What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Sweet pictures!

I'm gonna be scared on this, no doubt. So who volunteers to sit next to me and have their ear drums blown out :lol:

Shame the webcam photo is rainy and not the best, but thanks for that A-Kid! It's nice to see the lift finally finished, it seemed to take forever to build it.

RCF

Strata Poster
Just added about an half hour ago..... Here it is.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQYsJE-_TY[/youtube]

Not the best quality but......

neo

Mega Poster
UC said:
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm saying that they're wrong, I'm right, and they should do it this way. I'm just wondering what the rationale is behind an experienced company doing something that seems rather trivial to me. I feel as though there should be a reason a bit more concrete than "aesthetics," though it seems like I'm going to be forced to accept that there isn't.

There is another reason. It’s very expensive to build a steel structure 305ft in height, so it’s economy, less supports = less expensive. The construction aid was necessary, but it had to be done for as lower cost as possible, so essentially they ended up with a steel stick. It can’t be left there now because it interferes with the cable return trench as seen in this photo:

http://www.kdfansite.com/gallery/displa ... m=97&pos=7

They could’ve designed around it, but it would’ve been more money for something that is unnecessary.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
As slow as these guys move, I doubt that they could knock over the lift hill while removing the temporary support.

I'm just curious to see how they do take it out... Does it have a telescoping bit, or will they unbolt the base / pieces, lube 'em up and sliiiiiiiide it out?

Snoo

The Legend
Hey.. now you're talking dirty. :lol:

From the looks of the support and the way the track rests on it.. it can just slide backwards. But, most likely, they'll just chop it up instead of being gentle about it.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Sweet Jesus...

i3052_681.jpg

There are finally some daytime shots of the ride:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... start=2673

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^UC, I understand completely, but I've not been the most optimistic person about this coaster regardless of what park it's in.

As for parks trimming the first drop of coasters, that's actually pretty uncommon. I can think of 4:
Mean Streak
Mantis
Excalibur (Valleyfair)
J2/Puma/Tsunami/Hellcat/whatever it's name is this week.

Three of those are in Cedar Fair parks, and that's a pretty odd percentage.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again for your benefit:
I may be right in my pessimism, but I'd rather be wrong. More fun for everybody, myself included. And when I am wrong, I admit it.

However, all it will take for CF to trim this first drop is a couple people blackout in that first turn and/or suing the park. In the US, as lawsuit-happy as the GP is, I figure it's only a matter of time.

Now, if this was in Germany, for example, I would have never suggested that it would be trimmed, at any time.

It certainly looks gorgeous, and I'm excited to ride it next spring. I also hope I'm wrong and that I love it when I do get to ride it.

In the meantime, I'll continue to question the wisdom of dropping 300 feet and immediately into a 270 degree turn at full speed, the wisdom of some of those snappy-looking transitions taken at high speeds with an OTSR device I personally don't like on other coasters that have it.

Your milage may vary. You are welcome to your opinions, but I shouldn't be disparaged for mine, either.

Oh, and since the other Intimidator is being installed with no fewer than three trims, I know that Intamin isn't the only company, and CP isn't the only park to install trims prior to a coaster's opening.

Oh, and apologies for the hair-trigger reply, my boss has been arguing with me all morning.

andrus

Giga Poster
rollermonkey said:
Now, if this was in Germany, for example, I would have never suggested that it would be trimmed, at any time.
Isn't Silver Star at Europa Park the most over trimmed B&M hyper coaster there is?? Even though it is the largest coaster B&M has manufactured it always seem to get bad reviews hence to all the trims. So I don't know about German parks never putting trims on their rides..

Status
Not open for further replies.