What's new

Liseberg Approved For €100m Grand Curiosa Hotel In 2023

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well doesn't that look wonderful? We recently stayed in their "Hotell Liseberg Heden" property and it was brilliant. Charming little [big] room, good food on at breakfast and great staff. Hopefully this new hotel improves on this even more. A view of Helix out the window? Might just beat Hotel Matamba, you know?

Liseberg is fab. <3

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This plays perfectly into that other thread and the CF article. Liseberg has built the coasters and attractions it could feasibly want for the foreseeable future. And so it seems like they want to find something else to spend money on. Like an RCT park you've got going for so long that you've got more money than you know what to do with.
"Hmm... the park is full, but so is the vault, and we keep earning new bags of money. What should we do?"
"What about building a hotel?"
"A hotel? Sure, we can spend ...lessee... a hundred million sounds nice?"
"Kronor?"
"Nah, Euro. Leaves some space in the vault. It'll fill up back again before you know."

Because I always like to do a TusenFryd comparison when talking about Liseberg (old habits die hard): I'm pretty sure €100 million is more money than has been spent on TusenFryd in total. And this investment comes just a year after a B&M Dive Machine and that whooping big family dark ride. Where does Liseberg get all that money?

Leon

Roller Poster
This plays perfectly into that other thread and the CF article. Liseberg has built the coasters and attractions it could feasibly want for the foreseeable future. And so it seems like they want to find something else to spend money on. Like an RCT park you've got going for so long that you've got more money than you know what to do with.
"Hmm... the park is full, but so is the vault, and we keep earning new bags of money. What should we do?"
"What about building a hotel?"
"A hotel? Sure, we can spend ...lessee... a hundred million sounds nice?"
"Kronor?"
"Nah, Euro. Leaves some space in the vault. It'll fill up back again before you know."

Because I always like to do a TusenFryd comparison when talking about Liseberg (old habits die hard): I'm pretty sure €100 million is more money than has been spent on TusenFryd in total. And this investment comes just a year after a B&M Dive Machine and that whooping big family dark ride. Where does Liseberg get all that money?
the chocolate wheels there so addictive ha ha

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Despite the setback of not being able to open this summer work Liseberg have started work on their new hotel which is phase 1 of their resort expansion; with phase 2 an adjoining water park.

On June 22, 2020 Swedish amusement parks were informed that they will not be allowed to open this summer. This has large consequences for the Swedish amusement park industry. Despite this, Liseberg is looking ahead. At the south end of the amusement park the new Grand Curiosa Hotel is rapidly taking shape. “In these tough times, it feels amazing to see this project come to life”, says Andreas Andersen, CEO and President of Liseberg.
Liseberg Grand Curiosa Hotel is part of Liseberg’s expansion project and is planned to open in 2023 celebrating the park’s centennial. The second part will be a year-round open, fully integrated, indoor waterpark. New renderings reveal the hotel’s logotype, and detailed images of the hotel façade. New drone footage over the building shows the outlines of the hotel.

2020 has so far been a tough year for the whole industry and for Liseberg. To see this project, that we have put so much time and effort into, come to life – it feels nothing short of amazing. As the construction continues it becomes more and more tangible and is a testament to the fact, that we believe in the future of the industry post-Covid”, says Andreas Andersen, CEO & President at Liseberg.

The hotel will be a highly themed family hotel, inspired by the history of Gothenburg and the West Swedish East India Trading Company, in combination with Liseberg’s own unique DNA. Among carousels and curiosities both young and old discoverers can experience new adventures every day. The hotel will include 457 family rooms, a restaurant with a fully functional merry-go-round from 1923, a rooftop bistro with a view of the amusement park and several bars.Liseberg Grand Curiosa Hotel is estimated to host over 800 000 guests per year and is a vital part of Liseberg’s future plans towards becoming a year-round experience.
Source

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Construction for Liseberg's water park has also now started. Along with new concept arts the park has also revealed it will be called Oceana and is set to open 2024.

