What's new

How would you rank these three European woodies?

Sandman

Giga Poster
1. Troy
2. Joris
3. Wodan

Possibly controversial.

I think that Troy covers all bases (airtime, speed/pace and length). It also has my favourite first drop of the three.

Joris has the racing element, which keeps things interesting. I also like the location by the lake, with plenty of enjoyable pockets of airtime, fun trick track elements and double downs etc. Joris also wins best soundtrack of the three.

Wodan is the best themed overall. It's still great fun in my opinion, but I personally don't think it does anything better than the above two. For its size, it just feels over too quickly and the layout isn't what I'd opt for in a woodie.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Troy is the wildest, most intense one but it can be a bit brutal.
Joris has the racing element and the fab soundtrack.
Wodan is the smoothest, most re-rideable of the bunch.
Which one is 'best' overall? Take your pick.

Last edited:

Indy

Hyper Poster
1. Troy - Rambunctious the entire way through with incredible pacing
2. Wodan - Large, fast, and fairly smooth, though not quite as rambunctious

3. Joris - I mean, it's a good, fun ride but it's not even in the same league as the other two

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Traditionally I was never particularly taken with Wodan or Troy and always preferred the underdog Joris for having all the other flair that goes with it, so

1. Joris
2. Wodan
3. Troy

It was riding absolutely trash last year though, and it's very nearly 6 years since I've been to Europa so now I don't even know.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Troy was absolutely hauling last September and it's by far my favorite wooden coaster now. It just delivers exactly what a good wooden coaster should, has a good layout and tons of character.
Now it's been a few years, since I rode either of the other two, but I think Wodan has the slight edge over Joris in my book. I really liked the twisting layout with loads of small airtime pops, but it wasn't exactly an outstanding coaster in its own right.
Joris is a fine coaster, but honestly I don't think it was particularly memorable for me. I would love to re-ride it one day, but Efteling seemed to be consistently packed with queues for all the major rides exceeding 60 minutes on weekdays the last time I was in NL (and I believe Joris was only running one side), so hopefully I dan get some rides in the next time I'm in the area.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Troy is the best of them. Wodan and Joris is a match up. Controversially, I would put Balder above them all.

Love the European convention of naming wooden coasters after legends.

JochemvdMeulen

Roller Poster
Troy is definitely the best of them that I have ridden.
I have never ridden Wodan so I cant commend on that.
Joris en de Draak is a bit interesting for me since i have gotten very different rides on it. One time i ridden it and it was slow and sluggish and a year later I got an absolutely awesome night ride on it.

Peet

Giga Poster
1. Troy - Rambunctious the entire way through with incredible pacing
2. Wodan - Large, fast, and fairly smooth, though not quite as rambunctious

3. Joris - I mean, it's a good, fun ride but it's not even in the same league as the other two
👆 I have nothing further to add to this.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Can't comment on Troy.

I loved Joris - was fully surprised by it. Absolute machine of a ride. My memory of Wodan is a bit rusty, however, I think it has one or two elements that just have it standing above Joris for me.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
For me:
1. Joris — wild airtime, out-of-control sudden dips and turns, amazing theming, and a genuine race each time
2. Troy — great out-of-control feeling, but no airtime at all
3. Wodan — fun ride, but a distant third

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
It was Troy, Wodan, Joris but Troy has got a little rough the last couple of years and now Wodan has pushed through, and i find it more re-rideable (Troy gives me head-rumble) so now its...

Wodan
Troy
Joris

And i love Joris - they are all in quick succession really!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Joris en de Draak - the most airtime out of the three, racing aspect is a lot of fun and it's just a lot snappier. It's also the most reridable coaster ever to me.
Troy - it's relentless, fast, long and a lot of fun, though it does have a few drawn-out parts that kill the excitement a bit.
Wodan - it ran great my last visit and feels the most powerful and out-of-control from these three, but it's a bit short and less satisfying overall.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
These all look like amazing woodies but based on what I prefer on a coaster....

1. Wodan
2. Joris
3. Troy

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The most interesting thing about this thread is not people's ratings... It's the vastly different rides that different people have had on these GCI's

GCI must be one of the most 'moody' coaster types out there. I already know Wickerman can be entirely different one week to the next, an airtime machine last week, a complete dud this week, with no rhyme or reason to it.

But it seems the same can be said for the other GCIs too. I know I caught Wodan on an off week, because despite being excellent, it wasn't even close to my rides on Troy... There just wasn't any competition. But judging by some of these answers I seem to have caught Joris on a moody day too. As it literally did nothing for me at all, not even a hint of air time (and yet still one of the best coasters in the park!!!) And yet others report vastly different experiences.

One thing's for sure, I need to get back on Wodan and Joris... And I should probably learn to reserve judgement on GCIs until I've visited the park a couple of completely different times, (not consecutive days.)

Last edited: