Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Mark

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
So... You liked one and two.

The third confused you.

You can't remember the fourth.

GOF was good.

Number five was rubbish and confusing and you're not going to see number six.

Whoa... Backup there and do your math Taylor

Well whatever.. I've lost track because there are so many Harry Potter movies. He's like, ninety five in real life now almost.

That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read...

Did you actually pay attention that each film is set the following school year right????

And soooo many???? There have been 5!
There has been 7 Star Wars (Including the animated one)
There has been 12 Star Trek films...
6 Batman films (not including the animated feature lengths and the original movie...)

I could go on! It really isn't that hard to follow, especially considering each one of comes packed in a dvd case which tells which of the films it is. IE. Year One. Not only that, but the blurbs that they put with the film normally has a statement such as "As Harry embarks on his 4th year at hogwarts...." So again, it's not exactly hard to tell where you are in the story.

Peep, you said about why Harry Potter was moved... It wasn't just about the credit crunch. Otherwise Terminator Salvation would never have been made! A lot of people actually said it was to avoid paying massive amounts of tax because of having two blockbuster movies so close to one another, but again, this year they have two apparent blockbusters.

A lot of internet research says that Warners actually didn't want to force people into choosing between two different movies. They didn't want to have Harry Potter suffer lower takings by releasing it so soon after The Dark Knight. The official statement said that production of both this film and the next was on schedule adding that the repercussions of the writers of strike in the U.S was also a factor. Alan Horne (WB President) said "WB agreed the best strategy was to move HPHBB to July where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid summer"

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 541388.ece

ANYWAYS. I still can not wait for this movie. The trailers are fantastic and it is looking amazing. I am going to be booking opening day tickets as soon as my local cinema releases them! WAHOOOOO

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
For me, the sixth book was the one where the least happened. Or the one where the least plot stuck in my head.

I remember the end and... yeah... that's about it.

I didn't like the first two because Chris Columbus is boring, the fourth was horrible, I liked the fifth, but I have an odd like for the third film. Perhaps it's because it was a far cry from the first two, or maybe it's just because I liked the time stuff, and the cinematography was occasionally more exciting than Columbus would ever think to do.

It looks about as good as the last one: watchable, but so very forgettable. Meh.

Mark

Strata Poster
^To be honest Taylor, that statement from you means absolutely nothing, considering you also found Indiana Jones so confusing when the rest of us thought it was a no-brainer, easy going film.

Harry Potter is not hard to follow in the slightest, if you are actually bothering to pay attention to the film. It has to be kept reasonably simple so as to no exclude the under 12 market! If an 8 year old can follow the plot (and also hasn't read the books) why can't you?

kimahri

CF Legend
Harry is good guy.
Voldemort is bad guy.

Harry fight voldemort.

Harry win.

Harry just baby.

Voldemort come back.

Voldemort tries special tricks.

Harry and Voldy fight again over a 7 years.

Other stuff happens

End.

It's not really that hard.

Mark

Strata Poster
kimahri said:
Harry is good guy.
Voldemort is bad guy.

Harry fight voldemort.

Harry win.

Harry just baby.

Voldemort come back.

Voldemort tries special tricks.

Harry and Voldy fight again over a 7 years.

Other stuff happens

End.

It's not really that hard.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahah, talk about the barest bones of the story!

^To be honest Taylor, that statement from you means absolutely nothing, considering you also found Indiana Jones so confusing when the rest of us thought it was a no-brainer, easy going film.

Harry Potter is not hard to follow in the slightest, if you are actually bothering to pay attention to the film. It has to be kept reasonably simple so as to no exclude the under 12 market! If an 8 year old can follow the plot (and also hasn't read the books) why can't you?

Maybe if you had bothered to read my entire Indiana Jones review, you'll notice that the sound went out in some of it, so we missed a lot of the dialogue.

I'm not even gonna explain myself, I don't care if an eight year old found it confusing or not.. If I did, I don't need to justify WHY I did. I just did.

And his like, hit it and quit it relationship with the chinese girl.. Wtf?

Mark

Strata Poster
Actually Taylor, you had a pop at me for saying that the film was a no-brainer. (Indiana Jones)... and I quote...

liveforthelaunch said:
Mark said:
If you want to sit and just enjoy a bit of a no brainer it is a great feel good movie. I thouroughly enjoyed it!

Indiana Jones was not a no brainer! You may have thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can definitely say I was thoroughly confused from about halfway through until the end. It was a decent film though.

And back to Harry Potter...
Well, the whole relationship with Cho (The chinese girl) was emulative of the relationship troubles that all teenage boys go through. Hormonal time bombs and that. It was also a doomed relationship because she was still grieving for the loss of her previous boyfriend, Cedric, the boy who died in film 4. Which is also explained in film 5 by Hermione.

^ Well, now you know the sound went out and that is part of the reason why Indiana Jones confused me.

I don't see why it matters to you so much that I'm not Harry's number one fan, and that I couldn't follow the series. Like.. It's not a tragedy or anything.

Mark

Strata Poster
It doesn't matter to me so much...

I was merely pointing out that the series really isn't that complex if you pay attention. I was also noting the fact that I simply can not understand your difficulty in following the films (considering my opinion that the films are very easy to follow). I've commented on your opinion, you have commented on mine, which, I believe, is what they call a discussion... No one said they had to match.

nealbie

CF Legend
When all is said and done, Harry Potter is a children's book. Hence the easy to follow storyline. I don't care what anyone else says "But OMG it's got an adult version with a different cover" springs to mind, yeah it does, but the story remains the same. JK doesn't include explicit threesome sex scenes between Harry, Ginny and Cho. In fact I believe the only thing that changes is ruddy to bloody, oooh 'eck, stop the presses! :lol:

^ HARRY HAS A THREESOME WITH GINNY AND CHO?

Wasn't Ginny like, wayyy younger than him?

And I do know it's a kids book, but I remember we read the first one in grade two, and it was far beyond our intelligence levels at that point.

Ollie

CF Legend
What is you you find confusing about it Taylor? Is it the plot? The characters? Etc.
I can't see how a film like that can confuse you though it's aimed at young children.

The films are nothing amazing anyway.

Lain

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
And his like, hit it and quit it relationship with the chinese girl.. Wtf?

Harry ditched Cho because Cho's pal ratted out the DA to Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad, and Cho sided with her, rather than with Harry and the DA.

Simples.

As for HBP, I'm simply quivering with anticipation.

mrclam

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
And I do know it's a kids book, but I remember we read the first one in grade two, and it was far beyond our intelligence levels at that point.

... coming from the person who found the films confusing?