What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

peep

CF Legend
You lucky peeps, getting to go 02 Wireless Festival and Muse at Wembley, one is very jealous.

Oh well I have my tickets booked to see Kalxons in Brixton, shame it isn't until December. Hopefully I'll get to a gig before that, more than likely be my friends gig in August, but one will have to wait and see.

Mark

Strata Poster
kir said:
I SAW KELIS AT G-A-Y! She started her set at 2am, and I ended up just staying in London all night, and didn't get home until 8am!
damn you, DAMN YOU DAMN YOU

I am so bleeding jealous now. I tried to get in touch with you to see if you were going. I really really REALLY wanted to go, but had no one who wanted to go. Plus I was working at 815 the next morning. I should have just left my work clothes in my locker dammit.

I so unbelievably jealous of you right now.

[/shedding tears] Well, I am glad you had a good time.

I just hope she starts touring hear soon!

What songs did she sing?

kir

Hyper Poster
Mark said:
What songs did she sing?
Get Along With You, Young Fresh N New, Millionaire, Keep It Down, Milkshake, Trick Me, Rolling Through The Hood, Trilogy, Till The Wheels Fall Off, Blindfold Me, Lil Star and Bossy.

Here's a few videos some people took of Lil Star, Trilogy and Millionaire:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 2037253928
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQM6ICRNTJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6G9acUjq6s

Trilogy, Keep It Down and Get Along With You were definately my favourites of the evening. Her voice is just so fantastic live.

You can really see how close she came to the people in the front row! She was on fire, it was amazing.

thx

Mega Poster
^nice to hear that you enjoyed it muchly :)

I went to Raumanmeren Juhannus on Thursday, it's a big festival in western Finland, having over 90 000 visitors during 3 days. The festival was K-18 (which means forbidden under 18 year old people) so you could bring in alcohol, although not on the designated music areas.
Anyways, I went there because they had some good finnish hardrock bands (none of them really known abroad though) and some great electronic artists, like good ol' Sash!, DJ Orkidea and Super8 and DJ Tab.
Sash! started half an hour late, but he still managed to have a really nice set , there was all the hits, like Ecuador, Adelante, Encore Un Fois, Stay etc. It was really good, and after that I was going to listen to some rock, but there wasn't anyone on the mainstage, I waited 15 mins. Then had an overpriced 3.5£ for a 0.3L long drink and went to Mecano Beach where all the DJ's played.
DJ Orkidea was amazing, really great set, good atmosphere, aaahh. After an hour or so it was time for Super8 and DJ Tab and they were no less than fantastic!! Totally blew my mind away, just from heaven!!!. Helsinki Scorchin' , Needs To Feel, Year Zero-mix was some of my favourites.

They played first for solid 2hrs until (02.30am), then the audience started shouting we wan't more! and they continued playing a bit, although 2 big bass speakers were off, they only played some 'fillers' it was a bit boring, I listened to it for 20 mins. more and left then because they were about to close the gates and I slept in another place on the way home.
I had a brilliant time, here are some photos.
005mainstageub0.jpg

The mainstage

sashbo4.jpg

Sash!

rmj1dk9.jpg

The ground was mainly filled with nice beach sand and the usual trash.

rmj2qt9.jpg

orkidealo5.jpg

Orkidea, btw. Orkidea means Orchid in Finnish.

themecanobeachstagevk4.jpg

The Mecano Beach stage.
super8tabpf0.jpg

Super8 & DJ Tab.
palmrmjae6.jpg

<3

Martyn

Giga Poster
Awesome stuff Tommi, though I'd have probably thrown tomatos at Sash[unecessary exclamation mark], Orkidea and Super8 and Tab must have been pretty fantastic! I'm quite jealous now. Quite funny that you mention a YearZero mix from Super8 and Tab when that's probably what I know Orkidea best for!

peep

CF Legend
Lewis said:
Enter Shikari on 1st November.

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

Lewis.

lol, I'm seeing them in November too, got my tickets booked the other day, can't remember the date though. All I know is that its at the Brixton Academy in November. Well I did say I wanted to see someone before Klaxons in December lol.

I might be seeing my friends band perform in August too, I think its in Twickenham or something.

Will

Strata Poster
Wow. Just ****ing Wow!
Still reeling from the incredible performance that was Maiden's exclusive gig on Sunday night. Once again, completely worth the high ticket price, and Maiden gave their usual stunning, high energy performance, which I heard others in the crowd actually rate ABOVE their Download show (which was equally impressive from what I saw online)!

Great setlist comprised as expected of half Matter of Life and Death and half Number of the Beast, with a couple of other favourites thrown in for good measure. Whilst it was easy to see which songs got the best reception, I'm a massive fan of both new and old material, so there was enough to keep my attention throughout. In fact, that was probably my only complaint - no filler track to go and grab a drink in - I didn't want a miss a single moment, and so ended up suitably dehydrated by the end.