IMG_20201112_103056.jpg
IMG_20201112_103054.jpg
IMG_20201112_105343.jpg
IMG_20201112_103052.jpg
IMG_20201112_103049.jpg

Press release from the construction firm.
NCC and Liseberg amusement park have signed a contract for the construction of a new water park. The assignment is through the development company Liseberg Skår AB and the order value is approximately SEK 700 million.

The assignment is part of NCC’s partnering agreement with Liseberg, which began in 2018. Around one year ago, construction started of Liseberg Grand Curiosa Hotel, the first part of Liseberg’s expansion plans for a destination hotel and water park. Now construction of the water park, Oceana, is also underway.

“It will be a wonderful water park experience, completely different from what’s currently on the market in Scandinavia. It’s fantastic to be able to offer these types of experiences indoors, thus adapting them to our Swedish climate,” says Thomas Sjöstrand, CEO of Liseberg’s Jubilee Project.

Oceana will be approximately 13,600 square meters, with a bathing area of approximately 6,000 square meters indoors and 4,000 square meters outdoors. Oceana will have 14 rides, including four large water attractions, a wave pool, a lazy river and water activities for different ages. The park will have a maximum capacity of 1,750 people.

The building will also include a café, shop, restaurant, dressing rooms and reception, and feature a bathing level, a basement level and a 40-meter tower for the four largest attractions.

“This water park will be a fantastic addition to Gothenburg’s offering of attractions, and it’s very gratifying that we can now start construction. NCC’s swim center expertise and a close partnering arrangement with Liseberg played a key role in this complex project. And Liseberg’s commitment to the project, despite the difficult times for the tourism industry, has been a great source of optimism for a brighter future,” says Henrik Landelius, Business Area Manager of NCC Building Sweden.

Construction of the water park will begin immediately and it is expected to be completed in 2024.
Source

Christian

Hyper Poster
It depends on how you see it. We have seen so many renders from Liseberg that we have no idea what actually will be reality except for the now confirmed ones. We also know that Liseberg has sold some of the plots (in the top right corner) to Volvo so that they can build an exhibit. What I cant seem to find is if there will be a parking garage under the Volvo exhibit (as originally planned) or not. If they build a garage under it Liseberg can in the future expand further into the hotel parking lot. We also know that Liseberg are thinking of demolishing the industrial buildings that they have behind Balder to build something. Sadly they have confirmed that they cant build a large scale coaster next to the highway so the hyper that they were teasing a while back will not be happening. Their most recent fully developed sitewide idea is this one (they even got the Volvo building but no Valkyria):

Liseberg-hotel-waterpark-Volvo-expansion.jpg

We can see that they have drawn up a small park section with a star flyer on top of one of the buildings. I still find the whole idea pretty unlikely to happen in the near future. The hotel and waterpark will be a huge project and over the next decade we will probably see Liseberg doing small improvements to the dry park (maybe a smaller coaster and more modern flats) as well as further expanding their new waterpark based on attendance.

If I would place my bet to where the next large scale coaster will be I would say the garden at the front of the park. It is a really beautiful garden but a garden will never draw the crowds that a big coaster does. Plus that I doubt that garden enthusiast will pay admission to visit a garden inside an amusement park when there are plenty of free parks in Gothenburg. It just doesn't make sense to have it there.

cookie

Giga Poster
Weren't there rumours/plans that by 2023 they were looking to replace FlumeRide with a new water attraction, potentially a coaster? Or is that off the table?

Personally, I'd rather they tear out the rapids (it's really dull and you can squeeze in a large coaster there) than FlumeRide, but a modern flume would do well for the park.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Sadly they have confirmed that they cant build a large scale coaster next to the highway so the hyper that they were teasing a while back will not be happening.
Any idea why? One would think noise wouldn't be an issue, and that part of the park is the furthest away from the delicate eyes and ears of the neighbours as well. I thought that was why the garden was there, because they wouldn't be allowed to build anything bigger or noisier than a rhododendron in that part of the park.

