What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Re: Kings Island | "Unknown" | "Unknown"

Nick P said:
I don't believe B&M Inverts use rectangular supports. They use cylinder supports. The picture from the B&M plant show blue rectangular supports. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

These are almost certainly transfer track or station supports like these ones on Patriot

bp8k35c000r3e3he4641i5.jpg

76u800dhv1on2320t491im.jpg

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Hyde244 said:
Calling Beast's current station heavily themed is a bold statement - especially when the water chute used to actually operate back in the 80s when Beast opened.

Cedar Fair has never been a theming company (outside of the occasional Disaster Transport), but rather focused on place making.

I borrow this term from my interview with Matt Ouimet during GateKeeper's opening - that the concern is not a central theme full of plot and animatronics, but simply keep the aesthetics in tune with the ride. There are obviously many different theories in the amusement park industry on how best to design, theme, and conceptualize rides - but one look at GateKeeper's plaza, station, and redone park entrance will show that Cedar Fair might be onto something.
I probably should have worded that better. I did watch that interview and I have used the term place making before. I wasn't talking about Disney-quality animatronics and dark ride portions, but more along the lines of a themed GateKeeper. Maybe put one of the cattlepens in a wooden building and board up the windows or make it look like GateKeeper's but with a bit of rust on it. I would expect at the most a station like Maverick or Diamondback's but with walls and boarded up windows or maybe industrial like GateKeeper's but make it seem abandoned. Maybe have the logo out where the old water tower used to be and redo that area. If it has a story then it should be pretty simple. Maybe something along the lines of wooden plaques in the queue. I seriously doubt the theming will be magnificent but I also seriously doubt that all this marketing will be for a completely themeless parking lot coaster with a concrete block with a roof for a station and a queue line composed of a giant cattlepen. Think something like GateKeeper but slightly themed.

I was thinking and I think the scarecrows are either red herrings (I recall during the Paramount era they had a haunt called Cornstalkers during Fear Fest with scarecrows so they might have just had them laying around and put them up to mess with us) or my previously listed explanation of the Banshee being a scarecrow-like creature instead of a screaming old woman.

Regarding the actual ride itself, if it does have a straight drop then I could see it lifting, dropping straight down, and then going into a giant (160-foot-ish) Immelmann. I could also see a large batwing inversion looking good on this coaster. I expect it to feel like a larger, twistier version of Alpengeist.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I'd still prefer the giga, but I wouldn't mind an invert. just to be clear.

I do think it will be the worlds tallest invert though...

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Ah yeah can't wait for the news!

With the huge amount of space I thought a giga would be cool. Maybe a really epic giga, like the first traditional coaster to reach 100 mph? The bastard would have to be huge (one I made in no limits was 8500 feet) but the space may be there.

Is kind of crazy Alpengeist still holds the record, would be neat to see a 200+ foot inverted.
Erm, a real one not an impulse :p

Intricks

Strata Poster

See, I'm still drawn back to what Ouimett said to those that attended Gatekeepers Media Day. It was something along the lines of: "I have something big for Ron to do as his next project". An invert, no matter how tall, just doesn't seem like the scale of what he could have been alluding too. While an interesting custom layout for an Invert would be nice, I really don't see that happening there anymore when I really think about it and what all they have been posting randomly on their Facebook page.

It may have been a red herring, but the photo of Diamondbacks drop with "Would you like some more of this?" has really stuck out. They already have the longest wooden coaster in existence there, why not bring in the longest steel as well? They HAVE the land for it, and nabbing the tallest and longest invert just kind of sounds lame, like really **** lame. A Giga, given what they have done to the sister park, just sounds appropriate.

As for how the scarecrows could be added in with what they have shown so far, I present to you this:

Actually, letting my imagination run wild has its uses! This could be a ride tied into a future/possible past Cedar Point Haunt. The story could be about camping in the woods by some rebellious youths who ignore the warning signs posted in the trees. The rebellious youths start to take down all the scarecrows out of boredom and being the little hellions that they are. The scarecrows are there to help ward off the Banshee. Eventually, they get caught in the grasp of the banshee and get taken on a wild ride through the woods (granted there aren't a whole lotta trees back there anymore). Eventually they escape and live to tell the tale.

