What's new

Lightwater Valley Big Ride Coming Soon?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^Sorry, but Valley Mania confirmed The Ultimate was being extended months ago.

Yes I know, but there was no news on how it was being extended, or any confirmation on what was happening with the Rat.

It's not just about a marketing ploy, the work needs to be carried out in order to stop the severe damage the trains take every year.

The way the train slams into the corners has also been known to move the track.

So why have they only just decided to do something about it, 18 years down the line...?

And to me, the re-theme of the Rat is a half arse idea. The ride is average and is in an awful state (with lethal brakes!), it just needs to be replaced.

This really gets to me this does. LWV is one of the nicest looking parks we have, it has such a beautiful setting, but its just full of crap rides. And its not just that they're crap, they look a state too. They all look so old and un-loved as if they've just bee left there to rot.

It could be so much better than it is, and when they announce things like this, its just makes you wonder how much they care about the park! When are they ever going to announce something big? When was the last 'big' ride at LWV?

These 'investments' prove that the park does have some money to play with. So what they should do is sell a few rides, like Twister, Rat, Black Widow's web & Ladybird etc to help build up a kitty, and with money just buy a few travelling rides, like a Fabbri Drop Tower, Twist n Shout from Loudoun Castle or a standard Log Flume. Yeah they might not look the best, but they'd brighten the place up a bit and give it a bit of life. A Quick little temporary investment like that would prove a success for the park, and something for them to build apon.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
OK, where to start...

The Ultimate extension/modifications seriously concern me. The ride as it stands now is something special and unique. If the ride loses its brutality, it'll just be another average coaster, and it'll be the end of the iconic ride that we know and love. As for retaking the world length record, how is that going to help the park, really? It's already the longest coaster in Europe, so it's not as if it'll make a huge difference to marketing.

A new flat ride could be great, or it could be completely uninteresting. I've not got the strongest stomach, so if it's an excessively spinny flat ride, it'll be a no-go for me.

As for the Rat re-theme, all it really needs is some TLC. Maybe raise the height of the entrance tunnel so you don't have to duck so much, improve the capacity by adding proper blocking, improve the trains, plug the holes where light gets into the ride, and maybe add some small "rat eye" lights and scuttling/squeaking sound effects for atmosphere. The theme itself is fantastic, the ride itself is pretty good (and pretty smooth), it's just looking a bit worn and has crap throughput these days.

Lightwater to me is The Ultimate, plus an acceptable line up of supporting rides. Ruin The Ultimate (at least without a seriously impressive replacement) and there'll be no reason for me to return to the park. There's always Flamingo Land if I need a coaster fix in the north east.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
^Sorry, but Valley Mania confirmed The Ultimate was being extended months ago.

Yes I know, but there was no news on how it was being extended, or any confirmation on what was happening with the Rat.

Extending Ultimate corners was always the sole priority and was the first info released along with the extension news.

The only thing that was uncertain was the third lift hill, because at the time of release, things were still in the feasibility stages.

As for Rat, again, a re-theme has been discussed for quite awhile.

So why have they only just decided to do something about it, 18 years down the line...?

Because work costs money, and LWV don't exactly have an open cheque book.

The park has been setting aside a lump sum annually for renovation work for the past 4 years.

They figured that they can't continue to spend £60,000 a year on repairing damage.

As for Rat Ride's blocking system, change in legislation a couple of years ago stopped them from having two cars on the track at the same time.

The park are fully aware it has capacity issues, and got in touch with the ride's owner to see if he could replace and upgrade the system. Unfortunately he was reluctant to spend money on a ride that is over 20 years old.

marc

CF Legend
I think the park should go pay per ride, if they want to act like a fair then do it properly.

Ride owners will soon do the work they need to get their rides in order, it works at Bakken.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm, that's an interesting point there, Marc. LWV would make an excellent Bakken thinking about it.

There's so much space for independent ride owners to pitch up, even buying a small plot of land to make the attractions a bit more permanent. That money could then be reinvested in the park's current rides.

You may have a laugh like a three year old but that is a bloody good idea.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Sorry if T'Ultimate news was already properly confirmed - I thought it was still at the "probably going to happen" stage!

By my reckoning they'll need to add about 700 ft to T'Ultimate to get the record - that's a heck of a lot to gain by elongating some corners! They'll have to do a bit more to it.

I think it's a good move for the park though -I bet most of the GP has no idea that the UK once had the world's longest coaster, and it's a dead easy change to market.

Hornet's Nest is going because they bought a dog of a ride from Southport, I'm glad they're replacing it.

As for The Rat, imagine it rebranded as a Jules Verne-esque "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" - that could actually be really cool (if they put the effort in). They're definitely keeping the same track and turning the lights on.

LWV's had a very good year, with attendance up by around 15% - hopefully they'll put the extra income to good use. I'd love to see the park gradually turn into something like Djurs Sommerland (bouncy things! Add bouncy things! :)).

marc

CF Legend
The problem for all these parks will be next year.

