What's new

Gardaland | Oblivion: The Black Hole | B&M Dive Coaster

TilenB

Strata Poster
Re: Gardaland | Oblivion - The Black Hole | B&M Dive Coaster

Nemesis Inferno said:
elephant58 said:
Yes, but it's not supposed to be white either!

Is it not? What dictates the colour of a roller-coaster? Did Merlin perhaps order the wrong colour and couldn't be bothered to complain?

I'm sure it's been mentioned countless times that it's white due to planning regulations given the location of the ride on the shores of Lake Garda... But sometimes facts get in the way of an argument...

That's surely why there's a park a couple of hundred meters down the road that has just erected a strikingly blue coaster of about the same height...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Whatever the reasoning comes forward for painting the coaster white... it's white.

Boring.

AltonShowers

Roller Poster

TilenB said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
elephant58 said:
Yes, but it's not supposed to be white either!

Is it not? What dictates the colour of a roller-coaster? Did Merlin perhaps order the wrong colour and couldn't be bothered to complain?

I'm sure it's been mentioned countless times that it's white due to planning regulations given the location of the ride on the shores of Lake Garda... But sometimes facts get in the way of an argument...

That's surely why there's a park a couple of hundred meters down the road that has just erected a strikingly blue coaster of about the same height...

What ride are you referring to?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Literally the only thing I can think of to justify the white color of this coaster is a certain look to help with the theming. The ride is themed to a government base of sorts. There's a USAF base right next to my college campus and I drive by it every day I go to school. Driving by all you see is strange, large metal white structures dotting a grassy field full of buildings. Scaffolding, giant spheres atop towers, it all looks like really unfamiliar technology and driving by it's just strange white equipment. I feel like the park could have been going for that look here but they failed epicly. It's a roller coaster, we all know what it does, and the shapes you see are too familiar to look like military base infrastructure painted that familiar white color. Kind of a stretch but I feel like that might be what they were going for. Didn't quite work, though.

Still ugly as **** though. Hope the theming around the ride makes up for it.

andrus

Giga Poster

There's a whole lot of negativity going on around here.. Am I the only one who actually like the colours?

The reason why it's white is simple: the roller coaster is themed to space. All things space are white; space stations, space shutles, space suits. They're all white. Why? Because white reflects the most sunlight, and you certainly want to avoid getting burned without a protective atmosphere in space!

Also; that whole area of the park is white, with the space themed drop tower next door. Anything but a white colour of the coaster would make it stick out like a sore thumb.

And; white is a very popular colour at the moment. A lot of this has to do with Apple of course, but the popularity of the colour is starting to spread like wildfire across other brands as well, and other products like cars, household articles, architecture etcetera. The only place where white hasn't been very popular that I know of is roller coaster design. Until now.

AltonShowers said:
What ride are you referring to?
He is referring to the Vekoma invertigo "Diabolik" at Movieland Park, relocated from Six Flags America.
a7nd1i000lhr000004s4vh.jpg

bmac

Giga Poster

White has been a standard color on cars for well over 40 years, just pointing that out.

andrus

Giga Poster

bmac said:
White has been a standard color on cars for well over 40 years, just pointing that out.
Standard: yes. Popular: no?

Okay, so I realise that my statement might be a bit hasted since I'm only aware of the Scandinavian market. BUT: during my entire life white has always been considered ugly and cheap on cars, and have only really been used on carpenter cars and cheap manufacturers like Dacia, Suzuki etc. Up until now, when almost all high end cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc are being ordered in the colour white! It's no joke when I'm saying that almost every second car that is reasonably new has the colour white in Sweden!! But of course, that might be totally different in the US and other places..

Sorry for going off topic.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Latest press release, exciting bits in bold.

"Oblivion - The Black Hole”
the new vertical plunge rollercoaster
the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe

Gardaland unveils the theming, the interactive path
and the mysterious space-time tunnel

Everything is almost ready at Gardaland. Oblivion - The Black Hole, the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe is standing tall, with its magnitude, its vertical plunge and the dazzling white of its tracks, on all the Park’s attractions.

But if the track has already been completed, it’s the details of the theming that are now attracting attention, while waiting to find out what this attraction will offer in terms of emotions. Along with the vertical plunge fall inside a mysterious black hole and the incredible inversions, the added value of this sensational attraction is the theming of the area and the richness of the special effects: from the interactive path leading up to the entrance of the attraction, to the boarding stage and to the out and out rollercoaster experience. It is going to be an extraordinary, incredible journey that will ideally cross a mysterious space-time conduct, a link between planet Earth and another space and time.