Not a lot more I can say, as words really cannot do justice for the atmosphere and performance of a Maiden concert, especially this small gig, the crowd consisting of the 5,000 or so biggest fans, whose united voices were drowned out only by the occasional ear-splitting scream from Bruce - to be able to make that sort of noise at almost 60 years old is an achievement in itself - I'd love to think that I'll have that sort of energy and crowd controlling powers when I could legally be collecting my pension!

The only slight moan is to the Brixton Academy - whilst it does appear better designed for theatre than music, it's a great venue. However - why do their staff expect people in the seating section to remain seated, for health and safety, or something stupid. Of course, diehard Maiden fans are unlikely to take this 'sitting down', and the stewards gave up moaning after 3 songs, but it made the concert opening that bit less enjoyable - the staff's eventual acknowledgement that this crowd was not to be controlled was a great relief... but seriously, what sort of venue would expect this, at a metal gig of all places :?

And now there's the long wait until the 2008 Powerslave tour (as it takes a long time to build a pyramid :p) - but the good news is that Clive Burr was reported to be "looking disgustingly healthy", meaning there may be plenty more Brixton charity shows in the pipeline - see you there next year :D

In the meantime... can I justify another 100 quid to do it all again for Metallica in July? Or would it just not live up to the standard, following easily the best gig I've ever seen? Decisions, decisions...

themeparkphreak

Roller Poster
Hyde Park Calling on the 24th of June...utterly amazing.

Well, I say that...we got early entry, because we booked through the fan club, so were right next to the catwalk. The first band (well, chap with band), Micki Free, were ace, then The Answer, Jet and Chris Cornell...who played for far too long...

But yeah, Aerosmith headlined, played their first gig in England for 8 years. They came on late, and had to finish after about 70 minutes of playing, wet, cold, but worth it!

robbeal

Hyper Poster
peep said:
Lewis said:
Enter Shikari on 1st November.

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

Lewis.

lol, I'm seeing them in November too, got my tickets booked the other day, can't remember the date though. All I know is that its at the Brixton Academy in November. Well I did say I wanted to see someone before Klaxons in December lol.

I toyed with the idea of this tour too. I'll see them at Leeds though, and if there's any tickets left by then and I fancy it, I may just go.

Kraken

Roller Poster
Just got Dream Theater tickets for Newport on Nov 9th :D

Is it weird that I'm going with my geography teacher? He is kind of cool like that, he offered us a lift cause hes really into the whole prog scene. He went with a few of my mates to Porcupine Tree the other month.

We are on a mission to get him drunk! :p

On another note, Machine Head was announced as the fill-in support act instead of BFMV at Wembley. Machine Head and Metallica on the same night! :D :D Can you say insane? It made my week.

Will

Strata Poster
!!!Bastarding hell...!!!
I said I'd go if Machine Head replaced them, because of how ****ing awesome that would be! Hmm... will have to check finances :( But not looking too likely :(

Will

Strata Poster
Ha :D
**** knows how, but I've just won a ticket on eBay for £20 :lol:
Wembley, here I come :)

(Just a shame you can't get cheap trains and travelodges on eBay :lol:)

samuraiprincess

Roller Poster
Reading Festival

Anyone going to Reading festival this year???
Its my first ever music festival dont really know what to expect but im sooo excitedd!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
I go to Leeds every year, and it's great fun!

All the bands say we're nicer than the Reading lot though! :lol: You'll have to tell me if they say the opposite!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Reading Festival

samuraiprincess said:
Anyone going to Reading festival this year???
Its my first ever music festival dont really know what to expect but im sooo excitedd!

I did Leeds a few years back and had a great time (what I remember of it :lol: ). I also wasn't sure what to expect, but it pretty much met those expectations ( ;) ). Getting in is a bit of a rugby scrum free-for-all between 20,000 people, but after that, it's all good.

If you're going with friends (a group of you), do what we did. We made up a word we'd shout, so that the others would know where you were at arranged meeting places, or if you saw somebody 20 feet away in a crowd. Saved on us having to worry about mobiles and stuff (and you have to split up, as different people have different tastes). We also had set meeting spots (roughly), which meant we never ended up completely split up.

If anyone at Leeds in 2004 heard blokes yelling "FACE", then that was us! :D

You'll have a fab time though Georgie. Just remember, the water is free, but you can't take in bottles, just save a bottle from the start of the day and refill :)

Mat

Hyper Poster
I was thinking about going, but it will be full of chanvs and gangsters, I really would'nt enjoy it. Hopefully next year I will do the Isle of Wight one as a mate of mine is over there, so should be cool.

peep

CF Legend
Re: Reading Festival

furie said:
If anyone at Leeds in 2004 heard blokes yelling "FACE", then that was us! :D

I went to Reading in 2004, so same year, different location. All I remember was an awesome line-up, just like this year and that is why I am very annoyed that I don't have tickets for this year as nearly all my favorite bands are playing.