What's new

Legoland Deutschland | Maximus: Flight of the Guardian| B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

Niles

Giga Poster
And we are done, all the track looks to be in, really liking the ending into that final inversion.
1.jpg
2.jpg3.jpg

Christian

Hyper Poster
If I was a kid, I would probably be more terrified of this than a coaster that takes inversions swiftly without hangtime, like a Schwarzkopf or Arrow looper. On those types of coasters you only close your eyes and wont even feel that you are upside down. Hangtime can be terrifying for kids, don't really get what Legoland have been thinking here. Combine the hangtime with the swing of the wing seats and these inversions will absolutely be felt.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If I was a kid, I would probably be more terrified of this than a coaster that takes inversions swiftly without hangtime, like a Schwarzkopf or Arrow looper. On those types of coasters you only close your eyes and wont even feel that you are upside down. Hangtime can be terrifying for kids, don't really get what Legoland have been thinking here. Combine the hangtime with the swing of the wing seats and these inversions will absolutely be felt.
The only positive side of this - it's hopefully going to have a short(er) line and so will be less painful to get a B&M +1.

Christian

Hyper Poster
The only positive side of this - it's hopefully going to have a short(er) line and so will be less painful to get a B&M +1.
I'm sure it will be butter smooth hangtime with short lines. I'm not complaining from an enthusiast pov. Fast and probably enjoyable credit for us. Surely better than a roller skater.

I just don't get what Merlin were thinking that this would be the best way to introduce kiddos to inversions.

TheTalbotHound

Roller Poster
Maybe they thought the fact it doesn't go as fast and/or take the inversion as fast would scare away fewer kids? Merlin have always been very focused on market research, often to their detriment, and this might be another case of them shooting themselves in the foot because of it.

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
I personally think it's a great fit for the park. Legoland are probably looking to extend the visitor age at the park, as I can imagine visitors will drop off once they hit 10+, whereas having a slightly more thrilling coaster with inversions will keep older kids entertained. On the flip side, families with older children may choose Legoland if they've got a few more thrilling additions.

I don't want to say they're too popular to fail, but Legoland parks are the bread and butter of the Merlin portfolio, so it would have been thought about long and hard before choosing this project.

StevenX

Roller Poster
I'm not sure that this is as misjudged as a lot of people seem to. I think the relatively low height and speed will make it quite appealing to slightly older children and their families. Yes, it inverts - but it'll look graceful going through them and nobody's going to be thinking of hang time as a non-enthusiast. I think kids will think it's a blast, personally!

Christian

Hyper Poster
Yeah, people are acting as if every child is terrified of rides, I couldn’t wait to be tall enough to ride my first “upside down” coaster.
I was terrified of hamgtime as a kid, while not being too scared of inversions. I think there were others like me.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Yeah, people are acting as if every child is terrified of rides, I couldn’t wait to be tall enough to ride my first “upside down” coaster.
I was terrified of hamgtime as a kid, while not being too scared of inversions. I think there were others like me.
Like i did with my neice the trick is to not tell them it goes upside down. Did this with Cheetah Hunt where the inversion is hidden away from the station.
By the time she realised it was too late 👿
And in the end she loved it too 🤣

Might be a bit harder on this one though. Just keep kids looking in the other direction until they are strapped in.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Fun for kids has come a long way from hoops and sticks. Some won't like it, some will love it just like Adults. Fingers crossed it works out well enough.

Dar

Hyper Poster
The building facade also looks similar to Flight of the Sky Lion at Windsor.
IMG_20221120_200514.jpg
It took a lot of concentration to see the sky lion and not a massive clown!

The only rational explanation I can think of for these being built, is that Merlin are looking at trapping the tweens market at legoland as well as the younger kids?

supersion

Mega Poster
Here are some overview shots of the coaster, now all the track is done i think it looks like a brilliant family coaster, interesting to see more of these B&M family coasters in the future.

Source

The building facade also looks similar to Flight of the Sky Lion at Windsor.

I'm really impressed with this layout, especially given it's a family coaster and Merlin-owned! (Seems very unexpected but in a fantastic way)
I'm looking forward to seeing it in motion now and how it travels along the elements! I love the color too! Very reminiscent of Galactica / Air in the early days!

Never thought I'd say it, but good job Merlin!

Ries

Mega Poster
When I look at this, I can't help thinking in a sarcastically Jeremy Clarkson voice: "The Speed!".
Wondering if these are going to be very slow inversions. Looking forward to some test videos.

I cringe about stuff like this too lol
Same.