners) considered pulling the plug due to pandemic, but are optimistic 2022 will be post-covid enough
  • Waterloo-area tourism board estimates the park will generate $32-67 million annual economic impact depending on season length.

Last edited:

ISUweatherman

Roller Poster
New aerial photos of the park's construction were posted on the Des Moines Register's website (courtesy of Reddit): Source ( Full Article Link here)

Compared to the original site plan from the groundbreaking press conference, it looks like the log flume and Kanonen have switched site locations, might be to add the ability for the park path to go under the coaster track.

The full article also has more details about the park's background and theming:

• Owners seem to think the waterpark maxed out its growth potential and were looking for ways to drive more traffic to the area
  • Heavy emphasis on theming and lore within the park and continuing the waterpark's polynesian/island theming, with area/land names corresponding to the concept art and having element/tribe theme in each:
    • Mura Fire Clan (Volcano theme) - dark ride and disko, top spin-like, and pendulum rides)
    • Yuta Earth Tribe (Temple theme )- Kanonen coaster , log flume
    • Awa Water Nomads (Water/Boat theme) - swinging ship, Ferris wheel, carousel, flying carousel-type ride
    • Udara Air Kingdom (Air/wind theme) - Ratanga Junction SLC, drop tower, sky-fly type ride
    • Tamariki Kids Area (fantasy/garden theme) - kiddie rides, samba balloon type ride, kiddie ferris wheel, kiddie coaster, playground
  • Adventureland (2hrs away in Des Moines) is taking the "rising tide lifts all boats" take on the park's construction, but it appears both they and Lost Island's waterpark have been collegial in the past and Lost Island thinks its offering a different enough experience from Adventureland
  • Bertch family (Lost Island owners) considered pulling the plug due to pandemic, but are optimistic 2022 will be post-covid enough
  • Waterloo-area tourism board estimates the park will generate $32-67 million annual economic impact depending on season length.
I agree with Kanonen and Log flume changing locations!

Niles

Giga Poster
Some drone shots of the coasters and the site:
i63hqfvpi4171.jpg

a3hrsfvpi4171.jpg

pqfyjgvpi4171.jpg

92pcufvpi4171.jpg

Source: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1116053112168911/?refid=18&__tn__=C-R

hzkatz

Roller Poster
I suppose it makes sense, but it's funny to see the same supports on Kanonen before and after the top hat.
These supports spanned a river that ran through Liseberg - Could be cool if they put a path under it now!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Probably. I think it started life here as the Kanonen relocation was the most interesting bit of the park (not the SLC lol), but I think you're right that the focus is now slightly wider.

Moved!

emertens

Roller Poster
Wowwie! This is starting to look incredible! I mean you can really see the themeing taking shape on buildings and on some of the rides! This makes me so excited for the park! Granted, I am already incredibly excited! I just can't wait to see each area of the park take shape even further! I just also can't wait to see how the park expands! It looks like it has plenty of room for expansion and it looks like they have expansion plans built into the park, like how the site plan looks like they plan on adding a family coaster as well as a GCI in future years.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Are all the rides in the park brand new except for Kanonen and Cobra? Or are there some other relocated rides thrown in there?

I really hope this park pulls in the crowds because I really like the look of it. I believe I have mentioned this before I think it has a really well-balanced ride line-up imo.

Last edited: