What's new

Lightwater Valley - Future?

Coaster

Mega Poster
Goddamn, why do you have to be such a twat? Its the ****ing BBC, not even people who are on everyday get it perfect. How would you do in the spot?
Difficult to say as I don't think I'd do it.

Hypothetically though if I was given the opportunity to talk about classic rides on the news I'd be saying how brilliant and well looked after they are.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster

Hypothetically though if I was given the opportunity to talk about classic rides on the news I'd be saying how brilliant and well looked after they are.

The discussion also mentioned CoasterForce, vlogging and lots of nostalgia to get people interested - causing overall positive responses from both hosts (one host enthusiastically beamed “I remember the Corkscrew!” and the other who initially claimed he couldn’t stand them said “I like them [conceptually] being scooby doo old rickety ones”).

I thought it was a really good bit of promo for the hobby - no need to dwell on the ‘not absolutely ideal’ bits. Plus… the Ultimate was probably borderline unsafe from jankiness (so I hear).

Good job, @Coaster Chall YouTube!

(……… Wicker Man rode tragically over the most recent fireworks weekend 🙈).

Last edited:

spud

Roller Poster
Fascinating insight here (albeit illegal?) of the abandoned Ultimate, Raptor Attack, Toad in the Hole and the Wave, uploaded just a few days back!
Although definitely trespass an amazing insight to the parks past attractions! they were brave to adventure down into the rat/raptor attack very creepy! Nice to see a lot of the toad hole workings all still there too, suprised the boat wasnt intombed in there too! Ultimates second half was looking in particularly bad state would certainly need a lot of retracking doing to it, from what I’ve heard in the past the Ultimate was expected to have needed a major refit around its 30th anyway and that was before it sat totally neglected For years, would surely cost millions now to bring it back to working order, it’s sad but I can see why the new owners have deemed it not worth it.

Overall very sad to see all the abandoned rides and What has happened to the park over the years. As a local lad I first visited the park in 2001 and the Ultimate was my first big coaster and the place in general is what has made me the enthusiast I am today. The place used to have so much charm, quirky rides (not necessarily good but unique) such as toad hole, the bat flyer, the wave on its own tucked in the trees, the rat ride of course a excellent theme and experience, and then daddy of them all the ultimate! All just replaced by unimaginative fairground tat, the character of what the park was started dying long ago and now we have the last piece of it going too.

In my opinion the ultimate was a great ride must have had 100’s of rides over the years, first half was just filler but that second half was absolutely bonkers and damn right insane, nothing else I have ever ridden matches it’s ferocity through those first few banked curves in the valley. Yes it was crazy rough and the track work/design/profile was something like someone would Build on rollercoaster tycoon who had no clue about coasters but that’s what some how for me made it good, absolutely wild! Very sad and nostalgic about its loss and personally feel its a big loss to the coaster community there won’t be a ride like it ever again, love it or hate it was a must ride, even if just the once haha.

as for the new direction of the park, I hope they can make something of the place, the New direction does seem to working out for them I feel, it’s certainly popular with young family’s where live in the locality and I would like to take my baby daughter one day. Hopefully it pays off and we can see some decent themed and thought out investments in the park in the future, would be a shame for the place to shutter completely and I wish the best for it.

in conclusion will always have fond memories of what once was and a shame what has happened to the place in the last 15 or so years I used the think the place had real potential with some big investment but alas that direction of the park did not work out.
RIP t’Ultimate

(ps sorry the essay of nostalgic rambling)

Coaster

Mega Poster
I thought it was a really good bit of promo for the hobby - no need to dwell on the ‘not absolutely ideal’ bits. Plus… the Ultimate was probably borderline unsafe from jankiness (so I hear).
I agree, it was cool to see an enthusiast on BBC promoting the industry and hobby.

