What's new

Formula 1 2009

nealbie

CF Legend
ohhhhh Toyota, who let THEM in?

Also, it's good to see the open/non-biased mindset going into Todt's Presidency. He hasn't even done anything yet and he's still Satan in disguise.

So that's Marc, Patrick and Slayed who aren't allowed to talk about fair opinions anymore ;)

marc

CF Legend
He done enough in Rally, Sports Car and F1 to show he is not a team player.

But I will see how it goes with him.

I just hope they dont interview him on TV, he is more boring than boring man at Bakken :)

jokerman

Giga Poster
I wouldn't sya that Toyota brought nothing to the sport marc. I'm not sure what you are expecting from them. They have had some interesting drivers. I want to know where Kobayashi is going now, or else that was a very short F1 career.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yay. Typical Marc. :lol:

"Yes, he worked for Ferrari, therefore ANYTHING that he ever did cannot be good. He is unsporting blah blah blah"

Fact of the matter is he has ALWAYS been successful as a boss. Why should running the FIA be any different. Yes his ethics are questionable and he always ****ed up the second driver in a team like Irvine, Barrichello and that French Rally driver whose career he ruined at Citreon. But he gets the job done.

That is what the FIA needs right now. Someone who take the ideas of the majority and get them done by whatever means necessary. You can't have it both ways ;)

marc

CF Legend
Neal he was like that way before Ferrari, I did not like the guy even before he joined Ferrari. I used to watch sports car and saw how he was with his team, making sure only certain drivers would win.

As a boss he is good so I think he will do an ok job at the FIA, as a sportsman he is not good but in one way that might be better for the FIA.

I do not think he will favour Ferrari anyway, if he is ever seen to people will come down hard on him.

After 8 years in the sport Toyota won nothing, that is what I meant. They could never get the big drivers to drive for them and tbh they done a poor job. With the budget they had they should have won races but just always fell behind.

nealbie

CF Legend
I did mention the bits before Ferrari ;)

The problem with Toyota was the way that they set up shop. Their business model was wrong when it came to Formula 1. Which ultimately led to not winning.

They threw practically ALL of the budget at the car for round 1. But did little to no updates. Creating an obvious trend of being up there to start with (and rather unfortunate not to do better at times, USA 2005 springs to mind) and then would tail off as the season went on and competitors improved their cars.

But obviously they're no McLaren, so in Marc's eyes they brought nothing to the sport :roll:

Emmett

Giga Poster
Its a pitty because I was always rooting for Trulli to win with them. Now and then he would produce a great result in qualifying but didn't really do much it that race. They always just seemed to be one of those mid field teams who just plodded along.

Its really going to be strange next year with all these new teams coming in and so many drivers without teams at the moment.

marc

CF Legend
In my veiw RBR, Jordan, Brawn even Force India bring/bought more to the sport than Toyota.

Both these teams acheived more with smaller amounts of money.

I just dont see Toyota being missed, thats what I mean. If Sauber do not get a grid slot they will be missed more than Toyota.

It has nothing to do with me liking Mclaren at all btw. Toyota with their budget and factory should have won many races like people thought they would when they joined F1.

Even when Toyota made a Ferrari copy using the real Ferrari plans they could not win. They had their best year with that car btw. Before you start saying that never happened look it up online, people were arrested over it.

marc

CF Legend
RBR do not have the budget Toyota had over the years though.

When Toyota joined they spent silly money over the 1st few years, its only been this year that they cut back.

The biggest spenders in F1 2007 were

Ferrari
Mclaren
Toyota
BMW

Its also down to fan base. Yes Toyota had a huge following in Japan, but I dont think many other countries fans supported them. Which is why I dont think they will be greatly missed.

I have seen many great F1 teams come and go over the years. Infact only 3 teams remain from when I started watching F1.

nealbie

CF Legend
This year's Brawn had very close to the 2008 Honda Budget.

Red Bull have MASSIVE sporting investment. And technically speaking spend the most in Formula 1 with all of their development plans, driver programmes, lower level teams (Toro Rosso) etc etc.

Force India, Mallya's worth well over £1billion. Plus he has his Indian Mafia "donations" :lol:

Jordan was run by a tight little Irishman, so less than Toyota.

marc

CF Legend
The Brawn car was built by Honda yes, but the actual budget Brawn had this year to race with was small. This is the reason Button had to pay for his own travel etc.

RBR budget is big but again last year they spent less than Toyota. Plus STR won a race :)

Mallya might be rich, but the teams budget is small.

Renault actually won a lot with a budget smaller than all the top teams.

Fact is Toyota have spent more than teams that have won races and have a large following.

People support Force India as they are the under dog.

Budgets for 2008 see link below.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/09/22/t ... get-4456m/

nealbie

CF Legend
Hehehe. Yes, I agree. But that's not the full budget, that's a very simplistic view on it. It leaves out all of the silly contributing details that often amount to a hell of a lot.

nealbie

CF Legend
For the 3rd year in a row, Schumacher has won the Nations Cup for Germany in the Race of Champions.

Now for the "Champion of Champions" RoC competition :p

Schumacher vs Ekstrom in the Final

But the rally driver wins. Button and Vettel both lost in the Semis. I love the RoC it's such a fair way of putting ace drivers against each other. Although it is slightly biased towards rally drivers. But still love it. Well done Ekstrom 3rd time he's won now :lol:

nealbie

CF Legend
Are they all allowed to anyways? I thought everyone except for BMW signed up until 2012?

So legally speaking, surely they can't?

marc

CF Legend
What people have worked out for Toyota is even if they have to pay the fine it is still less than racing.

I read the thing what Ferrari have said, and I could not work out what they were getting at tbh. To me it looked like they were saying they have replaced Max with another Max and its like a book where you dont find out who is really running it until the end.

I just could not work out what they were saying tbh.

This is the one I read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 344166.stm

The Renault story is also confussing. There are like 3 versions at the moment. One saying they are in for 2010 only, another they are selling the team and will be engine suppliers, and another saying they are stopping 100%. So shall wait for that one.

Force India might take action against Lotus for using their old car design, this is against the new rules. If you worked on a car before and leave that team you can not use the design for a new team. Mike G left Force India and now works for Lotus.