What's new

Gardaland | Oblivion: The Black Hole | B&M Dive Coaster

Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Gardaland | Oblivion - The Black Hole | B&M Dive Coaster

Yes, it is a brand by terminology and if the Italian general public don't know the correlation between both Oblivion coasters, it is STILL a brand, it has nothing to do with perception. Both parks are operated by Merlin, both parks have a coaster with the same graphic styling and drop coaster concept with the same name - therefore, they've created a brand.

Also - it is a new logo? The concept is the same, the icon is very similar but has been heavily modernised.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

Guess they're doing the same thing Seaworld Entertainment did with Manta. Definetly not a fan of the color but the name is meh.

andrus

Giga Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
Hmm. Interesting choice from Merlin there and it's one of hell of a mouthful isn't it?
'Do you want to ride Oblivion The Black Hole? I mean Nemesis Inferno has a bit of a ring to it, but I can imagine the GP being blissfully unaware of the 'black hole' part.
Obviously the park visitors will only call it "Oblivion". "The Black Hole" is merely a sub-heading; much in the same way as "Shambhala - Expedición al Himalaya". I think it's a very effective way to quickly communicate a backstory of a ride :) At least I certainly get that it's a coaster dropping into a dark hole only be reading the sign. :wink:

CoasterCrazy said:
Oblivion is a good name though, and as said above, it won't seem out of place to 99% of its audience, plus it ties in well with the theme of the wormhole, or whatever the vaguely scientific theme is.
100% agreed. Oblivion is probably one of the best coaster names ever! It's short, creates tension/anxiousness and has a good sound to it :)

CoasterCrazy said:
Who cares about the name anyway...most of us enthusiasts will just give it a horrendous nickname regardless...'Blivvie Jr. anyone?
Oblivion - the Glory Hole :wink:

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Yeah, the correct terminology is a tagline. A separate piece of text as a design and description aid to the initial branding name, like McDonalds' 'I'm Lovin' it'... they are very similar in nature to a 'slogan' and can be called either, but in terms of an entertainment/attraction, they're referred to as 'tagline' :)

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

We have testing! Apparently without the holding brake on the first drop...

Imagine if they kept that setting. Some serious airtime in the back!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLXjxH2j90[/youtube]

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

It's now testing with the holding brake! Seems to fly through at quite a reasonable pace, should have a good flow to it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrNVlL_26-s[/youtube]

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

^ Yeah, it clears the Immelmann way faster than Krake, but for obvious reasons of course.

EthC

Mega Poster

Some new themeing pieces that give it the [strike]airport[/strike] secret government base look...
thumb_image_10230.jpg

But on this close up image you can see that some of these elements look like they are getting sucked into the "black hole". I quite like that tbh and it looks like it could be a good head chopper as well :p
332111d1423059493-2015-neuheit-oblivion-black-hole-dive-coaster-b-m-gardaland-italien-stream5r.png

Also the standard Merlin "themed on new ride" room picture has popped up as well :D

331487d1422578837-2015-neuheit-oblivion-black-hole-dive-coaster-b-m-gardaland-italien-0.2.0.r-sliderhomepacchettomissionoblivion_695x311_ita.jpg

Finally also reading Coasterfriends.de and TPR, the Top Spin at Gardaland will not be returning this season a bit like the way Submission was confirmed to be closing at Towers.

TilenB

Strata Poster

EthC said:
Finally also reading Coasterfriends.de and TPR, the Top Spin at Gardaland will not be returning this season a bit like the way Submission was confirmed to be closing at Towers.

Brilliant, they are removing their last decent flat ride. I mean, what's with the Italian parks removing all of their extreme flat rides? I guess that Movieland now has the best flat ride selection in whole of Italy and even theirs is mostly down to having that Vekoma Waikiki Flip (I'm open to any correction).

Martyn B

CF Legend

I HATE the white, but apart from that I think it looks pretty neat.

nadroJ

CF Legend

It's got that 'trying to be futuristic but actually looks hideously retro' look going on. It's vile.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Gardaland | Oblivion - The Black Hole | B&M Dive Coaster

Looks like they're trying to hide the entrance to the tunnel to me. I actually quite like the ride so far - it's got a pretty solid dive machine layout, and I quite like that bridge into the station. Hopefully they'll add more theming to Raptor's extent! I do think keeping the tent is vile though.

As for the top spin removal, that's just stupidly unnecessary really. Yes it's not that popular, but to just flat out remove it, without relocation, theming or replacement, is just silly. That means Gardaland has only one proper flat left...the midget drop tower. That's after they removed their perfectly good Huss condor for a glorified playground that next to no one uses. And, since Gardaland already has a prezemollo land, just what's the point? Merlin have only ever added one flat ride in their entire history - kobra, which could be marketed easily as a coaster. Imagine the flat ride potential at GL too - Starflyer please :p

At least they they're not getting Italian I'm a celeb ;)

spicy

Giga Poster

Has to be the ugliest coaster ever. If your going to copy a good theme and brand like Oblivion's just copy it.

White track and White supports on a coaster called Oblivion - the black hole? Really?

andrus

Giga Poster

spicy said:
White track and White supports on a coaster called Oblivion - the black hole? Really?
It's the hole that's supposed to be black, not the coaster :wink:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

elephant58 said:
Yes, but it's not supposed to be white either!

Is it not? What dictates the colour of a roller-coaster? Did Merlin perhaps order the wrong colour and couldn't be bothered to complain?

I'm sure it's been mentioned countless times that it's white due to planning regulations given the location of the ride on the shores of Lake Garda... But sometimes facts get in the way of an argument...

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^I was joking. Of course I know that it's supposed to be white, I was just making a reference to how I and everyone else thinks that the colour of the coaster isn't exactly the nicest.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

At least they are not making it a carbon copy.

Sure, Nemesis Inferno didn't and wasn't exactly a brilliant idea, but still, better to try and fail than not try at all.