What's new

Grona Lund to Expand for 2024?

Jonsson

Roller Poster
I saw in the video on the website the big coaster that screamed a Vekoma next gen then went away at one point and became a ferris wheel. So has there been a change of the plans or just as a potential option?
It's just concept art of what the zoning plan will allow to be built. No rides have been decided upon. The new area will be ready in about 4-5 years from now.

Christian

Hyper Poster
The expansion has finally been approved by the court. Although a small part of the land will not be owned but leased from the king. In total they will be allowed to build 6 tops of 45 meters, either on one ride or multiple rides but a maximum of six 45 meter tops. Parks and Resorts have said they they plan multiple rides. They will also build a public dock by sea. They say the expansion will be opened in 4 to 5 years.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
45 meters is quite small considering what they already have in the park, and it's not like they have local residents to contend with.

Anyhow, we discussed whilst there that Grona needs an Intamin launch buried underground which launches under the road and pops out of a building within the main park vertically, with numerous airtime hills circling the park before lots of twisty stuff in the new area. Cutting edge of course.

In reality they will put something less impressive in but if they do half as good a job as they did on the monster area then we are in for a treat. Or Slag, as the swedes say.

Leo_coasterfan

Roller Poster
Although the timeline has probably shifted a bit since i asked them when the roller coaster in the expansion would open, i would still like to mention that when i asked them they said they wanted the roller coaster to open at the same time as the expansion.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Not sure if this has been posted yet but could the supposed Vekoma be a tilt coaster? They have a placeholder layout, but notice how it has a random thick tube under the top of the lift hill. A regular coaster wouldn't need this, so maybe its trying to indicate a sort of substantial structure at that point (plus the track goes through it lol, so clearly the 3D modeller added the tube later)

The vertical first drop and twist would of course work with the tilt mechanism too, similar to what the Saudi SF one was going to have.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Not sure if this has been posted yet but could the supposed Vekoma be a tilt coaster? They have a placeholder layout, but notice how it has a random thick tube under the top of the lift hill. A regular coaster wouldn't need this, so maybe its trying to indicate a sort of substantial structure at that point (plus the track goes through it lol, so clearly the 3D modeller added the tube later)

The vertical first drop and twist would of course work with the tilt mechanism too, similar to what the Saudi SF one was going to have.
Yes, I have spoken about it possibly being a tilt coaster before which is what I think it'll be personally.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I am sure Gröna Lund will be taking this expansion very carefully. They have worked on it for eternity, the issue has been raised with the king and courts. It's really a big thing for them. With that said I don't think they will right at this moment be coming for some prototype. So no Tilt or Axis at the moment. Though they might hold the expansion a year or two and analyse the tilt opening at Cotaland and Energylandia. See if it is reliable and draws crowds. If that's the case then they might get one. Gröna Lund will be careful to make this thing perfect, they cant afford not to.

I think most things could be on the table except for something over 45 meters, a woodie (due to space required and the many good woodies in Sweden) and a drop coaster (due to Valkyria). I am super exited to see what they eventually will go for.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Looks like the expansion is still going ahead and the concept art has changed quite a lot (but still screams Vekoma).

Screenshot_20240307-121654_Discord.jpg

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It's on FaceBook too, in English this time:

*He says, and then proceeds to post a link that appears on here in Swedish. 🤦‍♂️
But when you click on it, FB auto-translates it, Insta doesn't. Well, not for me it didn't anyway.
In a nutshell, building permit applications are in.

Last edited:

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Have attempted to break down this mess of a layout, follow the color gradient from red to blue;
imageedit_5_4856228852.png

What we can divulge from this;
  • Single launch, possibly with airtime hill
  • Starts off with a Zamperla Double Heart / Luna Park Big Dipper style pretzel inversion mix
  • Around 5 inversions by my count, doesn't include the twisted orange portion
  • Entire station portion is underneath the main stack
  • Layout is purely designed with pacing and space in mind, hence the lack of big elements / gradual descent after the red/orange pretzel
  • Train in concepts is short and designed to navigate these really tight elements. Appears to be a 3-car, 12-seater (EDIT; Revising to four car)
  • Final straight section at blue is the break run, no further coaster action
  • No midcourses

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Assuming rolling launch the lack of a MCBR isn't a huge deal, I expect it will be a sub 60 second ride so will hit the final brakes around the time of the next dispatch anyway.
Looks good though. @chainedbanana saw something that Vekoma teased which looks eerily similar to this.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
The concept art looks amazing! Owning so little land, I am sure that Grona Lund will invest wisely. However, I am somewhat disapointed that they didn't go for a tilt coaster (as rumoured) or even an RMC Raptor, given that their sister park already has one of the biggest RMC coasters on Earth.

Jonsson

Roller Poster
In an interview with Dagens Nyheter (major Swedish newspaper) the CEO of Parks & Resorts, Christer Fogelmark, stated that they are in talks with several manufacturers regarding the coaster. He also stated that it's supposed to include a "world's first". The concept art looks 100% like the Vekoma Airtime Trebuchet though.

He also said the expansion is fully financed and planned to open in 2028. The building permits submitted now are for the perimeter buildings, which will be the first to be built.

The theme for the whole area will be the Stockholm exhibition of 1897 during which a 100 meter long large hall with displays of the latest machinery was situated on the same spot as Gröna Lund now will expand.