What's new

Lake Compounce | Phobia Phear Coaster | Premier Sky Rocket 2

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Lake Compounce | Phobia Phear Coaster | Premier Sky Rock

Yuck. I loved LC when I visited a few years ago. It had that wonderful, for a Brit at least, traditional American amusement park feel. It wasn't overstated, it wasn't glamorous, it simply had that charming optimism and contentment of a park confident with itself. Popcorn, toffee apples, fizzy drinks. It was the JFK of theme parks.

But what's puff of smoke rising from behind that grassy knoll? My, it's an ugly, out of place looking Premier Sky Rocket coaster! Panic on the streets of Lake Compounce as the park rushes away in a limousine.

I was alway iffy about this type of coaster at this sort of park. IMO, only Kennywood has managed to successfully blend modern and traditional without feeling plastic like Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks. Thankfully both parks are owned by the same company so there might be a glimmer of hope. Ok, so it might pull in thrill seekers but doesn't it look really vile? Hopefully over the years it will fade and blend in with the surroundings during autumn (fall). Until then it's less JFK and more George W. Bush.

Snoo

The Legend

^This guy right here, especially as LC has a special place in my heart. It just sticks out SO much compared to the rest of the park. Hopefully it somehow works or they just repaint it in a few years. :)

Superbatboy

Roller Poster

Wow, people can find negativity in anything. Phear is a great addition to LC!

Snoo

The Legend

Great addition, maybe. I haven't seen good reviews for the ride type. Ugly? Definitely. Sore thumb in the general atmosphere of the park? Well several people agree that seems to be the case. Remember, a LOT of factors go into peoples feelings on a specific ride, new or not.

This is a coaster forum. What do you expect? Nothing but praise for everything new? You have a plethora of folks who've been on a number of rides and parks on here who are critical of most additions. You're not going to find happiness with everything.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

Snoo said:
I haven't seen good reviews for the ride type.

Plenty of people like the ride experience itself, but the general consensus is that the capacity sucks, and many fear that the ride will be as ubiquitous as the hated boomerang.

This ride type itself is a good choice for a park the size of Lake Compounce, but I don't like how they just decided to plop it in the most obstructive place possible with a Goliath color scheme.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Superbatboy said:
Hang on a mo, I said despite it being ugly and out of character, that it will draw in punters because it's a thrill ride. I've set my stall out to say why it's turd, maybe you could set yours out explains why it's a "great addition" when I think it's mediocre at best. I'm ready to be convinced otherwise!

Superbatboy

Roller Poster

Ian said:
Superbatboy said:
Hang on a mo, I said despite it being ugly and out of character, that it will draw in punters because it's a thrill ride. I've set my stall out to say why it's turd, maybe you could set yours out explains why it's a "great addition" when I think it's mediocre at best. I'm ready to be convinced otherwise!
It's a great addition for a park like LC, it's a high thrill coaster that doesn't eat up a ton of capital or land. I've been on two skyrocket II coasters and they're extremely smooth and forceful.

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

At the Great Nor'Easter ACE event, I took many photos of the construction of Phobia.

d8c7021693d23a42f35bc02eed06c548.jpg

Approaching the coaster

e7387ad9b0470bfc85048f49fc83a42b.jpg

The biggest development is the arrival of the trains.

147331741ab5dee2c486590e5727ead6.jpg

They haven't tested yet and still have to build the station.

f15a267ad0caa4919fc31f2b2eca4cb4.jpg

Underneath the train

0238971762ab73630e3afc313cf7ca54.jpg

**** magnets, how do they work?

b83580d306dfb82959f2065a36437e25.jpg

Well, they have energy supplied to them by this flywheel generator.

f40d9642f8cbae374d9b19bda84c9f16.jpg

The ride sign. The wood will be covered up by marble.

10f1baa3788b68c187f4e8e9aef0b242.jpg

The "brains" of the ride

4e3382d886a5305689a66b7921dc9f6d.jpg

Where the queue will go...

ebfa5355ba94f4e12144b48ead433784.jpg

...and the type of signs you will see in the queue (lol, taco-phobia)

8f1dba0617d75688450d05d85876c41b.jpg

Finally, a "rare" angle of my favorite coaster's first drop.

Hutch

Strata Poster

Are they just calling it Phobia now instead of Phobia Phear Coaster. It does sound better without its sub title. Also that final pic of Boulder Dash is pretty neat. Isn't it amazing that it gains so much speed from that drop?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

The area looks pretty nice. I do think the shortening to Phobia is better.

And that's a really shallow drop for one of the best rides ever(or so I'm told)

davidm

Strata Poster

First run (from their FB page)

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/LakeCompounce/videos/10153971332130272/[/facebookpost]

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

We have a POV!

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruMonVV9jc[/youtubevid]

2 things, 1) This is extremely bare in terms of theming and station. And 2) this thing dominates the skyline. This is probably a good 10-15 feet taller than the next thing I can see, which is the S&S tower.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Here's my Friday's media event and Saturday's opening day report for anyone interested.
Some of you might have watched the Facebook live or Periscope videos I broadcasted from the park and already know that the weather wasn't ideal, but the park already postponed the media preview from Wednesday to Friday and since the coaster was opening to the public the following day the event had to go ahead no matter what the conditions. It was raining on and off throughtout the two hour drive up to Lake Compounce from New York City, but I managed to still make good time and the kid and I arrived at the park a half hour early. While we were waiting in the parking lot it really started to pour down and we were fearing the worst, but it wasn't that big of a deal as I was invited to be there at 3pm even though the event wasn't scheduled to kick off until two hours later. However, right at the top of the hour the rain let up a bit and we made our way to the entrance. Fortunately that was the last time we needed our umbrellas, as it only drizzled a bit once or twice the rest of the evening.

