Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

reddude333

Giga Poster
^Yeah, I'll probably leave a tip for them so it's not like they need to ask it that way...my tip will probably be better if I figure it out myself anyway...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ben said:
nadroJ said:
I like to see this topic as a place where I can now brag about how many tips I make and make you all resent me even more for working a job where I get tips.

I made £100 today. Yay.

Sweetie, you can brag and brag, you still work in TGIs.

Ah, but it's only a part time job to supplement my learnings at Uni before I get a 'real job', so if I can work somewhere like that for like, 20 hours a week and make the amount of money I do I honestly don't mind ;]

^ Things like that make me mad (not Ben, as I know he's joking, but I mean in general), like when people say OH LOLOL YOU WORK AT MCDONALDS AND A CLUB, or lolol you work at TGIF, but it's like, I'm going to uni and making some good money, so I don't see what's so awful about it?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm... I should have thought about that Tay... I worked at the Atomic Energy Authority (National Centre for Tribology (the science of friction)), ICI Systems, and Tesa Metrology to supplement my university degree income - McDonalds would definitely look better on my CV :p

Though pay wise, they were much worse, because being a professional you don't get tips ;)

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Yes but furie, you were at University in the stone age where you weren't required to have any experience to get said jobs. Nowadays it's pretty much restaurant, bar or retail work. Or nothing and live off of your parents. Yay. XD

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I bloody did need experience [/indignation]

I worked two years (15-17) as a shop assistant/electrical engineer at a video/TV/computer repair shop. I worked with their computer system too which got me the job at NCT (doing database work), which got me the job at ICI (doing a software audit and IT support), which got me the job at Tesa (doing IT support and network design/build), which then got me my current role.

If I'd never had that job at 15 working in the shop, I'd have never got anywhere. I remember trying to get work after leaving school. "Requires 2 year's experience", "Experience required", etc for simple data input work which is why I went to college. My education hasn't done anything at all to help me get work, but the stepping stones of experience have.

Sorry, that's a direct reply to that particular point Jordan. Generally I think that work, any work, is vital. I was very lucky and got work in an area that I wanted to move in (vaguely), but I know that when I got the job at ICI, I was up against better qualified people, but having they had never worked before - I had. So just by being able to hit the ground running (you know about arriving on time, appearance, colleague interaction, etc) makes a massive, massive difference. Cleaning toilets, serving burgers or programming artificial intelligence - it makes no difference. Work history is massively important.

Sorry, that went very serious for a deliberately flippant comment there Jordan :lol:

It's because I believe that work is important, but being smug about earning money on tips. I understand it all and I respect people who are willing to do any work to get on, I just don't agree with tips for it and I don't agree with being smug any more than I agree with people belittling others for doing "lowly work". Eugh, Monday mornings!!! :p

nadroJ

CF Legend
Lol, I thought the smugness was obviously a joke as a reaction to everyone moaning that they don't get tips in their jobs XD I'm not actually smug in real life (well, I might be, but not on purpose) XD

Everyone's clearly just jel of us tip earners ;) It's a fun place to brag, haha.

Those are some pretty intense jobs, Phil. You'd never catch me working with any sort of electrical system though, I'd probably get electrocuted and die. I'll stick with McDonalds and my minor burns :p . I don't mind that I have two "lowly" jobs to be honest. As much as I moan that I have to work, I'd be moaning a lot more if I didn't work because I've been working for nearly five years and I love the feeling of being self-sufficient. I think that could stem from literally almost my whole family being unemployed and dependent on other people so I'm kinda glad I didn't fall into it, whether it be being a technician or a shooter girl, haha.