I'm only raising that there is already a huge problem with the way that the media misreport routine stoppages as being "unsafe" and brand older rides as "unsafe." This damages parks massively, that's a hard fact. As enthusiasts, we should be aware of this issue, and work to dispel the misrepresentation if we want to see these classic rides stay and our parks be successful.

With that said, absolutely no ill intent meant; I wouldn't be brave enough to do a BBC interview, so congrats for it!

Last edited:

Stevewalsh1987

Roller Poster

Shows the state of the Ultimate.

Marsden10002

Roller Poster

Shows the state of the Ultimate.
Big shame it's ended up like that but I fear it's the end of LWV

I bloody well wouldn't say that as it's a lie. BPB wooden coasters are rough and uncomfortable for all but the most ardent of goons. Most GP come off them complaining (as do I). If they were looked after better they would run better and wouldn't bloody hurt as much and if that isn't possible then they should be retired whther they are legacy or not.

Peet

Giga Poster
Yeah but you don't ride roller coasters for the opportunity of a nice comfy sit-down do you 😅. I'd much rather ride a rough old barrel of laughs like the Ultimate or Grand National compared with something smooth and predictable like Nemesis Inferno or Galactica.

I said it about the Wild Mouse and I'll say it about The Ultimate - we'll never see another one like it again. The UK has lost its 2 most unique/unusual coasters and we'll be much poorer for it 🙁 (although in both cases it did always feel like it was only a matter of time!).

PS. congrats @Coaster Chall YouTube for going on BBC Breakfast, that's awesome and I hope you don't take any unkind words you read here to heart.

Coaster

Mega Poster
I bloody well wouldn't say that as it's a lie. BPB wooden coasters are rough and uncomfortable for all but the most ardent of goons. Most GP come off them complaining (as do I). If they were looked after better they would run better and wouldn't bloody hurt as much and if that isn't possible then they should be retired whther they are legacy or not.
Totally disagree, fair enough if you find them uncomfortable but they're maintained and looked after very well.

These rides are 80, 90, 100 years old, I'd be disappointed if they were glass smooth!

Most people - non enthusiasts - come off the PB wooden coasters grinning from ear to ear.

rob666

Hyper Poster
The woodies at Blackpool are being repaired and maintained this very week, like every closed season.
I ride the coasters there every month, and hear few complaints anymore...because the Mouse has gone, and the National has had lots of work done on it over the last two winters, and is not as rough as it was.
The Streak is really quite smooth.

I'll give you the Streak, I actually quite like, that but The Big Dipper and The Grand National ride awfully. Look its horses for courses and we don't all like the same rides but I will never admit that those two rides are well maintained as they are rough as hell. Yes they may do work on them but that doesn't change how they ride. From a rideability poiont of view I would suggest that the maintenance team on The Rollercoaster at Great Yarmouth do a far superior job.

Just becuase something is old and rare doesn't mean it's good.

I actually find it a shame for The Grand National as that should be a good ride, it has the potential and I recall riding it it in 2002 and actually enjoying it. Plus the Station building is lovely (especially when it's just been painted). Never liked The Big Dipper though.

To be honest I quite liked the Wild mouse as well.

Anyway this very much off the topic of this thread so lets agree to disagree.

chrisgeorgiou46

Roller Poster
I agree that The Grand National is unpredictable in a bad way. First time I went on it, it was rough but manageable and fun. I went on for round 2 and it was the worst / most painful experience I have ever had on a roller coaster. Part of the fun with old wooden roller coasters is how wild they can be, but I think The Grand National goes too far...
I had a great time on the other wooden coasters there though!

Never managed to go to Lightwater Valley but it was on my list due to The Ultimate. I'm sad I never got a chance. Out with the old, I guess... but I still miss Loggers :'((((

Coaster

Mega Poster
I'll give you the Streak, I actually quite like, that but The Big Dipper and The Grand National ride awfully. Look its horses for courses and we don't all like the same rides but I will never admit that those two rides are well maintained as they are rough as hell. Yes they may do work on them but that doesn't change how they ride. From a rideability poiont of view I would suggest that the maintenance team on The Rollercoaster at Great Yarmouth do a far superior job.

