What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

bentcookie

Mega Poster
Re: Kings Island 2014 Roller Coaster

I will be disappointed if it is in fact a B&M Invert. Like Youngster Joey, I'm hoping for either another Hyper or Giga..

smecn

Roller Poster

I would rather it be a giga instead of an invert as well. I recently rode Raptor (in the middle of the car and towards the back of the train) and i couldnt see anything. Also, a giga would help the appearance of the park from outside.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Guess where I'll be next Thursday night.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Kings Island | "Unknown" | "Unknown"

Alright, last call on predictions.

Tallest, fastest B&M Inverted roller coaster.

Intricks

Strata Poster

TheCoasterCruiser said:
From their Facebook-Page:

We will be unveiling our plans for a new world record-breaking attraction Thursday, August 8 at 10pm at the park. The announcement will be made immediately following our nightly fireworks show. You don't want to miss it!

My guess is a B&M Inverted Giga Coaster.

Maybe length of ride? That would give them two records to uphold. Longest Wooden and Steel. Building a 200ft Invert seems completely retarded for lack of view.

bentcookie

Mega Poster

I hate Inverts for that very reason. You really can only enjoy the ride in the very front. Everywhere else you might as well just ride with your eyes closed. Still sticking to my guns with Hyper/Giga with possibly the length record..

tomahawk

Strata Poster

First hyper wing rider or first B&M 4D.

Also calling that at the end of fireworks, name or log will be shown in sky, ala Wild Eagle.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

I've never really thought about the view issue. Haven't ridden one either.
But you're right, a Giga would suit the park much better.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

As much as I want it to be a Giga, it will most likely be an invert at this point. All of the puzzle pieces are starting to fit together. First the footers, then the name "Banshee" followed by the scarecrows, and finally the Blue Inverted Supports. Makes perfect sense to me. Although, I am still secretly hoping for a Giga...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

The Cincinnati Enquirer received a media kit from Kings Island today, complete with a comb with tangled, fake hair.

9406790633_5b9985385d_n.jpg

Helps support a "Banshee" theme, as a Banshee is a folkloric fairy woman/spirit that wails when someone is about to die.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

I have mixed feelings as to whether or not they theme this one.

While it would be nice to see Cedar Fair pull out all the stops with theming something (even something along the lines of Maverick would be nice) I feel like this is a poor choice of theming for the park.

The Beast is also pretty heavily themed with the station themed to the abandoned lumber mill and old mine shaft on the first turnaround. It has a theme of being lost in the woods while on the run from a monster in the forest.

I feel like the "NO CAMPING" signs along with the construction wall hint at a very similar storyline. When I went with my cousin and her husband, they said it reminded them of Blair Witch Project. I feel like if there is too much of a storyline here, it could be too similar to The Beast.

On the other hand, if they don't theme it it would seem like a lot of buildup for nothing. There's definitely a story here as seen from the comb, construction walls, and scarecrows.

The only hope I see here is the scarecrows. They seem to have no place in the storyline I've speculated (which seems accurate so far) and the only way I could see them fitting in is if Kings Island changes the Banshee from the myth from a woman spirit to a more scarecrow-type thing that screams when somebody is about to die.

On an unrelated note, I feel like this one will be LOUD. Mantis (which was originally going to be called Banshee) has to be the loudest B&M I've ever heard and it would be appropriate for this one to be loud as well. I wonder if they have any control over the noise a B&M makes other than filling the rails with sand. I know you can make them quieter by filling things with sand or gravel (Swarm, Kracken, Silver Bullet, ect.) but can you make them louder in the cases of Mantis or Nemesis? I know neither are filled with sand or anything but I definitely found Afterburn louder than Intimidator when we went to Carowinds.

Gah, I can't wait! I had the nerdiest freak out when we went last month when I first saw the construction walls and I'm making sure to film my reaction on the 8th when I see it for the first time.

