The Letter "H" is Pronounced...

• Aitch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haitch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I know a while back there was a number of rants by, let's just say, some angry CFers about pronunciation of words. I can't remember if this was mentioned or not, but how do you pronounce the letter "H"? This stemmed from a debate/argument I've had the last few weeks with a mate...

It's "supposed" to be pronounced the first way (aitch), but it doesn't sound right and very few people I know pronounce it that way.

So, aitch or haitch?

I thought haitch would have been correct. But I still pronounce it aitch because it's easier.

I say Haitch as you've got the Hur (hard to spell sounds) sound that the letter makes when you say it. :p

Surely if we're being proper about this, it should be "Aich" vs "Haitch"?

You don't get the "t" sound either if you don't use the "h" at the start ;) :roll:

And no prizes for guessing which one I voted for! :lol:

Aitch definitely, but then again I am not British or so, nor have a clue about slang, relating trends etc.

A-Kid said:
Haitch.

Aitch makes you sound common. Sort of.

I'ld say it was the opposite.
Haitch makes you sound common, as it is not even a real word!
Aitch is definitely the correct way in pronouncing the letter.

A quick Google search getss this decent paragraph:
As for people who pronounce the letter H as haitch instead of aitch, this really used to get on my tits until learnt that these people were so certain that their pronunciation was correct that you could win easy money off them in a bet. Even after they handed over the money most of them insisted that the dictionary was wrong because their teacher had taught them to pronounce the letter that way. A high proportion of haitchers seem to come from Ireland where perhaps haitch is the correct pronunciation.

(Yes, and I do find it funny that there is a mistake in this article!)

Source: http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/aitch?view=uk

I would've said I interchange between the two randomly.

Having said that, if I'm trying to make a concious effort to spell something clearly, I'll use the "Haitch" pronunciation. It's clearer.

Aitch all the way. A Hampshire/southern counties accent tends to drop the H when saying words anyway. ("'ello, what 'ell is 'appening 'ere?" for example.)

I agree with Mike "Galf" Austin, saying "haitch" sounds common...then again so do I.

Aitch... I think. I've said the first half of the alphabet a few times to check and I said Aitch then. But I feel just as comfortable with Haitch. Also, I'm a Sountherner, to back up Ian's point.

Haitch here, but what do I know? I can't even say air properly! :lol: