What's new

Future developments at Dollywood

Matt N

CF Legend
I can't help but point out the fact that although you say you much prefer smoother rides and don't really tolerate rougher rides, Mine Blower is in your top 10.
It might help that I only rode Mine Blower once, in the front row and on a practically empty train, but I don’t remember it being particularly rough, personally. To be honest, it seemed relatively smooth compared to other woodies I’ve done! As I’ve expressed numerous times, I do not have an especially high roughness tolerance, but I don’t personally remember Mine Blower being unbearably rough by any means.

My relative lack of experience with woodies might not help here, but I’d probably say it’s up there as one of the smoothest I’ve done, possibly just being pipped to the post by Wicker Man.

It may have ranked lower had I ridden it towards the back, however...

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I can't help but point out the fact that although you say you much prefer smoother rides and don't really tolerate rougher rides, Mine Blower is in your top 10.
People are complicated!
I love forceful rides. More airtime, intensity, elements, the better. Yet, MForce still a top 5 that I could marathon all day and not tire. Enthusiasts can (and have) fight me : )

And see above! We can't even all agree on what is rough! But yeah, I can only vouch for others. I know quite a few that said that was one of their fav parts of the ride, but eh I get it.... Also someone said they rode it today and were surprised there was still a solid pop of air and didn't notice the trims so there ya go

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I was worried about this, but then I remembered how awful that part was to ride, it was really uncomfortable.
It's probably still my fave Gerst, as it's different to anything else, and is now arguably better.

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest, how does Mystery Mine actually ride, for those who’ve done it?

Even though I’m not a huge fan of Gerstlauer Euro-Fighters in general, it’s a ride that intrigues me, as it has a very unconventional layout, and almost looks to be a 50/50 split between dark ride elements and coaster elements as opposed to being an out-and-out thrill coaster, which I think is quite different for a ride of this style; even though many Gerstlauers have dark ride sections prior to the actual ride itself, Mystery Mine is the only one I can think of that’s quite so immersive and dark ride section heavy.

In terms of the coaster track and train, some of the elements used also look very unconventional, and the ride generally looks very different to any other Euro-Fighter out there. It doesn’t look particularly intense or forceful on camera, but I almost wonder whether that might make it smoother or more enjoyable than some other Euro-Fighters. Is this the case?

I think it’s a ride that interests me, because some people seem to love it (I’ve even heard some call it their favourite at Dollywood) and others don’t seem so keen...

Hutch

Strata Poster
Out of interest, how does Mystery Mine actually ride, for those who’ve done it?
I'd say it's my favorite Euro Fighter for all the wrong reasons.

If it had none of the theming, it'd easily be the worst one. It has the usual Gerstlauer transitions which ride like ass. Now the middle portion will be much better without the drop into the overbank, but that whole section will still be pretty lifeless anyway.

But I love main drop into the inversions. Between the theming, special effects, and unique features in the drop (won't spoil), it was a great way to end the ride. I actually like the slower indoor portion in the beginning too.

But yeah, essentially the theming and uniqueness make it decent.