PPCentrance.jpg

The coaster really stands out and can be seen from the Interstate, which could attract more guests. In the past you couldn't see much of the park other than the sky coaster and you would only know about the park when driving by through the I-84 exit sign.
The coaster is located at the top of the hill next to Boulder Dash's entrance where the Enterprise used to be, in between the Ghost Hunt dark shooter and the Ferris Wheel.

PPC.jpg

The first thing you notice as you approach the coaster is the fantastic sign.

PPCsign.jpg

Then there's this one that reminds me of a certain coaster at Cedar Point.

PPCmfsign.jpg

Since it was early and they were still testing the coaster, I thought it would be a good time to mount my cameras for some on-ride footage since hte park didn't have anything setup for it. However, I was informed that no on-ride filming would be permitted during the media event. This was a first for me as I've never been to a media day without any on-ride filming, so I arranged to return next Friday to do all my on-ride videos.
With about another hour and a half to kill I decided to give Periscope and Facebook Live streaming a try. The Periscope feed has expired, but here's the Facebook one:

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/videos/10153506653428639/[/facebookpost]

Since there was little else for me to do for the next hour or so until other guests would arrive, I managed to go ahead and film an interview with Jim Seay, the President of Premier Rides.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MNenLBaZ8[/youtubevid]

With that out of the way it was time for Aidan and I to take a ride. It was the kid's first time on one of these and he ejoyed it, especially since it was the first time on a new coaster for him since he rode Cheetah Hunt in 2013. I also liked it as the new energy storage system seems to give it a better launch then the other three I've ridden. Not having those silly comfort straps also helps.

After a couple of rides preparations for the event were well under way. I noticed that they had some animals under the tent near the ride entrance and went to check them out. First up was a snake.

PPCsnakesign.jpg

I don't remember what kind if was, but it's the first time I've had one wraped over my sholders. Aidan wasn't around so I don't have a photos of me with it, so this one will have to do.

PPCsnake.jpg

In addition to that snake, they also had a huge python that you could pet.

PPCpython.jpg

Next up were some insects.

PPCcockroachsign.jpg

I got to hold one of these giant hissing cockroaches. Feeling it crawl around in the palm of my hand was a bit creepy.

PPCcockroach.jpg

There were also some big black scorpions under glass (sorry no photo) as well as...

PPCspidersign.jpg

...a huge tarantula.

PPCspider.jpg

After messing with the snakes and bugs, it was time for the event to kick off. Local TV stations were busy interviewing Jim, the park manager and the coaster nerds as they came down the exit ramp, so the kid and I grabbed something to eat before the line for food got too long. After eating it was time for another Periscope and Facebook Live video:

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/videos/10153506849033639/[/facebookpost]

My phone died during the Twitter feed, so we decided it was time to head back home since I was returning the next day for the public opening of the coaster.

OPENING DAY

After another two hour drive back to the park and I arrived at 10:45am, so I had 15 minutes to spare before the park opened which was just enough time to get my gear and make the treck up to the coaster and was greeted by a new sign.

PPCbaloonsign.jpg

The weather was a bit better then the previous day and within a couple of minutes a line at the coaster entrance had started to form.

PPCcrowd.jpg

They got to eat cake for breakfast while waiting for the coaster to open.

PPCcake.jpg

I skipped the cake and went to take the first ride of the year on my #1 coaster.

BoulderDash.jpg

The park held a Share Your Phear contest leading up to the opening with the winners getting to be the first riders, who showed up right after my ride on Boulder Dash.

PPCcrowd2.jpg

I barely had time to get my camcorder ready before the ribbon cutting ceremony began. Worth watching just to see some of their phobias. :lol:

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwVF7EBEzSo[/youtubevid]

After the first riders took their go round it was time for everyone else to join in the fun.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPH_zis8Go[/youtubevid]

Next up was my interview with Jerry Brick, the park manager.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35lH3mPgPm0[/youtubevid]

With all that out of the way it was time for me to hit the road back home, but not before taking one last photo.

PPCor.jpg

I'll post my on-ride and ridercam videos after I return on Friday to film them.

Lofty

CF Legend

'Phear' makes me hate the marketing/creative team.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

^Thanks for posting and reminding me about these. Don't let the POV fool you - the coaster is butter smooth. The camera shook a little because I had to mount it to the lap bar instead of the chassis.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z13eDztBFTk[/youtubevid]

The park wouldn't let anyone ride with us, but hopefully I'll get to return during the summer and film it again with a full train.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fk3RGeyUV4[/youtubevid]

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Thanks. These coasters are great for small parks, but I sometimes wish they'd just flesh the layout a bit more :p
I wished I'd gone to the media day. I could've petted a gay to conquer my homophobia.

Hutch

Strata Poster

Do they plan to keep the bugs and snakes? I think that's kind of a cool thing to compliment the ride and the theme (even though I despise tarantulas <///3).

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

^Afraid not. Those were only there during the media event and weren't even brought back for the opening day.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster

So, Today I Learned that if you ask nicely, the ride-op running the Kiddie Coaster will let you ride without a kid. You get one ride per day though.

Hey, +1 is +1.

Not sure if this is the right place to put this. Let me know.