Due to many people staying in the UK this year families have been to theme parks and UK attractions.

Now next year people will probably not go back to the same place, unless new things are installed or changed.

I can see many theme parks next year having lower than average gate takings.

Emmett

Giga Poster
And if the economy picks up and people decide to go abroad instead of staying at home for a holiday then the home parks will lose out.

If they do eventually lengthen The Ultimate I hope they don't touch the section after the second hill right up until near the end because I feel this section is near perfect and its where the coaster performs at its best. If they start messing with the corners and adding in new track this could totally ruin the experience and they may never get the same furiosity back again.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The park are fully aware it has capacity issues, and got in touch with the ride's owner to see if he could replace and upgrade the system. Unfortunately he was reluctant to spend money on a ride that is over 20 years old

So why the hell are they still paying him for the ride? Thats the same as someone renting a house and the landlord leaving the house to rot! They need to seem some common sense and end the lease asap.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
They should either buy it off him and upgrade it themselves or cancel the lease and replace it with a modern coaster.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I think someone said to me on Valley Mania that either he wants too much money for the ride, or its not worth it - now then, if they think its not worth, why on earth are they continuing to pay him to rent the ride? They've had it for 22 years now, so thats 22 years worth of rent. They could have bought the ride 2 or 3 times over by now.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
^Because finding the money for rent is a lot easier than finding a lump sum for the ride.

No idea how much they pay though.

I visited Lightwater Valley today. I had a great time and I'm still in pain from five rides on The Ultimate. We exited the park at about 6:00 and found a questionnaire on the car windscreen. Inside, among several other questions, was this one, which really grabbed my attention.

"Which of the following rides do you think would benefit Lightwater Valley the most?
A launching coaster (Like Rita-Queen of Speed at Alton Towers)
An inverted coaster (Like Infusion at Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
A drop tower (Like Apocolypse at Drayton Manor)
A spinning coaster (Like Spinball Whizzer at Alton Towers)"
This should've been the direction of LWV! Sorry to bring up an old topic but these rides should be in the park. Also, there was an old corkscrew coaster from Sarkanniemi that was rumoured to arrive at the park... That's still in storage somewhere (Romania I believe). New direction and to keep up with Flamingo Land

A decade out of date.
Lightwater do not have any money for investment.
Not for years and years.
An old corkscrew would not pull in any new punters.
Yh that is unfortunate. LWV could still be the buyer for G Force, but again, would they? Pleasurewood Hills? Anyone else aha? G Force is being sold (mentioned before) and they are in the process of selling it, but again, would LWV buy it for 2020

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Yh that is unfortunate. LWV could still be the buyer for G Force, but again, would they? Pleasurewood Hills? Anyone else aha? G Force is being sold (mentioned before) and they are in the process of selling it, but again, would LWV buy it for 2020
I honestly don't think Lightwater Valley are in any position to add anything large at the moment, it just doesn't make financial sense.
If you look at what works for non merlin parks at the moment you'll realise that big thrill additions really just aren't worth it, the most successful additions are IP's such as Peppa Pig (Paultons) or Thomas (Drayton). The only exception here is Icon but that ride didn't seem to draw in enough people to be really worth it, plus Blackpool are probably the largest non Merlin park in the UK. Flamingoland seem to rule the roost when it comes to thrills in the north and with their brand new coaster coming soon i think Lightwater Valley would be stupid to go head to head with them.. Lightwater Valley simply can't compete in the thrill market so i would expect them to focus on families for the next few years.

Trust me i would love Gforce to go to Lightwater Valley but when a much better coaster is coming next year to a park nearby that already has a way better lineup than you.. Maybe it would be best for them to try and draw in the families.

I honestly don't think Lightwater Valley are in any position to add anything large at the moment, it just doesn't make financial sense.
If you look at what works for non merlin parks at the moment you'll realise that big thrill additions really just aren't worth it, the most successful additions are IP's such as Peppa Pig (Paultons) or Thomas (Drayton). The only exception here is Icon but that ride didn't seem to draw in enough people to be really worth it, plus Blackpool are probably the largest non Merlin park in the UK. Flamingoland seem to rule the roost when it comes to thrills in the north and with their brand new coaster coming soon i think Lightwater Valley would be stupid to go head to head with them.. Lightwater Valley simply can't compete in the thrill market so i would expect them to focus on families for the next few years.

Trust me i would love Gforce to go to Lightwater Valley but when a much better coaster is coming next year to a park nearby that already has a way better lineup than you.. Maybe it would be best for them to try and draw in the families.
That seems true... So a little off topic but where will G Force go? Alton, Thorpe, BPB, etc. The big parks won't get it, but that leaves the struggling parks

Leon

Roller Poster

Flamingo land a better line up ? quantity maybe but id rather ride the ultimate and rapter any day over any of the tripe at mingoland sure next year may be a different story but sorry i think flamigoland is pants