What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

Sandman

Giga Poster
Does it look that similar?

To my eyes, the renderings look similar in style. The park(s) specifically? I'm not sure.

If I'm honest, I've barely followed this thread and know little about the Epic Universe plans so maybe I'm missing some key details. I did notice the castle/dragon which is quite clearly taken from Diagon Alley. I expect that's just a loose idea that was plonked there to highlight what they want thematically.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
And that's a pretty normal thing to do. Early renderings of the Shard indicated some public artworks from Chicago, but it didn't mean the developers were going to copy Chicago, they just indicated there would be some public artwork in a sculptural style as with similar developments.

UP87

Mega Poster
As illustrated, it is at least as complex as F.L.Y.
I doubt that. I think it'd be a lot easier as you'd have an easy construction site. F.L.Y.'s difficulty will be hard to match for any other project. It had a lot of problems before it even got started: The ground at Phantasialand is horrible as it was a brown coal mining site a century ago. Additionally the space was really limited. They could only access the construction site from one side and there's a busy street, as well.

This project looks awesome and extensively themed but it would be construction on open easy access site with easier foundation.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I doubt that. I think it'd be a lot easier as you'd have an easy construction site. F.L.Y.'s difficulty will be hard to match for any other project. It had a lot of problems before it even got started: The ground at Phantasialand is horrible as it was a brown coal mining site a century ago. Additionally the space was really limited. They could only access the construction site from one side and there's a busy street, as well.

This project looks awesome and extensively themed but it would be construction on open easy access site with easier foundation.
Not so sure the foundation will be a lot easier by the Thames. I’m only guessing tbf but I’d wager that It consists of london clay at best or sand and silt at worst, based on what I’ve read about other construction projects nearby.

Regardless, I think he meant more in terms of scale and detail rather than complexity of logistics. The point he was making was that you can’t demolish an entire area, do the ground work, put in utilities and then build an entire theme park, with very detailed theming, faster than PL can build one small area. Not in the UK anyway. And I’d definitely agree with his point.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not so sure the foundation will be a lot easier by the Thames. I’m only guessing tbf but I’d wager that It consists of london clay at best or sand and silt at worst, based on what I’ve read about other construction projects nearby.
The top layer is almost certainly alluvial silts from the river as the sites on a bend in the river on the flood plains. This won't be easiest to build on I would imagine.

The chalk bedrock isn't too deep here though so that probably works in its favour.

Having a quick look at the BGS maps it suggests there's also channels within the chalk containing sand and gravel deposits including some peat deposits. This is pottentially the major issue for the park as it seems these are well known for a variety of archaeological finds from mammoth bones to evidence of early human occupation and is part of the reason for the SSSI designation. The nearby Bakers Hole quarry seems to be especially well known for this.

The more I see and read about this park not only am I more and more convinced it won't happen but I'm more convinced it propably shouldn't happen. This is a pretty terrible place to build a park.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Regardless, I think he meant more in terms of scale and detail rather than complexity of logistics. The point he was making was that you can’t demolish an entire area, do the ground work, put in utilities and then build an entire theme park, with very detailed theming, faster than PL can build one small area. Not in the UK anyway. And I’d definitely agree with his point.
Nah, the problem is that such a coaster would be logistically difficult to build, but of course it would be exacerbated by poor soil conditions.

The tower in the centre of the ride is a heavy structure, which means deep foundations that would have to be done first. And they would go in the middle of all the coaster foundations if the track were to pass through the tower. The tower and the coaster are subject to different dynamic forces, and to avoid over-straining either structure, they would have to be built as separate, intertwined structures. That means the coaster and the tower would have to be built bit by bit tangled inside another: first a layer of structure, then a layer of track, structure, track, and so on ... probably made by different contractors too, as the coaster contractors have no experience with towering themeing structures and vice versa. That means a lot of on-site coordination. And then they want to introduce an element of fire to a coaster that already includes a wooden track and a themeing structure with enclosed spaces. All possible, but designing it in a way that would pass fire safety requirements is an expensive affair.

All in all, it would surprise me if the total cost of the coaster would be any lower than Expedition Everest, which famously was the most expensive coaster in the world until Hagrid's opened. Considering inflation and labour costs, it would probably pass a hundred million pounds for that coaster alone. It's a lot to pour into one attraction. Disney can justify it by getting a bajillion guests every year, but even the overly optimistic gate figure estimates of London Resort would be insufficient to recoup such costs any time soon.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Everyone knows I'm the first to scoff at news regarding this plank of an investment but this has actually piqued my interest.

Actual believable facts 😱

They want to build a theme park here? Swanscombe peninsula, Britain’s newest protected place
I simply can't believe they're never going to give up with this whole charade. Surely people are seeing through this now, after so many years? It'll just be another let down, despite their promises.

They're going to run around making a load more bogus claims and releasing a bunch more meaningless over the top concept art, before deserting the project.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
anyone got a spare £50k

Probably already been posted before, but if it has, I missed it, and thus missed my opportunity to take the absolute piss out of this claim...

Invest in the most unique investment project in Europe for the last 30 years​

• World Class £2 Billion Theme Park
  • Multi-IP Entertainment Resort
  • Europe’s Second Only Tier One Theme Park
  • Just 17 Minutes From Central London
  • Ranked Top 10 Theme Parks Globally
  • World Class Board Of Directors

JoshC.

Strata Poster
62wr7b.jpg

On a serious point:
Europe’s Second Only Tier One Theme Park

I've seen this "Tier One" phrase thrown around a couple of times in London Resort marketing, but I've never heard it anywhere else. It's not that I can't imagine or understand what they're getting at, but is this actually a standard phrase that I've never come across before? Or is it something they've made it up to sound more important?

I know which one I think is more likely...

rob666

Hyper Poster
According to that article, the first gate opens in 2024, that's only a couple of years away.
Come on all you geeks, freaks and happy clappers, we are meant to be enthusiasts, lets all get excited...the time is now...seize the moment.
Please.
ok

Peet

Giga Poster
😬 12% rate of return, this is sounding just like that "investment opportunity" park in Bosnia (still waiting to be paid those guarranteed profits 😅).

62wr7b.jpg

On a serious point:

I've seen this "Tier One" phrase thrown around a couple of times in London Resort marketing, but I've never heard it anywhere else. It's not that I can't imagine or understand what they're getting at, but is this actually a standard phrase that I've never come across before? Or is it something they've made it up to sound more important?

I know which one I think is more likely...
I'm assuming they're suggesting Disneyland Park as the other 'Tier One' park? It's a shame that for most people that's the best Park in Europe.