What's new

Liseberg | Helix | Mack Megacoaster

andrus

Giga Poster
Wow! That thing is flying!! <3 :--D <3

As Del Piero mentioned Lisa at the Helix blog has promised us a real POV video later today! Hopefully everything goes as planned and we can enjoy the POV later this evening :)

There has been a lot of other things happening lately! Yesterday they installed the second train:
current_39.jpg

Source: Helix webcam, via TPR

So I guess they start two train testing now. Also there are some new pictures of the station from the Helix blog:
waiting.jpg

window.jpg

staff.jpg

front.jpg

A picture from a train in the workshop adjusting the wheel assemblies:
wheels.jpg

A second blog comment was posted regarding the power supply of Helix. A lot of thechnical stuff, so I recommend you go in and check it out yourself if your interested. But here's at least a picture of the restistance burning away exessive energy during brakeing and turning it into heat:
broms.jpg

There have also been a very interesting addition from Ann-Marie Pendrill, scientist at the University of Lund. Shes's posted some graphs over the vertical g-forces of Helix (as well as the correspondent height):
f0ea092f8a.jpg

Here with a chart corresponding to the elements:
helix-ov-facebook-small.png

Source: loefet, via TPR

Already now the ride is pushing 4-5 g's trhough the entry and exit of the top hat! The hills also seem to produce some significant negatives, and the heart-line roll seem to deliver! And this is with an unloaded train, first days of testing, in chilly weather... :--D

Ann-Marie also posted a comment regarding the brakes, which will be smoother than Kanonen's at only 0.6 g's, since Helix will use a different metal alloy. And she also stated that the speed of the train as it hits the brakes will be around 55km/h; i.e. plenty of speed left (great news for the heart-line inversion)! Here's a picture:
d925096f9f.jpg

For those of you interested in the physics behind the ride I recommend you to visist the webpage of Lunds University:
http://tivoli.fysik.org/liseberg/attraktioner/helix/kraft
http://tivoli.fysik.org/liseberg/attraktioner/helix/energiomvandlingar/broms

As can be seen in the train installation picture above, the curving net of the facade has been installed. As well as sedum has been planted on the roof. Here's another pic:
current_40.jpg

Source: loefet, via TPR

Oh! And CEO Andreas Andersen has been testing the ride himself (the guy on the right):
helixrun.jpg

He was very pleased, he stated. And he was especially surpriced with the dive element entering the helix! :) Here's the blog post: http://www.lisebergblogg.se/andreas/runaway-bride/

I'll round off by saying that I've been invited to the press day on the behalf of Coaster Force. Do you have any questions that you want to have answered you can write them down here! I'll try to get as many interviews down as possible, but I can't promise you that I get all the questions answered. What I can promise you though is that there will be a heck load of pictures, videos and a throughly written report afterwards!

So excited now!! :--D

Edit: there it is, the POV! Thanks for posting it :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C54iZ0l_4JM[/youtube]

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Andrus, that is an absolutely brilliant post. I knew most of it but hadn't seen the G graphs, that is really interesting.

Thanks for the info, and enjoy press day, you lucky son of a gun!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
The whole coaster looks amazing, the POV shows the incredible layout! The trains look awesome and the restraints look good. One day hopefully I'll get to ride it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm current going full Jarrett, as Darren can confirm. Ermagherd!

SP.jpg

So far I only have one minor issue, which is the exit of the heartline looks a tad slow.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I like the way it goes through and interacts and the different terrain, which at the moment is mud, rocks and trees but it still looks good.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow! Helix looks fantastic! Potential number 1 coaster.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
It’s been a long time since I’ve been actually impressed by a new roller coaster, this generally looks incredible. Hey have done what John Wardley once said, it’s not about building the biggest or fastest or recording breaking stuff. They have gone for building the best. The pacing is faultless, didn’t require 3 launches like Cheetah Hunt and the final inversion as a nice finish to settle the ride down. Queue reminds of a modern day Oblivion; although minimalistic it looks great and really fits in well with the ride. The soundtrack I didn’t like on its own but using it on the video I think it will go nicely around the area. The terrain should look much neater soon as it needs to grow in (trees, grass, etc...). I did not have a clue Liseberg existed until Helix was announced and I’m so desperate to go now just for this one ride!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
andrus said:

This looks like a call center I used to work in. Bleak station aside, it's looking amazing! That POV has got me all excited <3 hurry up July!

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
What an awesome looking ride. I would LOVE to see a Night-time POV after seeing the off-ride testing at night.

The whole coaster is absolutely unreal looking. Fantastic pacing and this would make me take my first trip overseas for a coaster. Seriously.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
haha Wow. You can't get 'it all' from a POV but you can certainly get a good feel. Looks really really amazing. Trip for next year ATTACKHAMMER? ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ian said:
Wow! Helix looks fantastic! Potential number 1 coaster.

100% what I thought when watching the pov, just seems like a ride I'll want to keep riding and riding.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
That looks impressive. I've just gone from "that looks like it could be fun in the same way that Blue Fire was fun, let's wait and see" to "OMG why isn't it July already?" in the space of a two minute video. Here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

ATTACKHAMMER said:
One day hopefully I'll get to ride it.
I'm sure you will. Liseberg is apparently fairly easy to get to by public transport, so if the worst comes to the worst I'm fairly sure you'll be able to plan your own trip at some point if it comes down to it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
This looks absolutely fantastic...BUT I think it is a bit misleading based on the camera being on the front of the train, rather than where one sits. I think the speed is a little distorted by this, but, I am beyond excited to hear reviews of it. I'm planning a trip for 2016 to Germany and Sweden, and this is definitely on the must list.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Paint me freaking impressed!

It's not often that you follow a coaster for so long and then, when an onride is released, you're just in complete awe and most impressive of all, satisfied! - Liseberg and Mack looks to have created a ride that will be referred to for decades to come, when talking significant roller coasters!

And those lights... <3

Can't wait to ride it in less than a week on the press day!