Just becuase something is old and rare doesn't mean it's good.

I actually find it a shame for The Grand National as that should be a good ride, it has the potential and I recall riding it it in 2002 and actually enjoying it. Plus the Station building is lovely (especially when it's just been painted). Never liked The Big Dipper though.

To be honest I quite liked the Wild mouse as well.

Anyway this very much off the topic of this thread so lets agree to disagree.
I think it often comes down to personal preference, personally the Grand National and Big Dipper are two of my favourite coasters ever, because of how much I enjoy them; the history and rarity adds to that, but even without that, I'd still rate them just as highly.

Absolutely love the Roller Coaster at GYPB too! I think it's a tamer ride by nature, so probably puts less stress on the track/trains, but agree it's looked after very well.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Grand National is the only coaster that has genuinely hurt me. That jolt at the bottom of one of the drops is/was evil! I felt that in my back for a while after riding.

I'm another one that never got on The Ultimate. I lived in York for a short while around 2016/2017 and planned to go at some point but we never got round to it. As a 30 year old gay man that hates being around children/families - I don't think there's any point in me visiting now!

Matt N

CF Legend
I never got on The Ultimate either, and when it operated, it was probably the most notable UK coaster I was missing from my count.

Based on my general preferences, I think I probably wouldn’t have liked it much, but it would still have been nice to have ridden it!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I ended up doing a day trip to LWV a few years back on a whim, just took a day off and drove up there. Thank goodness I did as I haven't been in the area since and would have missed out on the Ultimate. Tbh, it was a bit of a battering ram, I came off with a sore knee and the kid in front really whacked his head and had a big bump.
Realistically the park is probably better run as a young family place, especially considering the safety record prior to the rebrand. Leave the thrill stuff to Flamingoland or Blackpool nearby.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I managed to get there finally during a visit to my wife's in-laws. So glad I did, it's an experience that you can't really describe to someone who didn't ride it.

The best I can do is ask if you've ridden Colorado Adventure at Phantasialand, a ride that tried to murder you well above what you'd expect from a Vekoma Minetrain. Take that feeling and multiply it by 10 for the second half of the ride.

The first half is more akin to a Wacky Worm.

oopnorth

Roller Poster
Considering its my nearest park, I managed to visit once. I managed 5 rides on t'ultimate on that visit before I couldn't take the pain anymore :)

My first ride, stopped right at the top of the first lift hill and there we stayed for 20 mins enjoying the view, while ride staff worked out why the system thought there was a train ahead of us (only 1 train in operation), i think the fix involved banging something with a hammer :D

I timed it that day, and it was 7min 21 seconds from dispatch to back in the station.

A unique ride, a real shame to see it go, so glad I got the opportunity to ride when i did.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Plus… the Ultimate was probably borderline unsafe from jankiness (so I hear).

I think it would be if it wasnt inspected enough. I know they used to track walk it daily and if any damage was found they'd fix it. Apparently the ride used to be so violent it would crack the steel track, and it'd have to be welded. On some of the urbexers pictures you can see where they've welded cracks and welded plates in areas. If they didnt check it so often those could have become lethal.

I remember riding it as a child and a wheel flew off during the ride. Heard a tinkling sound of metal flying around and then saw a wheel come off and roll off at high speed into the trees. We told the ride ops and they shut it down immediately. This was in the late 90's.

Really sad to see this unique ride go. I rode it a lot over the years, it was one of our local parks so we'd go there a few times a year. I think the park must be winding down for being sold off, the way the parks been run makes no sense really. They're not investing anything, only taking stuff away.

Is disappointing to see a lot of enthusiasts say they didnt get round to going etc. Its people not bothering that makes parks die sadly.