What's new

Lightwater Valley - Future?

Well this explains how the Brighton Pier Group were able to afford Lightwater Valley....

A few more 'mistakes' and they'll have the funds to RMC Ultimate in no time 😉
The woman in the story visited on April 13th and they only processed the payment this week! That in itself is a bit rubbish on top of the stupid administration error.

sneakycoasters

Roller Poster
The problem is, there's now a big gap between the thrill tier of The Ultimate, and what the park decided to retain prior to the sale. They've not been a proper thrill park in a very long time, but were doing OK in the "something for all the family" market until last year.

I agree, the biggest shame to me is Raptor Attack - they now have all that queueline space and the absolutely huge subterranean shed just sat there empty. Not really a way for them to re-use the space, and it was a good family ride.

And then of course the ultimate which is such a waste of a resource just sat there doing nothing.

The park at the moment is quite depressing, a lot of big empty concrete foundations with nothing on.

rob666

Hyper Poster
It is a big shed in a ditch with a big earth berm in front, not really subterranean at all.
They could easily slap a kiddie coaster or two in there...more appropriate to their new target market of primary kids.
T'Ultimate is the real loss, absolutely bat**** crazy unique, for many good and bad reasons.
So glad I got a last ride with a fellow geek in it's last year, and a Raptor breakdown with the lights on.

sneakycoasters

Roller Poster
It is a big shed in a ditch with a big earth berm in front, not really subterranean at all.
They could easily slap a kiddie coaster or two in there...more appropriate to their new target market of primary kids.
T'Ultimate is the real loss, absolutely bat**** crazy unique, for many good and bad reasons.
So glad I got a last ride with a fellow geek in it's last year, and a Raptor breakdown with the lights on.

3 sides of the space are actually mostly earth. The back side of the shed is 100% a shed, but the other 3 sides is mostly earth with the top quarter being shed walls and then roof. Sure, yeah not properly subterranean but still quite impressive how it's built.

Will

Strata Poster
...for the old-school enthusiasts, I just imagined what the 'Katie's Dreamland' scenario on RCT would look like if it was brought up to date, and it's a depressing state of affairs.

Then again, I did always end up deleting Runaway Plumber because it was unreliable and guests were always getting lost on the exit path...

sneakycoasters

Roller Poster
...for the old-school enthusiasts, I just imagined what the 'Katie's Dreamland' scenario on RCT would look like if it was brought up to date, and it's a depressing state of affairs.

Then again, I did always end up deleting Runaway Plumber because it was unreliable and guests were always getting lost on the exit path...

Yeah it's sad to think about. Back in the early 2000's the park felt like a place with a bright future. It's got so much space in a beautiful location.
Just seems like they could never push past the "mostly temporary rides" barrier and into a proper permanent park like Flamingo Land did (although that place is depressing in other ways).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
More hopeful than I expected… I don’t see why they’d lie either. Nobody would have batted an eye lid if they said it wasn’t part of their plans. That is, after all, what everybody expected.

Of course it’s highly likely to be uneconomical to bring the coaster back to safe working order. But maybe, just maybe, they’ll weigh it up against a replacement ride of that calibre and decide a refurb is worthwhile. 🤞

The biggest positive of this is that they haven’t flat out said big thrill rides aren’t part of their masterplan.

oopnorth

Roller Poster
I'm remaining hopeful as LWV is my nearest park.
I think we should keep in mind that it was the previous owners that went down the non thrill family route, nothing to suggest yet (that I've seen) that pier group will follow that strategy going forward.

rob666

Hyper Poster
It made lots of little kids cry...and is well outside their new target group.
Just clearing the woods would cost a fortune...two full years of bramble and sapling growth.
Then all that track to check for fractures.
They are breaking it to us gently, it will be found to be beyond economic repair, and they will, regretfully, with great empathy for the freaks, geeks and happy clappers, wreck the beast.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Better still:

Reopen it?? You're avin a laugh! we're a family park now.. (and will be, until we close for ever in about 2025....)

sneakycoasters

Roller Poster
It made lots of little kids cry...and is well outside their new target group.
Just clearing the woods would cost a fortune...two full years of bramble and sapling growth.
Then all that track to check for fractures.
They are breaking it to us gently, it will be found to be beyond economic repair, and they will, regretfully, with great empathy for the freaks, geeks and happy clappers, wreck the beast.
I can tell you with certainty that the ride path is actually clear for the most part. Some tall grass poking through the rails at one point but otherwise the track is seemingly being kept clear.

Clearly hasn't run in 2 years though I can say that.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I can tell you with certainty that the ride path is actually clear for the most part. Some tall grass poking through the rails at one point but otherwise the track is seemingly being kept clear.

Yes, Brighton Pier? We have a company in Idaho you might like...

rob666

Hyper Poster

Have you been through the second drop valley?
That is where the big knots of bramble were, that would be the big cost of clearance, must be thirty acres of the stuff.