And if I finally manage to get my license next week I should be okay to drive that far next year to be there! This should be my first time ever driving to a theme park, I can't wait!

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

I get Wonderland just went Hyper/Giga, but I dont see KI doing it. Not with Cedar Fair's baby MF sitting in Sandusky.

I also dont see the company crapping on an entire year of marketing and building a bigger (better?) Wing Rider.

All that being said, from a marketing/product niche standpoint a recording breaking Invert seems like the right fit here.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

Just a thought, but is an invert with a vertical lift hill possible? Just throwing that out there. What about like a non-curved B&M Invert drop? like a steep one? IDK just throwing ideas around idk if thats possible or not but it'd be cool if it was!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

If it is a record breaking invert... what's the record. Height would pretty much make it a hyper as Alpengeist (still makes me think of a cereal monster) at 195ft holds that record.

Inversion record is Montu with 7 so 8 would be easy enough to pull off. Surprised it's not been done before.

Length record is Pyrenees at just over 4000ft.

How about all 3 just for good measure? :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Technically Wicked Twister holds the height record at 215 ft., as the only hyper invert. Definitely a different ride type, so a differentiation could be drawn.

2012Jarrett said:
I have mixed feelings as to whether or not they theme this one.

While it would be nice to see Cedar Fair pull out all the stops with theming something (even something along the lines of Maverick would be nice) I feel like this is a poor choice of theming for the park.

The Beast is also pretty heavily themed with the station themed to the abandoned lumber mill and old mine shaft on the first turnaround. It has a theme of being lost in the woods while on the run from a monster in the forest.

Calling Beast's current station heavily themed is a bold statement - especially when the water chute used to actually operate back in the 80s when Beast opened.

Cedar Fair has never been a theming company (outside of the occasional Disaster Transport), but rather focused on place making.

I borrow this term from my interview with Matt Ouimet during GateKeeper's opening - that the concern is not a central theme full of plot and animatronics, but simply keep the aesthetics in tune with the ride. There are obviously many different theories in the amusement park industry on how best to design, theme, and conceptualize rides - but one look at GateKeeper's plaza, station, and redone park entrance will show that Cedar Fair might be onto something.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLs8_lKiYs[/youtube]

I would envision the same for Banshee - general station and queue, with some nice landscaping along the way. The only theme that can be truly derived is from the name/sign, and possibly a small bit of theming, to the tune of a fence post or large rock.

2012Jarrett said:
On an unrelated note, I feel like this one will be LOUD. Mantis (which was originally going to be called Banshee) has to be the loudest B&M I've ever heard and it would be appropriate for this one to be loud as well. I wonder if they have any control over the noise a B&M makes other than filling the rails with sand. I know you can make them quieter by filling things with sand or gravel (Swarm, Kracken, Silver Bullet, ect.) but can you make them louder in the cases of Mantis or Nemesis? I know neither are filled with sand or anything but I definitely found Afterburn louder than Intimidator when we went to Carowinds.
Mantis and Raptor are both unfilled tracks - plenty of volume without the need for amplification. In contrast, Maverick and GateKeeper at CP are filled with sand for a quiet running sound.

I cannot recall if Diamondback is filled with sand at Kings Island.

Nick P

Mega Poster

I don't believe B&M Inverts use rectangular supports. They use cylinder supports. The picture from the B&M plant show blue rectangular supports. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

_BenzyOfBling_

Roller Poster

Hey guys, I recently got a notification on my phone from my KI app, reading: "Kings Island will unveil its plans for a new world record breaking attraction at the park Thursday, August 8th. You don't want to miss it!"

... My calendar has been marked, and my body is ready.

But, knowing this site, everyone probably knows this already, but I hope it's a 4D, even though it probably won't happen. If not, I hope it gets something else unique, because Cedar point is not far away from it, and Firehawk is usually the reason I go to KI. But, I guess we'll all know on the 8th!