What's new

Liseberg | Helix | Mack Megacoaster

spicy

Giga Poster
Literally blown away at how good this thing looks, incredible stuff like cheetah hunt on steroids.

My only personal gripe is the pretzel loop (if that's what it is) it almost gets in the way.

andrus

Giga Poster
Radaxian said:
This looks like a call center I used to work in. Bleak station aside, it's looking amazing!
Agreed, I think the station and queue area will be the weak point of this ride (which is often the case with Liseberg). But apart from that, it all looks amazing!!

A couple of new videos have been posted on the blog. First of another Helix by night:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wLszbZiyTE[/youtube]

And secondly, we got a video of the queue area:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPPOsVXTuM[/youtube]

scw55

Hyper Poster
Launched coasters certainly look impressive when they interact with the scenery and terrain.
(I haven't ridden a coaster)
Most POV of coasters bore me because I am not experiencing the forces. But that POV I found riveting because the layout is so interesting. I love coasters that utilise the terrain.
I didn't mind the music at all because, well, Sweden. They like that electronic stuff so I thought it was appropriate. I would find it weird if they chose a pretentious metal track or atmospheric ambience instead.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Loving the night videos. I'm not sure what time we will be leaving on the live but I'm hoping we can get a night ride in whilst there.

peep

CF Legend
This looks incredible! Really looking forward to trying this out in July. I love that the trains have lights on them <3

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
This coaster is truly beautiful and incredible!

IaLG69W.gif

EthC

Mega Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvA0aVnoJ_s[/youtube]

NIGHT POV!!

I love the pacing and just everything about it!!! <3

Edited to embed video. - ECG

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
^ Woah! Such a long coaster with a perfect pace indeed! I like how the camera is under the train and close to the track. Its like putting a camera in a woman's underwear! :lol:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^^hanks for posting.

The ride is getting faster, the original POV took 1:19 from the beginning circle at the first drop to the first fin brake, the night vid ran it in 1:16.
It looks like the 2nd launch has been increased slightly as it definitely goes through from 2nd launch to brake faster than the day vid. Can't see much difference before the 2nd launch.

So yeah, it's getting better and there are still another 5 days of testing and tweaking to go :)

They have also announced that the height limit is 1.3m, and 1.5m in the back row, this is due to being larger seats.

andrus

Giga Poster
Great! :) I was really impressed with the night time POV as well; not only does the second launch look faster, the final heart line is definitely taken at a faster speed too! :--D

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Exactly Andrus. The heartline being a little slow was really the only minor issue I had with the initial POV.
Blue fire's gives great hang followed by a forcefulness whipping you through the 2nd half. Hopefully this will do the same.
God knows how much better they can tweak it for opening.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Liseberg's CEO Andreas Andersen talks about Helix.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty32Iv6VUsI[/youtube]

andrus

Giga Poster
DelPiero said:
The heartline being a little slow was really the only minor issue I had with the initial POV.
Blue fire's gives great hang followed by a forcefulness whipping you through the 2nd half. Hopefully this will do the same.
Andreas Andersen said that the heart line will be almost identical to the one on Blue Fire, only a tad bit slower. I don't know what that mean; if it's still the same excellent "throw-you-out-of-your-seat" feeling, or if it'll be a slower hang time experience. But I can tell you tomorrow :)

I'll take the opportunity to remind you all that if you got questions for the media day; post them here! I'll do my best to get them answered tomorrow! :)

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Helix has really surprised me I thought I would hate it but seems since seeing the POV I want to go to liseberg to ride may be everyone's favourite ride its set to be mine hopefully once I have the all clear ill book a holiday over there.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Andrus, can you please ask two questions for me? one of which will probably be asked by someone else straight away but hey ho;

1 - what attracted you to use Mack for Helix? Was it a previous installation or knowledge of what they could potentially create?

2 - Do you believe that creating an amazing experience on a ride is more important than getting your name in the record books?

Also please tell them they are awesome and thanks for building this amazing coaster.

And of course have a brilliant time tomorrow :)

_koppen

Hyper Poster
^ I can answer those!

DelPiero said:
1 - what attracted you to use Mack for Helix? Was it a previous installation or knowledge of what they could potentially create?

They were very impressed after riding Blue Fire ,and they wanted the same technology for their new ride. They liked how smooth it was, how comfortable & quiet the trains were as well as the lap bar only restraint.

DelPiero said:
2 - Do you believe that creating an amazing experience on a ride is more important than getting your name in the record books?

They have said that they were aiming at creating one of the worlds absolute best steel coasters from the start, the ride was never meant to be the tallest, fastest, steepest, most inversion etc- as they feel those gimmicks does not equal a world class ride.

(a 35 million USD budget definitely helps if you wanna build a top 10 coaster like this)!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Definitely much better to get those answers from you than from the park's CEO. :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I remember Andreas stating something similar to what Koppen said in a video at the beginning of the project, maybe the question should be rephrased.

2 - "As a CEO of an amusement park, visitor numbers will always play a key part in decision making. With your experience in designing and building Helix, do you believe the correct decision was made to create a world class coaster with no gimmicks and how do you envision visitor numbers to increase based on this decision?"

If you get this of course Andrus ;)