What's new

Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

marc

CF Legend
Re: Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

Well done at getting it right, I was totally wrong lol.

Looks boring though, sorry just does nothing for me at all. The launch is quiet slow and the layout just does not do much.

peep

CF Legend

NAPayne31 said:
Hobbes said:
Also, did they claim that Holiday World was the oldest theme park? I was under the impression that Lake Compounce was oldest in the US, with Bakken being the oldest in the world.

A THEME park, meaning that it was the first park to have a unified theme all throughout the park.

And the trees to the sides of The Voyage are rather tall so if they preserve as many as they can the ride can travel alongside the trees.
How old is the park then? I can't see it being over 60.

Also, Eww. B&M wing coasters are a bit awful, worst of the B&M range by far. Making it launched doesn't change that for me at all.

Ben

CF Legend
Ahhh, awesome, I'm so glad B&M are starting to build these.

Now for the debate over whether a manufacturer first is a World's first.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
If anyone had said a couple years ago, heck even six months ago, that the first B&M launched coaster would be a Wing Coaster and that it would go in at Holiday World, they would have been ridiculed on the same level as the Maverick/Aquatrax rumor.

Darren B

Giga Poster
peep said:
Also, Eww. B&M wing coasters are a bit awful, worst of the B&M range by far. Making it launched doesn't change that for me at all.

This.

They're fun, but don't blow my mind. Now the announcement's been made I doubt I'll re-enter this topic until there's an official POV next summer. Good on B&M for finally releasing a launched coaster though.

Ben, Baco was the first launched wing coaster and anyone who tries to argue with that is a moron.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
It looks like a fantastic ride to get more people to the park I will have to say that!
It has a launch, the gp love them and it's a winged coaster what the gp also love.

It's a perfect move for the park and it looks like an all round solid coaster.

rich210uk

Mega Poster
I would be concerned about how comfortable this will be with the "pinned in the seat" harness. After a launch you’re going to be completely pressed into the back of the seat with that harness pressing down on you.

That said, I find the Wing Riders a little boring so at least this adds a new element to the ride!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Glad B&M are now in the launched scene, but this won't be amazing. It will go down brilliantly with the GP though, so it's a smart move, plus every enthusiast will want to try the launch.
Not overly surprised at the launch speed, as they will want to avoid rattling, but interested to see how they develop the concept in the future.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I don't know why I was expecting the the first B&M launch to be a bit more impressive.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I bet this thing has unlocked vests like Banshee or GateKeeper so I wouldn't worry about stapling.

Like I said, this one's going to come down to intensity for me. If it rides like GateKeeper than I doubt I'll rank it above any of the other two wing coasters. But if it's intense and rides like Banshee (which I could see happening) than I bet it takes GateKeeper's crown as my favorite wing coaster.

An all this "Omg Jarrett was right!!!" reaction, was that "OMG Jarrett's farfetched theory was right!" or "That idiot Jarrett actually got something right!" Because I'm not sure how to react to this. :p

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
First to say...with 5 rows of 4 (20 riders) capacity will blow...then again its Holiday World and 1 train on Voyage gets the job done.

Otherwise, it looks like a fun little ride, and for $30 with free soda, 3 good woodies, and now this its a steal.

Ethan

Strata Poster
2012Jarrett said:
An all this "Omg Jarrett was right!!!" reaction, was that "OMG Jarrett's farfetched theory was right!" or "That idiot Jarrett actually got something right!" Because I'm not sure how to react to this. :p

The first one! It was surprising how accurate you were, except for the multiple launches part!

Snoo

The Legend
I'm on the "this isn't impressive and will most likely suck" train. Wing Riders have FAR from impressive to me so far.. and a launch isn't exactly mind blowing tbh. Also.. they will be tearing out a TON of trees.. so it will never look as glorious as it does now in these previews.

I'm thinking this is the 3rd.. some days even 4th best coaster in the park.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
I'm amazed how something cool like this is announced, and some of you are already passing judgement saying it will be the 3rd best or 4th best coaster in the park. ^

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
@Jarrett Yup, the B&M flyer restraint appears to be standard now for all B&M wing (and now inverted) roller coasters.

Is it a short ride? Yes; barely crosses the 3,000 ft. mark. Is it fast? 60 mph in 3.5 seconds won't win any quick sprints in roller coaster terms. Am I excited? Absolutely. This will be a new layout design from B&M, and new territory in general for the manufacturer with the launch. And with any luck, Holiday World will make good on its notion of having a "backwoods" atmosphere for the ride, which would do wonders for aesthetics. Will be fun to have the interaction with Voyage as well.

So yes, I am looking forward to how this ride will shape up. And now I really need to get to Holiday World!

P.S. Here is a POV on the leftside. Looking forward to that double barn fly-through.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5BVooKy2E[/youtube]

marc

CF Legend
Holiday World | Thunderbird | Launched B&M Wing Coaster

The problem is after the launch it will feel the same as every other B&M wingrider.

The launch will feel good as it does on Baco but then what? All the speed gets killed straight away and the rest of the layout is nothing new infact it's less than other Wingriders.

It's good for the park but I think it's being over hyped a tad.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ The launch will feel nothing like Baco's unfortunately. 60mph in 3.5 seconds is very much in the "family launch" bracket. You're not going to get that instant burst of speed that the Accelerators give.

I don't think this looks like a bad coaster at all; I actually quite like the overall look of it. I just expected B&M's first launch - regardless of the coaster they finally built it on - would've been something a bit more substantial.

Snoo

The Legend
The Hedgehog said:
I'm amazed how something cool like this is announced, and some of you are already passing judgement saying it will be the 3rd best or 4th best coaster in the park. ^

What's cool? It has a subpar launch as Gavin mentioned above.. and its a Wing Rider? Neither of those are impressive and from my experience with Voyage, Raven, and Legend along with bigger and crazier Wing Riders, I'd say it will be about on par with Legend on a good day, but definitely not better then Raven.

I'm not going to bend over and take it like some enthusiasts because it has a damn launch and its B&M. This coaster has meh written all over it.