That sounds plausible, no?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Personally B&M inverts are my favourite type of ride (I've not ridden a B&M giga) so I'd love to see a monster new one. it has been a while.

However there is a massive positive if this is a Giga coaster. The beams at the B&M plant are for an Invert... this means there will be 3 new B&M's in 2014 already :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

They're going for Alton's latest record. Not "most inversions", but "most broken ride in opening season" ;)

smecn

Roller Poster

Crazy thought. Why hasn't B&M ever built anything with more than one lift hill? If this would be the longest of its kind why not build one with 2 lift hills? And if its the biggest investment in KI history it should be VERY large considering that Alpengeist was 20 million, IF it is an invert.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Because it can be done with 1 lift hill alone. If height and cost have no matter, than they can do as they please with the layout.

Im still feeling a giga with this. The early start tends to sit more with when Leviathan started to be built, and while I dont kmow how long Alpengheist took, I dont think it started 11 months in advance to the season.

Bastille

Roller Poster

Does it make good business sense to build a giga at KI? What with Cedar Point and MF just a couple of hours away, plus King's Dominion is in the same-ish area of the country. That seems like a large investment for something people may have seen.

I personally think it'll be an invert, that seems likely with the supports we've seen. The tallest, longest, loopiest invert would be pretty cool to see.

Jarrett

My money's on an invert called Banshee that breaks the height record, the length record, or the inversion record. An invert on such a large scale I think would take up that much time if it opens on Memorial weekend.

I really think this will make a huge splash and possibly be a golden ticket contender for best new 2014 attraction. Kings Island really lost their "edgy" ride when Son of Beast met its doom and while Diamondback is a great ride, I don't think it's extreme enough to be the park's flagship attraction.

Ethan

Strata Poster

2012Jarrett said:
I really think this will make a huge splash and possibly be a golden ticket contender for best new 2014 attraction

Sorry, but you don't even know what the coaster is yet! It could be a Batman clone for all you know.

smecn

Roller Poster

Ethan said:
2012Jarrett said:
I really think this will make a huge splash and possibly be a golden ticket contender for best new 2014 attraction

Sorry, but you don't even know what the coaster is yet! It could be a Batman clone for all you know.

It definitely wont be a clone since they already said that it is a record breaker.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

roomraider said:
Personally B&M inverts are my favourite type of ride (I've not ridden a B&M giga) so I'd love to see a monster new one. it has been a while.

However there is a massive positive if this is a Giga coaster. The beams at the B&M plant are for an Invert... this means there will be 3 new B&M's in 2014 already :)

Just remember, that if it is in fact a giga(which I hope it is, but I don't think it will be), then that still means that an invert is going to a park. Where? I personally think it should go to another cedar fair park, like valleyfair. it'd fit in really nicely there. But again, I still think it probably will go to KI.

Ethan

Strata Poster

smecn said:
Ethan said:
2012Jarrett said:

It definitely wont be a clone since they already said that it is a record breaker.

I was using it as an example, but you're right. Like I said, none of us know what it is, so it might not be a world beater.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

If legit, it's Twisted drop, dive-loop, loop (around the lift), zero-g-roll, batwing or pretzel-loop, another loop, over bank and a helix. Might be another inversion towards the end.

It will probably take the height and speed record.
untitled_41.png

Edit: from all the photos from the construction site, it seems to be legit.
Matches with all the footers.

Ethan

Strata Poster

For the video above...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutM1lIZ1A0[/youtube]

Jarrett

As much as I hate to jump the gun like this, I think we've got it. If this is a hoax, it's extremely elaborate and this guy just pulled the greatest prank ever. MAN I can't wait to have that an hour away from home if that's what it is! Love the loop around the lift!

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

It's the real deal.

Either that, or Kings Island has pulled of a awesome trick on us, but that seems very unlikely given the footers match.

Here's the full layout:

970838_10201584822288227_2113196874_n.jpg

Looks great really.