Weren't there rumours/plans that by 2023 they were looking to replace FlumeRide with a new water attraction, potentially a coaster? Or is that off the table?

Personally, I'd rather they tear out the rapids (it's really dull and you can squeeze in a large coaster there) than FlumeRide, but a modern flume would do well for the park.
There were rumours of a replacement Flume ride for their anniversary and it was described as a similar inspiration to Chiapas

Christian

Hyper Poster
Any idea why? One would think noise wouldn't be an issue, and that part of the park is the furthest away from the delicate eyes and ears of the neighbours as well. I thought that was why the garden was there, because they wouldn't be allowed to build anything bigger or noisier than a rhododendron in that part of the park.

This is an extract from a quickly translated article (DN) from January this year:

"In early sketches of "Liseberg east" you can see how a large roller coaster out to the highway is drawn up. But if it is built, it will not be placed there. This is what project CEO Thomas Sjöstrand says:

- It can not be so close to traffic for environmental and safety reasons, so there must be buildings. But we get good surfaces that enable a roller coaster that goes over from the existing park into the new part. The upcoming water park can also be expanded there. We are now preparing for Liseberg's next 25-30 years. We simply become more fast-footed."

Christian

Hyper Poster
This is an extract from a quickly translated article (DN) from January this year:

"In early sketches of "Liseberg east" you can see how a large roller coaster out to the highway is drawn up. But if it is built, it will not be placed there. This is what project CEO Thomas Sjöstrand says:

- It can not be so close to traffic for environmental and safety reasons, so there must be buildings. But we get good surfaces that enable a roller coaster that goes over from the existing park into the new part. The upcoming water park can also be expanded there. We are now preparing for Liseberg's next 25-30 years. We simply become more fast footed"

To me this really doesn't make sense. It seems to be the ideal place to put the coaster and I dont understand either the enivormental or safety problems. They surely can find a way so that loose articles dont fly onto the highway. I also dont understand the environmental problems. I dont think that short time exposure to the highway will hurt the coaster riders. But if that's what the project CEO says then he surely knows something we dont. Probably he means that they will build offices right up to the highway and the coaster closer to the hotel. It would have been a fantastic opportunity to pull a Phantasialand with a coaster interacting with the hotel (maybe future expansion?).

The garden is a fitting place because they have a huge tram intersection right infront of it. That thing is really noisy. There is also a large museum (Universeum) that is pretty popular and pulls crowds. Surely a coaster will be noisy but if they properly fill it with sand and build in the drops then I dont think it will be more noisy then the trams.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Hotel is vertical with the roof structure going up now.
Bild00006.thumb.jpg.45cd10cec6e55cda55d4587c91fe45a3.jpg
Bild00011.thumb.jpg.c50b113e5ad3563181c553f1e7bf2d2d.jpg
Bild00010.thumb.jpg.55147f5fc6deefe4cf945fdb4529cd7c.jpg

Site preparations for the accompanying Oceana water park.
Bild00007.thumb.jpg.93e999bd92cd1e306c2fe48c611b17da.jpg

While the water park and hotel are built on the former car park; on the site of the former SAAB Factory Liseberg purchased to make this expansion possible (now demolished so work can begin) will be a new mutli storey car park and Volvo Museum/Visitor Experience.
Bild00008.thumb.jpg.43b46b8823d49346c3c4142192e65e8a-1.jpg

Source

Rupert

Mega Poster

Slides going in for the attached water park. Aesthetically it’s not great so far, with very chunky supports and it’s a minor thing but I’m surprised to see how misaligned all the slide ‘seams’ are… Looking at the renders above there will be foliage planted but not much more. I guess in a way though it doesn’t matter given the supports/whole exterior won’t be visible from within the slides or indoor part of the water park.