What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

Leighton

Mega Poster
This may be completely wrong, but looking at my amazing representation of the structure, it is quite obvious that the weight of the lift and drop is spread over the two main lift supports, the one directly under the drop is under direct compression because the point where the support joins the drop is almost vertical.

On the other side of the crest (the lift side) the force is transferred down the lift hill track until it encounters another support, where the force is split in two again, part onto the support and part down the lift.

Looking at the first image which shows the support in a vertical position, I think it would result in a reasonably large force trying to bend the top of the support towards the station, so that support is taking some force in compression (straight to the ground) and some in a bending force (towards the station)

By angling the support against the direction of force, it will create a larger compressive force on that support and reduce the bending it will experience at the top.

18367478.jpg

Maybe :p

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
Yeah this is gonna be cramped with Comet, Great Bear, and Sooperdooperlooper; but after riding it I think it will definitely be worth it. Who knows, maybe the tightness of coaster elements will serve the ride well because there will always be a constant "threat" of danger of running into another coaster.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
^ I actually like the design, but I don't think it really goes well with the colors at all, the colors are more suited to something sleek and possibly a little whimsical, while the design would be great with a brick red and slate grey, or maybe charcoal grey and rusty orange colors, in other words a more steampunk or industrial sort of color scheme.

Thom25

Roller Poster
I was surprised at the new lift structure compared to I305, but think it will look amazing when done. Keep in mind they still have about 70 feet to go before they top off the lift. While Hershey has maximized their space with this ride, I do not think it "cramps" the park because 95% of the ride will be in the creek, which is all new land/water. When they re-fill the creek, this will be a very photogenic ride, as well as a world class thrill ride imo.

You can see the entire photo essay of today's activities putting the lift in place by clicking the Skyrush link at All American Thrills - Skyrush construction update Jan 10, 2012

michaellll

Mega Poster
Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
^ I actually like the design, but I don't think it really goes well with the colors at all, the colors are more suited to something sleek and possibly a little whimsical, while the design would be great with a brick red and slate grey, or maybe charcoal grey and rusty orange colors, in other words a more steampunk or industrial sort of color scheme.

Precisely my thoughts. It's really interesting, but not right for Skyrush.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I LOVE the industrial feel of the trusses, makes it look all the more impressive.

I'm finding it hard to pick a favourite project of 2012, they're all exciting me. I hope the trains ride well on this. And the increased number of seats improves Intamin's capacity.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

I forsee bad misfortune :lol:

QUICK! Take the sign down ;)

Switching between the hideouts'...

D1993

Hyper Poster
That lift hill looks pretty weird.
It looks like its just the support section of the track, and that the actual rails of the track that the train will ride on, arent even attached yet.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

It's cause they arent yet silly! As was stated in the group, for I305, the whole thing was a combined structure (go look at pics or something....cba). Since this isnt a tri-rail lift, the structure is to be two different parts.

Also, lift should be capped within a week or so, as the latest photo on the group was of a curved section of those being lifted onto a trailer.

Switching between the hideouts'...

D1993

Hyper Poster
^ Oh.
Hahahahaha!
I was thinking it was going to be like I305, where it was already assembled but I must have obviously missed the discussion about where the railing section of the track will be added later.
Thats really quite odd isnt it? I cant really think of any other roller coasters that have been constructed that way. Im sure there are some out there, but I cant think of any right now.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Sorry to sound impatient - but it's been a few years since I've seen such a clusterfcuk of construction as I've seen with this ride. I wish they'd just hurry up and finish it. And to add salt to that wound - it's a butt-ugly ride too.

D1993

Hyper Poster
I dont think you're not really going to notice the bolts as much from afar ...
And remember, that once the catwalks go up and the actual track, it will probably cover up alot of the bolts and make the lift hill look much better....
Plus, its only the lift hill that has these 'bolts' and whatnot - the rest of the track looks really great.
And this really is taking a while!
I mean they started so long ago, it feels like the completion of the entire project is never going to come ...

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Oh.

My.

God.

That went from one of the sexiest bits of coaster construction of the year to the most butt-ugly thing I've seen in a long time in only a week.

ROFL.

Also, why the F can't Intamuck make a normal lift hill? I half hope this thing doesn't fall apart like a house of cards on the first windy day.