The white colour of the track- a very original choice for a rollercoaster – was chosen to harmonise the attraction with the vast themed area – which also includes Space Vertigo and Flying Island – and to offer an atmosphere NASA style. The fearless ones who will dart aboard lightning-fast trains, devised and made to resemble space vehicles, experiencing a journey like the ones we dream of as children. And who has never dreamt, even if for just a second, of being an astronaut? Who knows, maybe a future Samantha Cristoforetti, the young Italian astronaut, will also climb aboard Oblivion - The Black Hole, ready for the fantastic emotion of a “launch” into space…

But on top of the space inspiration, Guests will be attracted by the crux of the Oblivion experience - The Black Hole: a hole with enough gravitational field to attract and suck in everything. Besides the mouth of the tunnel there will indeed be unusual elements, completely distorted and sucked in; it will feel like being “dragged” inside the conduct, almost like being “swallowed”: part of the roof of a saloon, a windmill, a little cart, a water tank, 3 TV aerials and the van of a TV crew which had arrived to document the strange phenomenon…

Everything will appear deformed by the powerful gravitational forced generated by the “black hole”.

But this is not all, because another captivating characteristic of Oblivion - The Black Hole is the interactive path preceding the boarding of the new rollercoaster. The waiting line will be, in itself, an unforgettable experience! The path will indeed start inside a technological training centre where, through advanced software that enrich sensorial perception – you will be able to immerse yourself in the adrenaline-filled experience that leads to the train. Special effects, sounds, light games and innumerable new gen LED screens will open the way to the overwhelming and sensational journey. But will everybody be capable to climb aboard? To erase any doubt, the fearless visitors, during the wait, will face tests and pass trials; a voice will guide them through each required action. A mission in perfect NASA style: from the feeling of being launched inside a tunnel, to the balance test, to the mind-blowing 3D optical effects and the out and out boarding, inside the station. The Oblivion - The Black Hole shuttle is ready to welcome all passengers! Then, between sky and earth, among twists, turns and unexpected obstacles the extraordinary and exciting rollercoaster will bring the most fearless passengers to fall from vertiginous height, at mad speed, in a vertical plunge into oblivion, through the mysterious space-time conduct on the way to a new dimension. And contact with reality will inexplicably vanish…

“We began from the concept one year ago, moving from a planning-creative phase to the realisation of important sculptures that we are currently positioning in the area. Specific professional positions where needed for this project: architects, planners, sculptors audio/video technicians, carpenters, painters, experts in iron manufacturing… a coral organisation of many companies for the development of this great new area” - says Gianluca Ghedini, Gardaland Division Creative Manager.

42.5 metres high, 87 degrees of inclination and a speed of 100km/h: those are the numbers of Oblivion - The Black Hole, the first Dive Coaster in Italy and the longest one in Europe.

Only for true daredevils, from 140 cm in height to 99 years of age!

B-tFWxjW4AEJP9A.jpg

B-tFXldWoAIygkR.jpg

B-tFBa4WkAAtztJ.jpg

TilenB

Strata Poster

Woah, that's quite awesome! Sounds like an updated version of what Space Vertigo's queue is like. I mean that one was cool when first opened in 90s, but looked rather outdated in 2011... I wonder if they are going to do something with that one as well. :D

And I can't wait to ride this thing. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

All of a sudden, this roller coaster got much more appealing.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Yeah I, er, I really like the sound of it actually.

WHATS GOING ON?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Now if only Garda could make good on that concept art, and have a swirling vortex of smoke/mist during the drop. #JustSayin

EthC

Mega Poster

The themeing around the underground tunnel is just EVERYTHING! Love it!! :--D

1964814_859450444096031_1394550838739151163_n.jpg

Plus some pictures of the very, very industrial warehouse type look of the station and queues.

1508110_859450460762696_2085262115884598799_n.jpg

1907605_859450664096009_8849282600838043528_n.jpg

1743519_859450744096001_60814589203545184_n.jpg

10565152_859450857429323_7225894146775249847_n.jpg

10981348_859450797429329_7415547977842048791_n.jpg

1926898_859450680762674_4928123680220513717_n.jpg

peep

CF Legend

Ok, yeah, this is starting to look rather impressive. Really intrigued by what will happen in the tent part of the queue where it'll be "interactive".

AltonShowers

Roller Poster

I really hope they put some shade over the queue line like some trees or just a white sheet over the top, because this might happen :(

images

(not me)

TilenB

Strata Poster

At least they're putting that fugly tent to some use.

^ Majority of the queue will be indoors, so the outside part of the queue will only be used in the event of heavy crowds. At least that's the way I see it to be.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPuSeRyB-Rw[/youtube]

Full POV.

It looks ok, but the zero-g is so unusually slow. Maybe this was recorded on a cold morning with no weight, but it's oddly shaped too. hmm